the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm glad to see this thread is still going strong

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
It is a good thing they are cute... The return policy sucks!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Dang, yesterday there was a helicopter crash in our area (barely a block past our first in boundary), just less than 2 hours getting off shift (so I was just at home wondering why I saw both Hazmat and a heavy Rescue responding down the freeway lol).

Even crazier is that the crash was still alarmed by EMS. Unit was responding to another unrelated call when the helo crashed like 30 feet behind them on the road, so they turned around and called it in, helped pull 2 people out of the wreckage (unfortunately all 3 people aboard were already KIA)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'm pretty sure I would refuse tpa and just go straight to ir for direct intervention. The data says to will kill you or probably not do anything.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I need to unload some part time employment, but I don't know how I could ever quit here.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That's a nice looking truck. Is it sad that I'm a bit jealous of the blue lights? Lol #whacker status 😅

Speaking of trucks, turns out on top of the vehicle registration fees, I have to go get a safety inspection ($25 for that)

And now to pass the Safety Inspection (I can't finish the registration without that), I need to replace the center rear brake light (10 bucks, easy peasy, did that in 2 min with the screwdriver on my multitool lol),

Buy 2 new tires cuz apparently mine are bald 😑 ugh, that's an extra $350-400 right there, why do tires have to be so pricey?!

And I have to fix my power window. My driver side power window has been stuck in the up position for a while now, no big deal, just means I can go thru the drive thru, right? Least I can keep the rain out and AC in so not a concern... except the guy at the Safety check place says according to the State it is a mandatory required (if that was the only thing wrong I'd still fail safety check) because apparently if my truck were to suddenly lose electrical power I'd have to roll down my window and use hand and arm signals. Seriously that's what the guy said.

A new motor for that is like a hundred bucks... all of this adding up to almost a grand to renew my registration (and it's all due no later than the 31st of the month...)

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
That's a nice looking truck. Is it sad that I'm a bit jealous of the blue lights? Lol #whacker status 😅

Speaking of trucks, turns out on top of the vehicle registration fees, I have to go get a safety inspection ($25 for that)

And now to pass the Safety Inspection (I can't finish the registration without that), I need to replace the center rear brake light (10 bucks, easy peasy, did that in 2 min with the screwdriver on my multitool lol),

Buy 2 new tires cuz apparently mine are bald 😑 ugh, that's an extra $350-400 right there, why do tires have to be so pricey?!

And I have to fix my power window. My driver side power window has been stuck in the up position for a while now, no big deal, just means I can go thru the drive thru, right? Least I can keep the rain out and AC in so not a concern... except the guy at the Safety check place says according to the State it is a mandatory required (if that was the only thing wrong I'd still fail safety check) because apparently if my truck were to suddenly lose electrical power I'd have to roll down my window and use hand and arm signals. Seriously that's what the guy said.

A new motor for that is like a hundred bucks... all of this adding up to almost a grand to renew my registration (and it's all due no later than the 31st of the month...)
That sucks.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm pretty sure I would refuse tpa and just go straight to ir for direct intervention. The data says to will kill you or probably not do anything.
I've never actually heard anything about a comparison between the two. I guess in his case with such a large window of time for treatment still available, it would be a perfectly good option.

Bishop2047

Forum Crew Member
I've never actually heard anything about a comparison between the two. I guess in his case with such a large window of time for treatment still available, it would be a perfectly good option.

https://litfl.com/stroke-thrombolysis/

PUBLISHED TRIAL RESULTS
Alteplase
  • 12 controlled trials have been published on the use of thrombolysis for stroke (mostly using alteplase aka recombinant tissue plasminogen activator)
  • 2 of these RCTs found a benefit as defined by primary outcome measures (NINDS, ECASS-3)
  • 2 were stopped early because of harm (ATLANTIS)
  • 8 remaining studies had negative findings for the primary outcome (IST-3 had a positive secondary outcome)
  • supported by meta-analysis based on the above studies
  • supported by large industry funded registry data-sets
Streptokinase
  • no longer used for stroke thrombolysis
  • studied in ASK, MAST-ITALY, MAST-EUROPE
  • all negative studies
  • the Australian study (ASK) was stopped early for harm
  • NNH of 5 to cause death or disability
The use of thrombolytics in stroke should never have been a thing. At least there are better option now, and more docs are aware of these studies.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I realized this morning that I haven't started an IV since October. I knew when. I started flying that I wouldn't start many, but geeze.
Same here. That’s why I decided to stay part time on the ground 911.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Even on the ground you couldn’t start IV’s... I’m pretty sure Stevie Wonder could hit the veins that you missed.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Even on the ground you couldn’t start IV’s... I’m pretty sure Stevie Wonder could hit the veins that you missed.
I do try to start my IVs with my eyes closed.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I realized this morning that I haven't started an IV since October. I knew when. I started flying that I wouldn't start many, but geeze.
When we're OOS for maintenance, or other reasons I'll try and rotate IV starts with the nurse while running calls in metro. And yes, doing the occasional OT ground shifts certainly seems to help keep things fluid.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When we're OOS for maintenance, or other reasons I'll try and rotate IV starts with the nurse while running calls in metro. And yes, doing the occasional OT ground shifts certainly seems to help keep things fluid.
While we are OOS we just watch TV or take a nap haha