the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow....a book I could actually afford now. I think I'll put that order in tomorrow morning, thanks @VentMonkey.

@Remi, come to think of it, my mom actually has the Marino ICU book, I know right where it's at.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So....I was doing some delivery driving for Uber Eats earlier today...amd delivered to a Bite Squad office, and the guy (who was wearing their green shirt) was actively trying to recruit me lol

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Some of the anesthesia texts (Nagelhout, Miller’s Barash) are really the best places to read about basic CC and pharm topics, but are not easy reads at all and are focused on the OR.

I am going to pick one up soon. Keep going back and forth between Nagelhout and Miller's. And if i want the full set or just the condensed version. Big investment for the full set.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am going to pick one up soon. Keep going back and forth between Nagelhout and Miller's. And if i want the full set or just the condensed version. Big investment for the full set.

Miller's is incredibly detailed and comprehensive, but it is expensive.

One that I really like - probably my favorite, actually - is Morgan & Mikhail's Clinical Anesthesiology. It's more concise and easier to read than these others though, so its great for reviewing a topic quickly but not the best if you are trying to study something in depth.

Stoelting's Pharmacology and Physiology in Anesthetic Practice is excellent, as well. Considerably less detailed and in-depth than something like Rhoades or Guyton & Hall's, but it covers everything pretty much and is easier to read and understand, and of course focused on anesthetic practice.

I would recommend Nagalhout's Nurse Anesthesia. All the same meat as the others, but IMO it's organized better and is generally a little easier to read and digest. If you primarily just want a good pharm text, then Stoelting's Pharm & Phys is really good and is quite a bit cheaper, I think.

I rarely refer back to my texts but I like books and I plan to probably always own a recent (if not the most current) version of a handful of texts: Nagelhout, Morgan & Mikhail, Stoelting's Pharm & Phys, Stoelting's Anesthesia & Coexisting Disease, and Netter.

I also still have my old Brady Critical Care Paramedic text that was published in 2006.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
After having to drop out of my last A&P due to Irma. AMR has given me a full-ride scholarship through NCTI, first day is today! They own my soul for 3 years, but that's really a small price to pay.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Slide in a little diltiazem (20mg) slowly and watch that A fib rvr correct itself to a nice sinus rhythm...#TexasEMS #NoAskANurse #GooseandMaverick #YesWeCarryDiltiazemToo #HoustonStrong

terrible one

Always wandering
Slide in a little diltiazem (20mg) slowly and watch that A fib rvr correct itself to a nice sinus rhythm...#TexasEMS #NoAskANurse #GooseandMaverick #YesWeCarryDiltiazemToo #HoustonStrong

Haha I’ve had my last couple pts in a fib rvr but ya CA can’t do much unless they get unstable enough to cardiovert

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

#HolyHashtagBatman #Hashtag

I remember I had a pt like this in clinical's. I forgot how much Cardizem I gave, but by the time I was leaving they were going to push Amiodarone on him. What I do remember is he was A-Fib RVR varying from 150-170.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

CALEMT

Even though I’m still bitter about Georgia beating my Sooners in the rose bowl, I like to see Saban lose. Go Georgia, keep it up.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I don't know how to explain that to the ED staff.... Patient had afib so I decided to beat the hell out of him.
Just tell them it was medically indicated. Pacer was out of power and you were out of meds... and you needed the practice. :D

CALEMT

Just tell them it was medically indicated. Pacer was out of power and you were out of meds... and you needed to let out some steam because dispatch pissed you off.

I like this explanation better.