the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Gahhh!!!! Medic school starts in 21 days! Two weeks from today I will have finished my first medic class.

And keep your cert up DE. Yeah you may not use it now. But maybe in the future you will want to.

Angel

Paramedic
Anyone ever take an online lab class before? Couldn't get into a regular A and P course due to some residency issues (in Colorado until you are 23 you are not a resident unless your parents are. Never mind that I've had a driver's license here for over a year and have paid state income tax since 2010...)

I have no idea how this is going to go. Never done online class before and I'll admit I'm intimidated. I went to a good school for my undergrad that was tough on us, but so long as you showed up, you were generally able to muddle through. Now I have no idea what I am doing and there isn't an easy way to get quick answers to questions like "what textbooks do I need and where do I get them?"

i have, and it really depends on your personality. me, i wasnt a very good self starter, i never got bad grades or anything but for something like anat and phys you will have to dedicate a lot of time to studying and doing the modules, and communicating with your class.
if you stay on top of it you should be fine!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Gahhh!!!! Medic school starts in 21 days! Two weeks from today I will have finished my first medic class.

And keep your cert up DE. Yeah you may not use it now. But maybe in the future you will want to.
That excitement will fade very quickly haha.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Anyone ever take an online lab class before? Couldn't get into a regular A and P course due to some residency issues (in Colorado until you are 23 you are not a resident unless your parents are. Never mind that I've had a driver's license here for over a year and have paid state income tax since 2010...)

I have no idea how this is going to go. Never done online class before and I'll admit I'm intimidated. I went to a good school for my undergrad that was tough on us, but so long as you showed up, you were generally able to muddle through. Now I have no idea what I am doing and there isn't an easy way to get quick answers to questions like "what textbooks do I need and where do I get them?"

Are you still a dependent?

My old roommate has had his residency since he turned 19 and his dad lives in Guam.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Hmm, I'd look into that further. I was told that I would get in-state tuition when I lived there after I'd had a CO ID and address for a year.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmm, I'd look into that further. I was told that I would get in-state tuition when I lived there after I'd had a CO ID and address for a year.
I had several friends in college that got caught up with residency problems like Tigger. Like he said, CO requires waiting until you're 23 and proving you came to the state for a primary reason other than education. Frustrating process for sure to try to get in state status.

On a side note, I just enjoyed a cup of coffee and a muffin as I sat on the Bethany Beach boardwalk and talked to some members of the public. Call it good public relations at work or what have you, but I can't complain about starting a work day like that!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I love my job!

54e067cfd59b9f28284925f9dc0c4c39.jpg

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
That excitement will fade very quickly haha.
I'm not sure it is excitement. More like sheer terror while jumping up and down for joy because it is finally starting.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I had several friends in college that got caught up with residency problems like Tigger. Like he said, CO requires waiting until you're 23 and proving you came to the state for a primary reason other than education. Frustrating process for sure to try to get in state status.

On a side note, I just enjoyed a cup of coffee and a muffin as I sat on the Bethany Beach boardwalk and talked to some members of the public. Call it good public relations at work or what have you, but I can't complain about starting a work day like that!

I miss the water a lot. Oh man it's been a while.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I miss the water a lot. Oh man it's been a while.

Great white shark attacked two kayakers today off of white horse in Plymouth today. No injuries, but the kayak didn't make it!

Also, I think a couple people here work for REMSA, did you deal with that chemical explosion today?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Found a last minute NRP class tomorrow for free ;) being a prn tech for a large hospital system has its perks

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Had a DOA, a crazy vent run, and a code save today. I feel like a real paramedic.

Also had to extricate a 10 y/o from a bicycle, but that was my partners run.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Can anyone shed some light how common or uncommon having bloody sputum during an arrest is?

Had one a few days ago where after about 5-10 minutes of CPR the patient's airway started getting filled with saliva/blood (which required constant suctioning) The blood started to be more prevalent as the call progressed.

Unknown history 60 y/o M unwitnessed arrest. BLS airway management (OPA with BVM no advanced airway). Ended up calling it after about 30 minutes (conversion from V.Fib -> asystole -> PEA). Never really seen this one before. Any ideas?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Radios are finally up.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Radios are finally up.
Have they been down since Sunday night? I worked on Monday and they were down.

Did they give you guys a reason why? My only guess is something happened in the process of switching dispatch around so that 911 is in a different area than IFT

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Have they been down since Sunday night? I worked on Monday and they were down.

Did they give you guys a reason why? My only guess is something happened in the process of switching dispatch around so that 911 is in a different area than IFT
There were still no phones or internet at main until today too. So it was that.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There were still no phones or internet at main until today too. So it was that.
That was probably because of the TC that occurred on the corner of gene autry and tacheva that killed 2 and took out verizon and AT&T boxes. I don't see how that would effect dispatch radios

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
That was probably because of the TC that occurred on the corner of gene autry and tacheva that killed 2 and took out verizon and AT&T boxes. I don't see how that would effect dispatch radios
If the dispatch radios are set up as a remote base, then audio and control could go via landline to the remote radios. If the system is setup such that even dispatch's radios are effectively just like field radios (on site) then they wouldn't be affected.

Given that the radios weren't working properly, I would suspect that the dispatch center was running some kind of remote setup requiring landlines to communicate with the radios.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If the dispatch radios are set up as a remote base, then audio and control could go via landline to the remote radios. If the system is setup such that even dispatch's radios are effectively just like field radios (on site) then they wouldn't be affected.

Given that the radios weren't working properly, I would suspect that the dispatch center was running some kind of remote setup requiring landlines to communicate with the radios.
I honestly have no clue. Dispatch phones were working fine. Our dispatch center is located about 60 miles away from our response area. We have a normal channel and a channel with a repeater that we use but nothing was working.

I'm not very knowledgable with radio systems (I push a button and they turn on. If it doesn't work I'll turn it off and then back on).