the 100% directionless thread

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
Anyone know about AMR Parental leave? Our first born is due later this year and I'm curious if and how much time they might give me off to help out around the house.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It is kinda middle of nowhere... [emoji23]

I mean the nearest COSTCO is at least two hours west by car.
I worked middle of nowhere in west Texas... I like being at least less than an hour from civilization... but I would happily move to the mountains around Ruidoso NM

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
T- 6 days until I close escrow and am a homeowner and T- 10 days until I am an Arizona resident!

T-5 days until I become a resident of the state of Nevada, and T-12 days until I start my new job with HGH.

I’m barely even packed to move! [emoji23]

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Part of me would like to try a place like that some day. Between STL and here, urban EMS is all I've ever known. It'd be a bit of an adjustment I imagine considering my personal call volume is roughly 1/4 of my entire county where I live and we aren't even isolated. Can't imagine what it's like in an area like that.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
A nurse is going to file a complaint against me for not giving the awake and breathing opiate user Narcan. Little do they know my supervisor was on scene and saw my patient. 😂

They sure did it though, came back and found the middle of his bed covered in vomit.

CALEMT

Forced OT on my two days off... putting me on for 10 straight... out of my battalion... on an ambulance. I should be home packing for my move. I love my job, but sometimes I hate it too.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Forced OT on my two days off... putting me on for 10 straight... out of my battalion... on an ambulance. I should be home packing for my move. I love my job, but sometimes I hate it too.
Welcome to CalFire. Sounds like Forcey the Bear has found you

CALEMT

Welcome to CalFire. Sounds like Forcey the Bear has found you

Forcey the bear and I are already intimate. I got forced 115 miles from my normal battalion.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Man if I was that close to leaving and still had to pack I'd be so tempted to just bounce and tell them to pound sand.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ouch... I like my dept doesn't force hire you on days off. Though that's partially because we have plenty of OT *****s lol, which I may be knocking on that door 😂 Problem is with the new classes they've hired, that's starting to dry up... but at least if I get mando'd to anotherstation, its a) within my battalion and b) only on regularly scheduled (or sometimes OT) shifts

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm sorry, wut.
Forcey the Bear is an inside joke within CalFire (California State Fire department). It even has its own Facebook that comes out in the summer time to post jokes and memes about their firefighters getting forced.

Since CalFire is a state agency when you get forced you may be forced in a battalion that is not yours however they keep you in your county.

Due to the extreme fires and shortage of firefighter medics in CA their medics are being forced or put into staffing patterns which means all their days off are now scheduled shifts that you have to work. So you may work three days at station 10 and the forth day you are at station 51 which could be 200 miles away.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We have 63 companies in the department, I picked up OT today at one of our engines that's in the top 15... and got a single medical.

Since today was 90° I'm not complaining too much lol (especially since that station is in the battalion whose area is known for brush fires lol) but at a certain point, this palpable white cloud I have gets somewhat frustrating...

(The medical was somewhat interesting as instead of City EMS, it's an AMR unit that showed up, which is a bit out of the ordinary, but other than a Sprinter vanbulance and a different gurney and color uniform the medic didn't seem much different lol. It was even a Medic+Basic unit, so I guess that means if I ever get my act together and upgrade my NREMT to State Licence and work for AMR theres st least a possibility of backup 911 work lol)