the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My boyfriend said when we got to the apartment, about a 15 minute drive, I opened the console and pointed to my pistol to remind him to bring it in.

I have no recollection of this. So it was weird to wake up and see my gun on the nightstand where I keep it when I'm in bed and not remember how it got there.

The ride back was a big blur. I faintly remember talking to him, bits and pieces. He was asking me about the pharmacy I'd be using and stuff.

It wasn't a bad experience to me. I was glad to be home anyway. He's about to start his capstone of his paramedic, so if I did have some delayed reaction to the procedure or anesthesia, he would at least know when to get help. He's no dummy.

He was disappointed I didn't say anything funny from the anesthesia.

Last time I was under anesthesia was when I was like 17 and 20 for a scope. I came out of that pretty quickly, they'd also intubated me for that.

But this is the first time I've got so much missing memory. Weird feeling.

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
They usually have people chill out until they're walking and alert, but with COVID, I think they wanted to get people out of the door.

I dunno.

1-2 discomfort. I took 2 Norco yesterday 6 hours apart, but I couldn't tell if that made me a little wonky or not or if that was still the anesthesia.

My face is pretty much back to normal though. Swelling really went down. Only minor pain where the impacted tooth was.

Maybe they gave me too much sedative.

Afterall, I was asking about what meds they were giving me. After he told he he'd already administered the Fent, there was a small discussion on me size. Height and weight. He was surprised when I told him I was about 5'4.5" and 100 lbs. He didn't think I was that small under the blanket they'd given me to help me keep warm

So maybe they just gave me too much of everything. I dunno.
Covid or no Covid, they still shouldn't have sent you home in that condition.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
@Carlos Danger How do you feel about that PACU discharge?
Ugh that's just ugly lol. It's no secret why dental anesthesia has such a rep for being shady.

They usually have people chill out until they're walking and alert, but with COVID, I think they wanted to get people out of the door.

I dunno.

1-2 discomfort. I took 2 Norco yesterday 6 hours apart, but I couldn't tell if that made me a little wonky or not or if that was still the anesthesia.

My face is pretty much back to normal though. Swelling really went down. Only minor pain where the impacted tooth was.

Maybe they gave me too much sedative.

Afterall, I was asking about what meds they were giving me. After he told he he'd already administered the Fent, there was a small discussion on me size. Height and weight. He was surprised when I told him I was about 5'4.5" and 100 lbs. He didn't think I was that small under the blanket they'd given me to help me keep warm

So maybe they just gave me too much of everything. I dunno.
I can't say that they necessarily gave you too much of anything, but discharging someone in the condition that you describe ("too flaccid and out of it to walk") is unsafe and irresponsible. It probably wasn't that they wanted people out of there because of COVID.....it's that they don't want to expend the resources necessary to properly recover patients.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Ugh that's just ugly lol. It's no secret why dental anesthesia has such a rep for being shady.

I can't say that they necessarily gave you too much of anything, but discharging someone in the condition that you describe ("too flaccid and out of it to walk") is unsafe and irresponsible. It probably wasn't that they wanted people out of there because of COVID.....it's that they don't want to expend the resources necessary to properly recover patients.

My boyfriend said they tried to get me to get into the passenger seat of my SUV from the WC and step onto the running board, and I tried to comply, but again, was just so out of it my motor control was like next to nothing.

I don't remember any of that.

But I guess. What's to do now? What's done is done.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Complain?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
The irony.

Me terrified of the dentist/surgery:

That wasn't so bad

Y'all: That was absolutely terrible

Guess I don't know the standard of care for post anesthesia

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My workplace says I can't come in to get caught up on PCRs I've been getting buried in, but if I want to do them from home for free, then that's okay.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The irony.

Me terrified of the dentist/surgery:

That wasn't so bad

Y'all: That was absolutely terrible

Guess I don't know the standard of care for post anesthesia
And of course pretty much no one does, which is why places like that get away with doing what they do.

Not that you could never find a hospital or surgery center with similar practices, but there are clear standards in medical anesthesia and also accreditation standards that cover these things. Dental anesthesia is like the Wild West, though.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
What I said is

"I've been held over 3-4 hours with little downtime in-between these last few shifts, I'm sure it's got something to do with all the people that left.

I'm just trying to get caught up.

I don't see the point of waiting until shift when either way, it has to get done and I need to be clocked in to do the work.

As time goes on, it's more difficult to complete reports as details get forgotten.

And billing can't be completed without the report. It's more cost effective just to allow me to come in extra to get all these reports done so the transport can be billed.

This is very frustrating that we're consistently overworked and not even allowed to get a few hours paid to finish the reports you threaten to suspend me for. It's honestly exhausting.

And when I'm on shift next, there's no guarantees to get time off when we're run almost constantly now, more than ever.

Your orders are to work off the clock for you? Is that correct?"

No reply yet.

Going to check in on applications tomorrow.

Last edited:

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
"do respect"

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I cannot wait to get out. But if I don't make my move carefully, I'll get desperate. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I need some reprieve.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Suicide attempt?
Respiratory failure. Pneumonia.
Not alive for long with those numbers.
Well I managed to prevent that, at least for the duration of my involvement. Since then....who knows.
Organ donor?
I doubt it given the pneumonia, her lungs sounded like she had herself a gnarly infection. 82 y/o F and I didnt even make it much past B to look very deep down the recent discharge papers and get a full history.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
If I could stomach the taste of alcohol, this place would have me drunk every off day. I think I understand poor coping mechanisms now.

But that's no good anyway. Gets me nowhere.

I just need to work harder on getting to a better place.

One day...

Seirende

Seriously, quit today and go work at Uber or Instacart or something. @Jim37F can tell you about that

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Yeah but legally I can't let these PCRs just hang in the balance anyway. I still owe it to the pts to write up my remaining PCRs

Seirende

Eh, you're a grownup and can make your own mistakes, but after the job experiences I've had I wouldn't stay there a second longer than necessary. Two weeks notice at the most.