the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My 06 Raider (basically a Dakota) is almost at 100k.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My 06 Saab is 125,000 and my 07 Tacoma is 115,000. I'll be driving them till the wheels come off.
egeqahy8.jpg
(I love my Saab, by the way. It's a shame they're gone.)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My outback hit 175k today. On the way up to look at a 2006 Nissan Frontier. 27k miles for 13 thousand. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Outback has two cylinder heads leaking oil, a water pump on the way out, needs new front sway bars (among other suspension parts), new front brakes, and I hit a dead elk and messed up my exhaust. Oh and the a/c doesn't work when it's over 85.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My 06 Saab is 125,000 and my 07 Tacoma is 115,000. I'll be driving them till the wheels come off.

My wife had a 2005 Saab, and it was a blast to drive but we've never owned a more unreliable car. After several years of frequent expensive repairs, I finally got rid of it when the turbo went and it was going to cost at least $1500 to replace.

I am in love with my Tacoma though.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This is my second Saab. I've been lucky. Both have been good cars. My current Saab is mostly just a grocery getter and baby hauler.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
It's about time to *down* grade for me. My '97 Firebird hit 60k the other day. About 5 minutes later, I rear ended someone. Got a new quote for insurance... Uhh... Yeah only about $180 a month for liability... what..? :ph34r:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
'03 Silverado with ~138k miles.

Just started Med Math in class today and I'm already tired of it :sad:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My wife had a 2005 Saab, and it was a blast to drive but we've never owned a more unreliable car. After several years of frequent expensive repairs, I finally got rid of it when the turbo went and it was going to cost at least $1500 to replace.

That's the perfect opportunity to go bigger!

I'm done being a car nut. That's weird, those Saabs were nearly identical to the WRX wagon and those things are troopers.

My truck is a '06 and has 72k on it. Pay 110/month for full coverage.

6.0's barely broken in ;)

Edited because I can't do math.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
This is my second Saab. I've been lucky. Both have been good cars. My current Saab is mostly just a grocery getter and baby hauler.

Saab was a great car from a consumer standpoint.. From a Auto Tech standpoint they were a nightmare to work on.

GM pretty much axed them for lack of popularity, Saab and Saturn were both profitable divisions that they pulled the plug on for lack of interest.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Saab was a great car from a consumer standpoint.. From a Auto Tech standpoint they were a nightmare to work on.

GM pretty much axed them for lack of popularity, Saab and Saturn were both profitable divisions that they pulled the plug on for lack of interest.

I never had any big issues working on a few that tagged along with the Suby group I was in back in the day.

You wanna talk about a hard car to work on check out a clutch job on an Evo, especially the ones with the 4G63.

Books for like 14 hours on AllData.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Sounds like my current car.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I never had any big issues working on a few that tagged along with the Suby group I was in back in the day.

You wanna talk about a hard car to work on check out a clutch job on an Evo, especially the ones with the 4G63.

Books for like 14 hours on AllData.

Clutches on a Japanese cars are a nightmare.

My last professional job was a Cadillac xts that required torque converter replacement.. Didn't seem like it was going to be bad.. its RWD, and only 2 crossmembers and a Y-pipe exhaust get in your way

Then I learned that you have to remove the Intake Manifolds and half the engine to get the transmission out. 17.8 hours later. I was happy to be spending my last day at the dealership

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Clutches on a Japanese cars are a nightmare.

My last professional job was a Cadillac xts that required torque converter replacement.. Didn't seem like it was going to be bad.. its RWD, and only 2 crossmembers and a Y-pipe exhaust get in your way

Then I learned that you have to remove the Intake Manifolds and half the engine to get the transmission out. 17.8 hours later. I was happy to be spending my last day at the dealership

What!?!? No freaking way that's insane!

The old v6 twin turbo Audi S4s you have to pull the entire motor to swap the turbos.

Yay Audi!!!

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief

The old v6 twin turbo Audi S4s you have to pull the entire motor to swap the turbos.

Yay Audi!!!

Damn... haha I have a MS3 and took out my turblow and replaced it with a gtx3071 along with the exmani and ewg in ~6 hrs Lol the last half while drunk

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Who knows how to download new movies without getting viruses?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Kickass torrents and a Mac

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

Yay Audi!!!

Yep. and to do the thermostat one one you need to remove the whole front clip, timing belt cover, timing belt, water pump and some other odds and ends. I know a guy who does only Euro work he said if someone comes in and needs that part replaced he does it all or nothing. too much to go wrong with replacing old parts.

The AWD craze though great and reliable to get you where you need to go, makes a bit of a PITA to work on, your condensing what primarly was reserved for SUV's and 4x4s into a compact car.

I used to have a "extra curricular activities" relationship with a girl that had a Subaru, Didn't mind one bit doing engine work.. or undercar work. When it came to the magic box that made the wheels move.. It went to the dealer.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Wrist surgery to have a cyst removed scheduled for a week from Monday. I've been told I will be off for 2 weeks afterwards. I'm not looking forward to the time off, but it will be nice to have this finally taken care of.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yep. and to do the thermostat one one you need to remove the whole front clip, timing belt cover, timing belt, water pump and some other odds and ends. I know a guy who does only Euro work he said if someone comes in and needs that part replaced he does it all or nothing. too much to go wrong with replacing old parts.

The AWD craze though great and reliable to get you where you need to go, makes a bit of a PITA to work on, your condensing what primarly was reserved for SUV's and 4x4s into a compact car.

I used to have a "extra curricular activities" relationship with a girl that had a Subaru, Didn't mind one bit doing engine work.. or undercar work. When it came to the magic box that made the wheels move.. It went to the dealer.

Really? I never had problems with Subaru transmissions. Me and a friend got pretty good at it back in HS. Usually could turn a clutch around in 6 hours. Sometimes less if we didn't run into anything stupid. Aluminum bell housing plus an aluminum block sucks though hah. Then again mostly all the cars I worked on were WRXs, STis or a few DSMs. My friend has the prettiest Forester XTi. Swapped the drivetrain. So much fun to drive.

I never opened the trans up though. Not even going to attempt that one.