the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The drive from SETX to ABQ is a very long one... and we get to do it in reverse tomorrow lol. But my bride to be is a beast. A mile or more hiking in heels for our engagement shoot today and she didn't complain once and usually outpaced me

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The drive from SETX to ABQ is a very long one... and we get to do it in reverse tomorrow lol. But my bride to be is a beast. A mile or more hiking in heels for our engagement shoot today and she didn't complain once and usually outpaced me

They have metal birds now.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
@VentMonkey we're pretty much on the same page, I'm just not sure it's something I necessarily want to see taken away. It has it's place.

Modifications to how it is implemented? Sure, but I think that's more of a systemic thing rather than national. Change in how we train (everyone except the fewer good ones)? Absolutely. But complete removal? Not sure I'm on board with that without trying to correct things that can easily be fixed and improved first...

RocketMedic

Until you do QI, you have no idea how bad some other medics are. The more charts I review, the more I advocate for additional education and stricter standards for licescure.

I don’t do QI at my current gig, but low standards are easy to see. It makes me think that strict limits on what is done, strict regulations on who does it and how their services are operated.

Training and learning on 24/48s is challenging, to say the least. I’m a pretty motivated individual, but my urge to learn more and train on 24/48s is limited. Most of my coworkers, even less. And it’s not just one agency. It’s almost everywhere.

Training for things like RSI is really hard when the average employee (especially medic) doesn’t give a care and doesn’t want to learn. It is frustrating when one old-timer who succeeds their way seeps over to new medics, who don’t have that reservoir of experience and set up for failure. It’s discouraging when attempts to create a standardized, unified system for something are dismissed or ignored because it isn’t seen as a priority, doesn’t come from the right people, etc.

And that’s not even touching the problems that come from low educational standards, deployment models that don’t allow for mentorship or training in general, and clinical expectations that do not meet the realistic capabilities of the providers.

RocketMedic

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Rode in with a sup on an arrest caused by choking. First time trying to manage that kind of airway, definitely some learning points I took away.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Starter went out on my car, truck still works but an exhaust hanger broke. Thought it would be a really crappy day, then I dodged a balloon pump transport. Things are looking up.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When the blunt trauma arrest patient is pretty apparently dead, but someone feels a pulse so the patient is extricated and brought into your ambulance where *gasp* there is no pulse and now you have to transport and your partner "really needs a tube" and didn't bring enough riders or have the wherewithal to suggest maybe "working" the arrest not in the ambulance would have been more appropriate. Also, the patient was not ventilated for 15 minutes of extrication but "we got her out."

Whole lot of never again please. Also I've done enough needle decompressions in the last two weeks to see me through the year I think.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Showing my kids the likes of Waylon Jennings, and The Sir Douglas Quintet. Real music...priceless.

Also, my wife and I got to meet with, and have Los Lobos autograph a poster for us.

To me, there’s something to be said for an eclectic ear when it comes to music. It seems as if music these days has changed, just a tad.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Starter went out on my car, truck still works but an exhaust hanger broke. Thought it would be a really crappy day, then I dodged a balloon pump transport. Things are looking up.
Inverse of this, installed a new starter yesterday so the car works, Truck still works, morning flight was terribly unstable. I would have taken the balloon pump over that.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I’m honestly loving my Rough Rider / Henry 22 combo more than any other gun
I got to bring back my two favorites, a Savage LH Bolt in .308 and my Rossi 30-30 lever gun.

RocketMedic

I got to bring back my two favorites, a Savage LH Bolt in .308 and my Rossi 30-30 lever gun.

30-30 is just too expensive for plinking for me and my hunting rifle is a break-open .243, so a 30-30 would not really have any real difference.

Plus I'm trying to keep my collection CA-legal and 'acceptable' for obvious reasons, so a lot of my collecting desires have been walled off. I'm considering selling my 1911 and picking up another revolver instead.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I can't wait to move to AZ so I can own whatever the hell I want.