the 100% directionless thread

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
On the other hand, I imagine it's much easier to stay healthy when running a fraction of the runs out of a station with a gym instead of posting on a street corner.

This is what came to mind first. Don't forget to add that PT is a mandatory part of the work day too. I imagine that If EMS crews were given 1 hour PT breaks, things would be different.

Yes, yes. I get the whole accountability thing, but it's a different game when it's employer sponsored.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yes, yes. I get the whole accountability thing, but it's a different game when it's employer sponsored.

And you're getting paid for it.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
On the other hand, I imagine it's much easier to stay healthy when running a fraction of the runs out of a station with a gym instead of posting on a street corner.

FDNY fire responds to ALS EMS runs all day long. They usually so more runs in a given 8 hours than an ALS ambulance. They just get to go back to a station after each run.

Your line of work is never a valid excuse for not staying healthy. I had a grilled chicken avocado salad for dinner while my partner had fast food.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
FDNY has been doing medical evaluations on all EMS promotion to firefighter candidates and has thus far had a 75% failure rate. Primarily due to excessive heartrate on the stairmaster.

The physical fitness standards of EMS never cease to amaze.

Brb eating McDonalds and a giant regular coke every meal and expecting to be a firefighter.

Make that a diet coke.... Don't wanna get fat haha

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Your line of work is never a valid excuse for not staying healthy. I had a grilled chicken avocado salad for dinner while my partner had fast food.

agreed, but if NY EMS made PT mandatory, it'd be a different story.

Also, since I am allergic to avocado (rough because I love the stuff) your overall argument in invalid. (i'm joking)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
agreed, but if NY EMS made PT mandatory, it'd be a different story.

Also, since I am allergic to avocado (rough because I love the stuff) your overall argument in invalid. (i'm joking)

To my knowledge PT is not a mandatory part of your tour as a firefighter. They do, do drills at the station and have use of a gym if they have down time. Not a very extensive gym though.

Avacados and olives, two of my favorite sources of healthy fats. Natural peanut butter is in there too.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey, I know that paramedics are just as capable of carrying out an assessment algorithm as a physician! I know some paramedics that are more reliable in their assessments than some doctors. We are a VERY capable bunch.

The issue is that since we all still work under the license of physicians (correct me if I am wrong in your case), their a**es are on the line. Some physicians are more enlightened and engaged (your medical director?) in the EMS system. I already know of some REAL sticks in the mud as far as medical director go.... Regardless, we are the ones who need to prove we can take on more skills as part of our scope of practice by producing evidence-based research. And, anyway, isn't doing research into our own practice key in moving paramedicine towards acceptance as a profession in its own right?

What do you think?

Not sure where you live and or work but where I am we are self regulated. I do not need an MD to work as a medic.

where I work we use the The Canadian C spine to rule out/in(though to even get there you need to suspect a c-spine injury) If I remember correctly a pt NY brought up self extricated from an car and had no pain or deficits...why board this pt?

Many provinces are looking at changing from protocols to treatment guidelines (BC has or is in the process now)....allowing the medics to do what they were trained to do....treat pts and not protocols. There is also a move for self regulation in several provinces.

There is also a lot of research being done by medics in Canada and around the world. Compared to other medical fields it is not a lot, but it is growing every year.

ThirdCareerMedic

Forum Crew Member
Not sure where you live and or work but where I am we are self regulated. I do not need an MD to work as a medic.

Hmmm.... Correct me if I am wrong, but all EMS responders in Canada are LICENSED to practice within their scope, but they cannot practice INDEPENDENTLY like a doctor. In other words, EMS responders have a delegated practice with transfers of function under the licensing umbrella of their Medical Director. At least, this is what I have been led to believe....

Please explain how it is in your province if my understanding is incorrect.

BTW, I am aware that some provinces in Canada have a college (self-regulate) and others are moving towards this. However, it is NOT the norm yet across Canada....

For those in the US, please share how you are legally able to practice--who takes the fall if you do everything according to protocol/medical direction. Thanks!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You should probably make a new thread on the topic since it is kind of taking the over this thread.

ThirdCareerMedic

Forum Crew Member

Hmmm.... Correct me if I am wrong, but all EMS responders in Canada are LICENSED to practice within their scope, but they cannot practice INDEPENDENTLY like a doctor. In other words, EMS responders have a delegated practice with transfers of function under the licensing umbrella of their Medical Director. At least, this is what I have been led to believe....

BTW, I am aware that some provinces in Canada have a college (self-regulate) and others are moving towards this. However, it is NOT the norm yet across Canada....

For those in the US, please share how you are legally able to practice--who takes the fall if you do everything according to protocol/medical direction. Thanks!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Hmmm.... That may be an idea.... Does it hurt if the directionless thread has a direction for a while? Just asking! (Not lip! LOL!)

Yes, it does. This is the only thread for off topic discussion. An ongoing medical discussion should have its own thread. Otherwise it totally runs over all of the off topic posts in this thread.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

PM sent

to get back off topic I have to be to work in 5 hours:(

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Lesson of the night is wear your gear when you're riding a motorcycle. Also, don't run from the police on said motorcycle.

That guy's helmet and jacket saved his life and he's gonna be able to sit in jail with minimal injuries which is incredible to me. He t-boned another car whilst traveling 95 mph per the pursuing units. Thrown about 35-40 feet. Never knew there were so many parts to a motorcycle :p

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I wish I could just be ripped without having to workout.

Goin to the gym 5 days a week is such a hassle.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So yesterday I was finally able to take my new mountain bike out to some of the trails around here... was planning on a six mile loop (six out six back)... made it three miles into the return trip, when my tire went flat. Patched it... went flat again. Damn NM thorns. Walked thebike back the last three hours... oh and did I mention it started pouring rain too about a quarter mile into my walk? Lol

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So yesterday I was finally able to take my new mountain bike out to some of the trails around here... was planning on a six mile loop (six out six back)... made it three miles into the return trip, when my tire went flat. Patched it... went flat again. Damn NM thorns. Walked thebike back the last three hours... oh and did I mention it started pouring rain too about a quarter mile into my walk? Lol

Was it also up hill both ways with knee deep snow? :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Was it also up hill both ways with knee deep snow? :p
Lol I was feeling kinda like that by the time I made it back to my truck. Note to self: SLIME in tires is a good thing out here.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Anyone ever hear of an bousniac mask?
Few questions regarding it:
How is it used?
When is it used?
Why should it be used over other ways of delivering o2?
Can you provide a good link (besides wiki) regarding the device
And what is the correct spelling?