the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Yesterday I started the shift I gas station in some lady was pooping in front of the bushes. Additionally my partner accidentally off the primaries on.

Later, while on post, I saw a dog run through traffic with a collar on. It seemed kind of familiar but I couldn't really place it. Then I realized I'd seen an ad yesterday on a lost pet group on Facebook for a dog that could be this 1. I looked it up and they both had the same color collar on and we're the same breed. I went looking for it for like 40 minutes and could not find it. The owner also came over and could not find it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
And I'll add this before I climb back up my tree...

Society has a way of measuring how bad something is by the number of deaths.
How about the downstream effects? Business shuttered, retirements lost, agricultural disarray, mortgages upside down, increased suicides, etc etc.

At some point the priority needs to be doing the least amount of harm to the greatest amount of people. We are well enough into this now that it is doing more harm to continue the lockdown outside of the major epicenters of densely populated urban areas.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
89E0FF9E-21AC-47C0-999E-0FBE897C00FD.gif

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Does a lp15 talk to you to tell you to shock. As a basic, how do I know?
If you use it in the AED mode then it will tell you just like a normal AED. If it’s not in AED mode then it will not tell you. At that point it is up to the clinician to analyze and defibrillate and decide how many joules to use.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
If you use it in the AED mode then it will tell you just like a normal AED. If it’s not in AED mode then it will not tell you. At that point it is up to the clinician to analyze and defibrillate and decide how many joules to use.

Are joule increments a BLS skill. That was not gone over in school at all. 😅

Pretty sure that's a medic

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Are joule increments a BLS skill. That was not gone over in school at all. 😅

Pretty sure that's a medic
I would say generally that would be correct (it is for my area) however I am sure there is a system out there that allows EMTs to do it.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
How about the downstream effects? Business shuttered, retirements lost, agricultural disarray, mortgages upside down, increased suicides, etc etc.

At some point the priority needs to be doing the least amount of harm to the greatest amount of people. We are well enough into this now that it is doing more harm to continue the lockdown outside of the major epicenters of densely populated urban areas.
This was such a bad idea on so many levels, I don't even know where to start.

However, once it's over and wasn't anywhere close to the apocalyptic event that the authoritarians promised it would be, all that will do is confirm the priors of everyone who believed it was necessary to destroy our economy, put millions of people out of work, and dramatically increase our already outrageous federal debt.

See!?! We TOLD YOU THIS WOULD WORK!! IF WE DIDN"T WRECK THE ECONOMY AND COUNTLESS LIVELIHOODS, MILLIONS WOULD HAVE DIED!!!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I’m glad I never fully retracted my nothing burger statement. It is indeed a something burger for the economy and in some other aspects DUE to the unnecessary overwhelming response.

As far as being this deadly pandemic...sticking to mostly nothing burger. In some specific urban places it went red hot, but in most of the rest of the world not so much.

I fear this will be all be taken as a crying wolf story when the real mankind killer makes its entrance. A good many will say, “we’re not doing what we did in 2020.”

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I fear this will be all be taken as a crying wolf story when the real mankind killer makes its entrance. A good many will say, “we’re not doing what we did in 2020.”
Either that, or the opposite. A precedent has been set and it will be even easier going forward for the government to exert extraordinary control in reaction to any siginificant threat, real or exaggerated, and for the populace to be OK with it.

Will this be the new norm for every unusually bad flu season?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think y'all know I'm more likely (terms of probably) to go off half cocked towards "danger" rather than away, even if it's not the best option.

Yet another day with no COVID pts. *sigh*
The fact that you posted this is insane. This is not admirable. This makes you a liability, and the kind of liability that hurts coworkers and patients. Some introspection would go a long way. Reply if you want, I think I am done here.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Also, for those of you firmly in the "this is a nothing event camp," maybe you're right. Maybe you aren't. I have no idea. I think proving the negative is going to be awfully hard here.

For many of us who did work in areas that got hit hard (my county did though not like some of the coastal cities), this was/is miserable. I don't think our many of the community's actions were an overreaction either. The initial volume was not sustainable and while I think a targeted solution would have worked better, something had to happen. Coming here every day to a forum of EMS professionals just to hear how stupid the response is is frankly disheartening. This last month of work has been the worst I can remember, wondering if we are doing enough to both be ready and to protect our people.

Glad it wasn't as bad for you I guess?

Last edited:

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Also, for those of you firmly in the "this is a nothing event camp," maybe you're right. Maybe you aren't. I have no idea. I think proving the negative is going to be awfully hard here.

For many of us who did work in areas that got hit hard (my county did though not like some of the coastal cities), this was/is miserable. I don't think our many of the community's actions were an overreaction either. The initial volume was not sustainable and while I think a targeted solution would have worked better, something had to happen. Coming here every day to a forum of EMS professionals just to hear how stupid the response is is frankly disheartening. This last month of work has been the worst I can remember, wondering if we are doing enough to both be ready and to protect our people.

Glad it wasn't as bad for you I guess?

Most of the issues that EPCO had were due to poor hospital resource management and a lack of adequate mutual aid structure. There were many similarly populated counties that took th he same hit but didn't struggle nearly as much. It's the land of refusing to pay for any taxes, and in return having limited services.