the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
LiquidRide is vastlllllly superior to air ride suspensions which I think make people motion sick, among other issues. We need 4x4 so LiquidRide is really our only option.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Civvies to work and civvies to home. I like to be comfortable on my drive to work and to home.
I just wear my PT clothes. Sweats on sweats on sweats. And a change of clothes in the bag to run errands after work. But on the way in at 0darkthirty, work jammies ain't bad. Also avoided a ticket thanks to my outfit recently thank goodness.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Ughhhh. Tomorrow is the big day. Tones gonna drop on me. 😬

Study protocols and all that. I slept from like 0800 to 1700.

Have a few errands to do.

Geez I'm getting a little nervous/amped.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Well it looks like a new oven is in the plans. Two days off and I come home to an oven that doesn't light.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I'm getting a bit anxious about getting in over my head with school and finances and living by myself and future employment... but hey, I'm already in over my head being alive with this brain, what's another failure or ten to add to the pile?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm getting a bit anxious about getting in over my head with school and finances and living by myself and future employment... but hey, I'm already in over my head being alive with this brain, what's another failure or ten to add to the pile?

I used to think that. But I realized failure to me was being too scared to try, too scared to learn, to ask questions, to love, to give 100%.

That if I've lived my life good and honestly, doesn't matter what happens, I didn't fail. In some ways yes there's a kind of failure. You scored a 60 on a test or was late to shift.

But you just double down and put in more effort. (Not saying specifically you. Just in general my life philosophy)

Cause I've never regretted so much than to say "Maybe I shouldn't because I'll look stupid or fail" and to have not acted.

I know life goes through ups and downs but even with everything, I pray at night to offer thanks for the day and my life. I thank him for the roof over my head, the good in my belly, the patch on my arm and the work I do. I thank him for the man I love, the family that steps up, the friends that support me, the school in going to go to, the opportunities I have.

I'm done wasting my life thinking about "What if I fail". 23 years too late, but not unsalvagable.

Changing my attitude and learning to live on my own for myself was the best thing. Staying humble and giving thanks, especially during hard times.

Attachments

• what-if-i-fail-oh-but-my-darling-what-if-5835857.png
    what-if-i-fail-oh-but-my-darling-what-if-5835857.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 111

CALEMT

Haha, welcome to adulting. I’m stoked about our new cordless vacuum we have coming. This is what my life has become...

Well at least now I get to match the stainless fridge.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha, welcome to adulting. I’m stoked about our new cordless vacuum we have coming. This is what my life has become...
Im super upset about our dust buster. I bought it to vacuum cat litter. It literally has one job and it doesnt suck at it.............meaning it doesnt pick up litter......like at all

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I used to think that. But I realized failure to me was being too scared to try, too scared to learn, to ask questions, to love, to give 100%.

That if I've lived my life good and honestly, doesn't matter what happens, I didn't fail. In some ways yes there's a kind of failure. You scored a 60 on a test or was late to shift.

But you just double down and put in more effort. (Not saying specifically you. Just in general my life philosophy)

Cause I've never regretted so much than to say "Maybe I shouldn't because I'll look stupid or fail" and to have not acted.

I know life goes through ups and downs but even with everything, I pray at night to offer thanks for the day and my life. I thank him for the roof over my head, the good in my belly, the patch on my arm and the work I do. I thank him for the man I love, the family that steps up, the friends that support me, the school in going to go to, the opportunities I have.

I'm done wasting my life thinking about "What if I fail". 23 years too late, but not unsalvagable.

Changing my attitude and learning to live on my own for myself was the best thing. Staying humble and giving thanks, especially during hard times.
To quote Christopher Titus, "I don't fail...I succeed in finding out what doesn't work."

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I live 3 minutes from work. Uniform both ways.
3 minute walk to work for me. Walked out of my apartment at 1555, clocked in some time before 1600.

Why do you have to go so negative.
Its still a perspective that you should consider and ask why its that way. I have a pretty poor opinion on my employer and may seem negative (because I am). I dont hide it at all even from new hires. But I'll still shoot the **** with locals that I've taken to the hospital for years for being too fond of their alcohol and try my hardest to get the heroin addicts to take the resources I have to offer. I dont let that negative view make me hate what I do, but my negative opinion of my employer has been repeatedly reinforced over many situations and years. So when people are pointing out red flags, there may be a reason...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have a pretty poor opinion on my employer and may seem negative (because I am). I dont hide it at all even from new hires. But I'll still shoot the **** with locals that I've taken to the hospital for years for being too fond of their alcohol and try my hardest to get the heroin addicts to take the resources I have to offer. I dont let that negative view make me hate what I do, but my negative opinion of my employer has been repeatedly reinforced over many situations and years. So when people are pointing out red flags, there may be a reason...

I’m curious about this. You say you’re negative about your employer and you don’t hide it from new hires. Why do you stay? Should your employer terminate you? if they did, would they be justified?

A vocally sour employee was the topic that we were just discussing in a class I took on on culture change. We had a pretty lively debate about this issue.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Its still a perspective that you should consider and ask why its that way. I have a pretty poor opinion on my employer and may seem negative (because I am). I dont hide it at all even from new hires. But I'll still shoot the **** with locals that I've taken to the hospital for years for being too fond of their alcohol and try my hardest to get the heroin addicts to take the resources I have to offer. I dont let that negative view make me hate what I do, but my negative opinion of my employer has been repeatedly reinforced over many situations and years. So when people are pointing out red flags, there may be a reason...

Naw man. There's a difference of "I know those suspensions sounds pretty cool, but here a few things to watch out for...."

I am not saying things can't not work as well as I'd hoped or that the grass isn't greener, but some folks on here are getting progressively sour and negative. And it seems like it's all they have to say.

A little cumulonimbus following around posters that haven't succumbed to misery.

I'm not saying that's you. But it is an observation.

I am excited for new things. I also know to keep my expectations in check. I can do both.

I will enjoy my new job to the best of my ability and I'll be the best dang ambulance driver because they won't allow me to do patient care yet. And I'm sure there's a lot of ALS calls anyway.

I don't need anymore salt in my food, thank you very much.

If you are that displeased with your job, maybe take a step back and see what's going on. Find a place you can be happy at.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I’m curious about this. You say you’re negative about your employer and you don’t hide it from new hires. Why do you stay? Should your employer terminate you? if they did, would they be justified?

A vocally sour employee was the topic that we were just discussing in a class I took on on culture change. We had a pretty lively debate about this issue.
Because I don't have anywhere else to go right now. I'm working on an exit plan with classes and stuff, but everything around me is fire based and this is my best option logistically to implement that plan. Not that I can tell. I still am one of the busier medics. I am still active with a couple different things trying to make this place better (I try to be fair, if I ***** I try to at least come with solutions. I don'thave room to complain if I don't). I still put a lot of effort into making sure I take care of my patients. I will also give them credit where they deserve, but thats most often in terms of equipment and things on that side of the fence.

I can and do try to offer suggestions for this place, some of which have been implemented. But that doesn't make up for when a supervisor is chewing out a crew for not clearing up when we are NUA, they're on call #14 and not even done with their shift, and the last two of them being back to back cardiac arrest and GSW. Then telling them that documentation isn't a valid reason to not clear up when they dont even have at least a narrative done. I've been yelled at by a supervisor who thought I was trying to do their job when I was simply trying to provide information on the status of a hospital. Ive also been chewed out by a supervisor for going somewhere to eat that I got permission to go to at one of our regular midnight snack spots two hours prior (just took that long for an opportunity) because someone in comm forgot I asked or forgot to pass word on to the person on primary.

Training is non-existent. We get email updates on changes and a short quiz that may only have one answer to a question so we can check a box to say we've gotten the message. Disappointingly low effort. Got plenty of other experiences over the years of things that have just chipped away at my outlook on how things are done here. The concept of take care of your people and your people will take care of the mission isn't understood by everyone and that is the root of my problem. And honestly, this place has so much potential. It really does. But there's some very simple, but important things that have to change for us to get there. My opinion isn't just because I think its fun to be negative, I still genuinely love what I do and teaching new providers how to do things well. I just know at the end of the day my numbers matter more than me or the little extra things I may try to do for people.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

If it’s salt over core components of the job, I could see a case here. But if it’s simple frustration or attempts to improve things that are thwarted by circumstances, culture and low concern from the masses? Sure, if you want to keep sucking.
Culture change is 100% driven from the top of an organization, and when leaders start firing “sour” employees, they generally find themselves on the same boat, just with less people. It’s also worth noting that employees who come up with solutions typically aren’t the mediocre crowd. But since when has EMS leadership In general ever seen itself as accountable or proactive? For example, at my organization, not wearing a cloth mask is bad bad news, but leaders don’t care if people are literally falling asleep behind the wheel. Priorities!

With that being said, I’ve learned a hard lesson- don’t be too happy or too helpful, or care too much. Crappy leaders (of which there are many) will suck your spirit and effort dry and ignore good efforts, then breed their own dissatisfaction and punish others for it.

CALEMT

Bought a new oven. Stainless steel, free delivery/ installation, new hose and fittings, plus they'll haul away my old oven... all for under $700. Adulting.