the 100% directionless thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My gaydar is horrible.

Spend some time down in my division and that will fix your gaydar. Only problem is that once it's working correctly it won't stop going off lol

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Both have virtually the saem meaning.

Dead by electricity or dead by water :)

Disagree.

If someone with half a brain saw a patient that said "I was electrocuted, and my arm is a little numb." theyd realize that the person isn't dead.

Now, if someone walked in and said "I just drowned." they'd either look at them like they were an idiot, or theyd yell "holy :censored:! a zombie! Quick, marge, get the guns!"

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Still reading the book Veneficus recommended awhile back. Decided I'd post what I learned in this directionless thread...

*Monosaccharides are the sugar that we can use.
*Disaccharides are two of them so they can't be broken down as easily (need enzymes to break them back into monosaccharides), and it's how it's transport.
*Polysacchrides are how they are stored for future use, and I believe they are broken apart or put together by dehydration and hydrolysis.
*Learned that there is a alpha-glucose and beta-glucose
*Starch is a polysacchride of alpha-glucose
*Cellulose is a polysacchride of beta-glucose
*Chintin is is like cellulose, but the hydroxyl group is replace by N-acetyl.
*Learned about amylin and and amylopectin.
*Finally understand the notations MedicRob was using (e.g. alpha-1,4) cause the book explained it and showed a picture of it. At least I think that's the same thing Rob was posting, but not with glucose.

If I made any mistake with my little summary above, I do enjoy free lessons.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Disagree.

If someone with half a brain saw a patient that said "I was electrocuted, and my arm is a little numb." theyd realize that the person isn't dead.

Now, if someone walked in and said "I just drowned." they'd either look at them like they were an idiot, or theyd yell "holy :censored:! a zombie! Quick, marge, get the guns!"

Or... you could be like ANY person that uses the proper term, and look at both people like they were idiots. :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Near drowning.

So that someone should walk in and go "I just nearly drowned" :D

So if I zap myself lets say by sticking a fork in a outlet. And I dont die. And go to the hospital what do I tell the doctor?

Hey I just zapped myself?

Jolted myself?

Fried myself?

Nearly electrocuted?

Or Hey doc I electrocuted my self on an outlet. I can't feel my arm?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown supposes you could call it electrical injury

Brown got zapped when Brown was like 17, Brown was unconscious for like 40 minutes and it took Brown eight weeks to walk properly without pain

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So if I zap myself lets say by sticking a fork in a outlet. And I dont die. And go to the hospital what do I tell the doctor?

Hey I just zapped myself?

Jolted myself?

Fried myself?

Nearly electrocuted?

Or Hey doc I electrocuted my self on an outlet. I can't feel my arm?

You laugh...

I had a call for an "electrocution" at a high school. We arrived there to find a 17 y/o male who burned his crotch because he didn't believe his giant metal belt buckle would conduct electricity from a disassembled wall outlet.

As if that wasn't enough, his most pressing question for the doctor in the ED was: "How long is this going to take because I am a starter on the football team and we have a game tonight?"

Sasha

Forum Chief
Patient with an electrical burn.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
You laugh...

I had a call for an "electrocution" at a high school. We arrived there to find a 17 y/o male who burned his crotch because he didn't believe his giant metal belt buckle would conduct electricity from a disassembled wall outlet.

As if that wasn't enough, his most pressing question for the doctor in the ED was: "How long is this going to take because I am a starter on the football team and we have a game tonight?"

When my HEMS friend was working as Sr Anaes Reg he got called down to ED because this bloke had a large nail (like one of the ones about six inches long) in the lumen of his anterioinferior projection.

Makes you wonder why they did not call urology?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
When my HEMS friend was working as Sr Anaes Reg he got called down to ED because this bloke had a large nail (like one of the ones about six inches long) in the lumen of his anterioinferior projection.

I think anteroinferior projection is my new favorite "medical term."

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Because at that point anesthesia is definately the most important treatment I would want before anyone else was brought in to "fix" anything else.

Besides, anesthesia is critical medicine. Does it get more critical? :)

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
I had a kid stick scissors in an outlet once, shock himself pretty good, and we packed him off to the ER. He came back the next day and was mad because the people in the ER kept telling him he only had a burn and wasn't electrocuted.