the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Didn't think of it. My medic partner was in back, did 4-5 12 lead and I think he said 2 or 3 were showing STEMI .
Huh...might be the one time someone could say doing heroin was good for them....

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Got to give adenosine for the first time. Always fun when the pt is flat line says "OMG this does not feel right" for about 4 seconds.

kylej432

Forum Ride Along
Interviewed with Long Beach FD today. Felt ok in it, felt I was able to answer most all questions with "nugget" stories and say what I wanted to say. Though I felt pretty weak about the "What do you know about LB and LBFD" and 'Why do you want to be a Long Beach FF" (as opposed to FF in general) mostly because my only station visit lasted all of 10 min before they all got calls so I really only had some statistics I gleamed from online so those def felt like weak canned answers in my head. But overall I felt I ended on a good note so hopefully I'll get good news. For now its hurry up and wait for the letter in the mail :)

Also I got my background packet for LA City turned in and have my initial background investigator meeting scheduled day after tomorrow, hopefully get this ball rolling, and be cleared for medical/psych and all that by the time I'm done with my Annual Training in August (yeah yeah, a teeeennyyyy bit too optimistic there lol)[/QUOTE

I know this is old but thread! But did you ever get picked up by LBFD?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Waaayyyy old, like what 3 or 4 years old now?? And no, as it turns out I basically bombed that interview and did not advance in their hiring process.

taxidriver

Forum Crew Member
Any particular learning points worth sharing?
We all performed well as a team, but this guy was beyond any help. Hospital was 5 minutes out so we didn’t waste time on scene. Gsw to the head with a very difficult airway. Attempted to control the bleeding as best as possible, IV’s were established, and the pt was intubated. Ended up losing a pulse during transport.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
That sounds like one of those less than 5% situations where the outcome is ordained before you ever arrive on scene. Sorry.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
We all performed well as a team, but this guy was beyond any help. Hospital was 5 minutes out so we didn’t waste time on scene. Gsw to the head with a very difficult airway. Attempted to control the bleeding as best as possible, IV’s were established, and the pt was intubated. Ended up losing a pulse during transport.
Yea anything to the head like that is bad news. Doesn't sound like the not going well was on your end at least.

Those are ones I almost would rather not get a pulse back. I don't want to leave someone "living" a life on a vent as a vegetable, however sometimes patients like this can help with organ donation and a lot of good comes from that. That's what happened with a friend of mine. After hearing some about his injuries, I would never want that for him and ultimately a lot of people were helped by his death.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had a great meeting with our medical director this morning. It’s so good to have a doc that believes in EMS and wants to be involved.

It’s not always like that. At my last job, I never met the medical director.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Got to give adenosine for the first time. Always fun when the pt is flat line says "OMG this does not feel right" for about 4 seconds.
Saw adenosine given for the first time a week or two ago. Pretty cool to watch the HR fall fall fall! (Just our luck, this time it came back up, but still!)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a great meeting with our medical director this morning. It’s so good to have a doc that believes in EMS and wants to be involved.

It’s not always like that. At my last job, I never met the medical director.
Besides the Jarvis airway course, what other things did y'all discuss bringing?

NomadicMedic

Besides the Jarvis airway course, what other things did y'all discuss bringing?

Starting a “grand rounds” program with ED docs and EMS, for one. Lots of housekeeping stuff that needed going over. It was a good meeting.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Starting a “grand rounds” program with ED docs and EMS, for one. Lots of housekeeping stuff that needed going over. It was a good meeting.
That actually sounds awesome. We have docs that ride here from the local level 1, I wonder if we could talk them into doing this with us.

NomadicMedic

Also working on OR time for our medics, working on how to submit for a trial study of Ketamine for pain management, talked about POCUS and a lot more...

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Also working on OR time for our medics, working on how to submit for a trial study of Ketamine for pain management, talked about POCUS and a lot more...

I could shoot you a copy of the protocol for our special K trial study if you want.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just gave Ketamine for my first time today. Patient went from 5/10 pain to “my body feels numb”. Well that works for me haha

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Never go to the grocery store hungry (or while thinking about breakfast).

There were 3 things I wanted...checked out with 9 items (not too bad, tho still 3x as much as original goal)...and discovered 2 of those things I already had at home lol

taxidriver

Forum Crew Member
Yea anything to the head like that is bad news. Doesn't sound like the not going well was on your end at least.

Those are ones I almost would rather not get a pulse back. I don't want to leave someone "living" a life on a vent as a vegetable, however sometimes patients like this can help with organ donation and a lot of good comes from that. That's what happened with a friend of mine. After hearing some about his injuries, I would never want that for him and ultimately a lot of people were helped by his death.
Yeah, as stated previously the outcome was determined before we even got there. It still sucks to lose a young patient. I found out that the patient and I had mutual friends, small world.