the 100% directionless thread

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Finally got called for a 911 interview, and it is on the 2nd day of my internship so I had to turn it down. I figured it would be a slippery slope if I asked for the 2nd day off, and then much more to do the training. I am pretty mad still because 911 pay twice as much as IFT pay here, and already saturated with paramedics here too.

Day 2 of calling out sick. Day of being sick. Got a fever now and nausea, but haven't vomited yet. Should I call the CDC?
Hopefully it will be worth it when you finish your internship in a few months and get a 911 paramedic position.

Angel

Paramedic
Hopefully it will be worth it when you finish your internship in a few months and get a 911 paramedic position.

seriously...and anywhere. im noticing a lot of opportunities as a medic in all kinds of ems systems. just got to be willing to get out of your comfort zone and try something new.

easier said than done (as im experiencing this myself) but i want a career out of this an am willing to move as far as out of state if necessary.

in other news, i had a test and interview today for a job i didn't really care about, but after going there its toward the top of my list. we find out next week and the waiting sucks.

EDIT: Well I got hired at another place lol! hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
Today's plan after work will include the orginal Ninja Turtle movie, pizza and wine. I think that's a great way to celebrate my bday

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
seriously...and anywhere. im noticing a lot of opportunities as a medic in all kinds of ems systems. just got to be willing to get out of your comfort zone and try something new.

easier said than done (as im experiencing this myself) but i want a career out of this an am willing to move as far as out of state if necessary.

in other news, i had a test and interview today for a job i didn't really care about, but after going there its toward the top of my list. we find out next week and the waiting sucks.

EDIT: Well I got hired at another place lol! hmmm

Congrats!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I can use my sick as vacation if I find my own coverage. What are these points you speak of haha?

My god, just because I studied political science does not mean I want to "discuss" politics with you and your staunch self-titled "extreme conservative" views. Contrary to what you think it is not a "mental workout" for me.

You just make yourself look like an idiot.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
0.5 points for being late <1 hour late. 1 point for calling out sick or >= 1 hour late, but <2 hours late. 2 points for being >= 2 hour late or no call/no show. You don't get 1 point per day for calling out sick on consecutive days eg you call out sick Wednesday and Thursday like I just did then it's just 1 point even though you called out sick 2 days.

5 points = verbal warning
6 points = written warning
7 points = final written warning / 1 work week mandatory vacation (a.k.a suspension)
8 points = termination

You retain the point for 1 year from the time you got it.

I think it has it's pros and cons. I have shown up late several times unfortunately, and the only consequence was points. I didn't get a verbal, write up, etc. The obvious con is once you pass that 5 point threshold, it hits you like a train.

I would say my two least favorite things is that calling out sick is merged with our tardy system and they don't tell us how many points we have. You can figure out how many points you have by manually going through the schedule to see how late you were or if you called out sick, and add up the points.

I am doing much better today so I think I won't call out today. Guess it's good to get this out of the way before my internship starts this Sunday.

Angel

Paramedic
i guess its good because it doesnt go straight to a warning or write up, but you cant control getting sick and needing to stay or go home. i dont like that system but theres worse ones out there. i know where i used to work, youd basically have to call in with enough notice (try to find coverage if you could) or get a drs note if more than 1 day and you were fine and/or use pto.

hmmm

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
4 back to back calls today without ever getting back to my truck ...Yay outlying beach district :)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
First on scene to this:

10563230_10154493404330245_519146140_o.jpg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Would explain the breathing problems...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Now I'm no fireman with special firefightin' authoritah or anything, but might I suggest upgrading this call to a working structure fire?

Id imagine they did. The area this happened in has 3 engines within a 15 minute response time (1 of the engines was at the hospital at least 30 minutes away). So it was probably 45 minutes before they had a decent number of units there.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Id imagine they did. The area this happened in has 3 engines within a 15 minute response time (1 of the engines was at the hospital at least 30 minutes away). So it was probably 45 minutes before they had a decent number of units there.
Haha, maybe I didn't put that across quite right. I know things are different on the west coast, but I did figure they had upgraded that call...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Haha, maybe I didn't put that across quite right. I know things are different on the west coast, but I did figure they had upgraded that call...

1 engine and 1 ambulance is all we get for a fully involved structure fire here in the west coast :p

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So we are getting dislocation reduction (EMT and up) and Ketamine on september first. Of course today we had use for both. Can't get a line (including Hour long stokes extrication with low angle rigging for a shoulder dislocation with impingement and low back fractures. When we finally get a line the patient then has an allergic reaction to fentanyl and refuses morphine. Great. Three hour long call and we only transported a few miles to the helicopter (would have been three hours by ground).

And I had to jump into a river for that cold water challenge. At night.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
So we are getting dislocation reduction (EMT and up) and Ketamine on september first. Of course today we had use for both. Can't get a line (including Hour long stokes extrication with low angle rigging for a shoulder dislocation with impingement and low back fractures. When we finally get a line the patient then has an allergic reaction to fentanyl and refuses morphine. Great. Three hour long call and we only transported a few miles to the helicopter (would have been three hours by ground).

And I had to jump into a river for that cold water challenge. At night.
What were the symptoms associated with the fentanyl reaction? (Just curious...)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What were the symptoms associated with the fentanyl reaction? (Just curious...)

Urticaria about the chest, abdomen, and neck. Acute onset of itching all over and "feeling like a crackhead." When I first got to her (a fair bit before my partner due to the hike) one of the first things I asked her was if she had any allergies to pain medicines, to which she said no. My partner arrives and asks the same thing with the same answer. It's only in the ambulance after she's had 150 and the reaction is occurring that she remembers she is allergic to an "F" drug that you get after surgery.

Some days there is no winning.