the 100% directionless thread

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Doing our Med Refresher training today. So turns our we may be getting Lucas on all Fire companies as well.
So I guess they are replacing you guys since you guys gonna be ambulance drivers now. ;)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I've officially had a hypoglycemic pt arrest on me now. That was a plot twist I was not expecting.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I got to pet a kitty cat today at work. Made my day.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
F

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Asked my doc if we could start a beta blocker while we wait for the neurology appointment. She prescribed me metoprolol and... I just RAN up a flight of stairs and then carried a v. chonky toddler down and NO dyspnea or palpitations.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Managed to make it through my shift yesterday. Pretty convinced I cracked a rib or two, local ED's are currently running at a 7 hour wait and as far as I know there is nothing they can do for me, so I guess I'll never know for sure.

Tylenol seems to keep me comfortable till I cough or sneeze.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Anyone else watching Tropical Storm Henri?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
On the topic of classes. @Carlos Danger and @E tank. Yall got any info worth considering or that you think is valuable for someone debating the CRNA route? I know the surface level concept, but I want to know the lesser known aspects of what yall do (good and bad) that you think people should know.

I'm leaning towards PA right now, but what I do know about a CRNA encompasses what's probably my favorite part of being a Paramedic.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Managed to make it through my shift yesterday. Pretty convinced I cracked a rib or two, local ED's are currently running at a 7 hour wait and as far as I know there is nothing they can do for me, so I guess I'll never know for sure.

Tylenol seems to keep me comfortable till I cough or sneeze.

I can't imagine a 7 hour wait. Do you have to baby sit the Pt., or do you go back in service? But, we only run 3 ambulances. It can get suckee if one of them is out on a transfer. Transfers are 4 hours, at least, round trip.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I can't imagine a 7 hour wait. Do you have to baby sit the Pt., or do you go back in service? But, we only run 3 ambulances. It can get suckee if one of them is out on a transfer. Transfers are 4 hours, at least, round trip.
Pretty sure he was talking about himself being the patient.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty sure he was talking about himself being the patient.
Yes this.

I fly but even at the level 1's around us, ambulance crews don't hold a wall for more than a few minutes, with the exception of one hospital that might take 50 minutes for registration (if we don't have a critical patient we hold up a wall too). Even with the long lobby waits locally, they hold beds open for EMS.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone else watching Tropical Storm Henri?
We're watching TS Linda, which is making a beeline for us. A week ago it peaked as a Cat 4 Hurricane but has since lost a ton of strength and is now "post-Tropical Storm", may even be a TD by the time it reaches us, unless it suddenly gains energy again, though that's the unlikely bit.
Yes this.

I fly but even at the level 1's around us, ambulance crews don't hold a wall for more than a few minutes, with the exception of one hospital that might take 50 minutes for registration (if we don't have a critical patient we hold up a wall too). Even with the long lobby waits locally, they hold beds open for EMS.
Dang, in my LA days, it was far more common for the hospitals to have the ambulance crews wait with the patients, even if it is a 7 hr wait (I once held the wall for 8 hours, and that wasn't even a record with the guys I knew...). Sending someone to the waiting room from the gurney wasn't unheard of, but was more a uncommon treat that you could not expect, no matter how basic of a BLS care patient they were...

Even more so than minimum wage, and LA Co being LA Co, that was the number one driver of burnout I think, especially when you'd clear an hours long wait at a hospital, find coverage super low because everyone is also holding the wall so now you have to relocate to some street corner or immediately get another call..

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Doing our Med Refresher training today. So turns our we may be getting Lucas on all Fire companies as well.

But there's something going on with the State in terms of how the legislation deals with reciprocity. Apparently it's going to be easier? Where since we pretty much all already have NREMT we might be able to transfer that to a State EMT? (Right now there's like a 2 week required transition course so we'll see how all that plays out).
Whats interesting is in relation to the rumors about how Fire may take over EMS in the not to distant future (there's already some talk of bringing in FFs to supplement staffing there) so this is potentially a step in that direction....

Bit at the same time as a Department we're still operating as First Respnder level with only Oxygen available as a drug we carry so who knows

What’s the deal with Hawaii scope that a two week transition course is needed?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
So my captain is getting forced on the other end of the county… 3 hour drive to the station. Oof.