the 100% directionless thread

medic417

The Truth Provider
I think I saw that DVD on the store shelf, but it's not my thing.

Seriously, is that a common abbreviation?

Yes. Why would you ever DRAG it out? :p

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
*Brown backs away slowly not making any sudden moves, noises or eye contact

Ambulance, Medivac airborne ....

JPINFV

Gadfly
Dear cardiologists, can we please just pick one term and use it consistently? Is it "premature ventricular contraction," premature ventricular complex," or "ventricular premature complex (VPC)?"

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So, we were driving back to the station after shift last night when we rolled up on a fresh MVC. It was so fresh that the police on scene weren't even called to it, but just happened upon it seconds before we did.

Dallas fire ended up sending just an engine and the tiller since we were on scene.

Watching a tiller do a rolling block of 5 lanes on the highway is a fantastic sight.

DFD%20Truck57.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Must have been one big car to need a tiller on scene!

Seriously, what a waste of money!

Sparky21

Forum Probie
lightsandsirens heres one for you...

I was working ift last night with my normal partner after a relatively interesting day. We got kicked out on an out of town transport to a small town just outside of sho low which is about 4 hours north of us. We pick up another emt and are running a bariatric pt home. 20 miles...yes 20 miles from our main station we break down. Big surprise for the company i work for. It took them 3 hours to get us a unit to finish the transport. So we sat on the side of the road pt on board for 3 hours!! In that time management refused to send on of our ambos and tried to pawn it off on two other companies and argued with us that there was a problem. The tow truck even got there before a replacement ambo... that was just part of the shift and they wonder why so many southwest/rural metro employees are so discruntled :ph34r:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Must have been one big car to need a tiller on scene!

Seriously, what a waste of money!

Normally I'd agree, but it was a busy highway at 3am, with the accident split on both sides of the west bound lanes. The 5 lanes needed to be shut down till we could clear it.

From experience, they don't typically send the tiller to highway accidents, as it tends to be more downtown for highrise fires. It must have just gotten off a call and have been in the area.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
lightsandsirens heres one for you...

I was working ift last night with my normal partner after a relatively interesting day. We got kicked out on an out of town transport to a small town just outside of sho low which is about 4 hours north of us. We pick up another emt and are running a bariatric pt home. 20 miles...yes 20 miles from our main station we break down. Big surprise for the company i work for. It took them 3 hours to get us a unit to finish the transport. So we sat on the side of the road pt on board for 3 hours!! In that time management refused to send on of our ambos and tried to pawn it off on two other companies and argued with us that there was a problem. The tow truck even got there before a replacement ambo... that was just part of the shift and they wonder why so many southwest/rural metro employees are so discruntled :ph34r:

Holy crap. Three hours?!?! I thought we had it bad waiting an hour. Not to mention the pt was in another ambulance and on the way to the hospital within 20-30 minutes.

Sorry to hear that man. So I'm assuming you work for RM SW? I've heard terrible things about RM in general.

Lol. I almost feel bad abbreviating something as bad as Rural Metro as RM. Those are one of my best friend's initials. Just thought it was funny.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Normally I'd agree, but it was a busy highway at 3am, with the accident split on both sides of the west bound lanes. The 5 lanes needed to be shut down till we could clear it.

From experience, they don't typically send the tiller to highway accidents, as it tends to be more downtown for highrise fires. It must have just gotten off a call and have been in the area.

That's what I was guessing. Either that or all the nearest due engine companies were occupied. Most cities seem to send engines on aid calls as a first due and ladders as second due. It could have been the nearest due ladder.

Anyhow, I bet that was pretty neat. Don't get to see a tiller in operation every day.

---------------------------

I am starving.

mct601

RN/NRP
looooong time no see. I have been a full time student AND a full time EMT, so I get no time to goof off around the internet like before :(

so the other night I think I passed my first big test as a fresh EMT. the night started by us getting toned out to a car wreck, but getting canceled. another unit was closer. next thing you know, the remaining units in the county are toned out and we are left (northern truck), so dispatch sends us to post at the station in the middle. just as we are leaving to post, we get toned for a burn that would typically be in the coverage area of one of the other trucks. I figured it is probably minor, until dispatch informs us that the air ambulance was en route.
we arrive at the scene, and its fairly overwhelming. a gas stove exploded in a house and there were people everywhere (bystanders, lookie-loos, and a good amount of volly FF). I get out of the truck and immediately see the most critical pt wrapped in a blanket on a backboard so I grab the stretcher and get him in the truck and on the onboard O2. my medic as this point is assessing the second pt. she then returns to attempt IV access and BP on the first (critical) guy. this man is burned from head to toe, fairly bad. he didn't have burns around his pelvis and on his feet (assuming his shorts and shoes spared that). he had circumferencial burns on his arms and calves, partial thickness burns from his head to his ankles, and was somewhat responsive. I assisted the medic and after a few minutes of attempting IV access, she said lets get him to the LZ (the airmedic beat us by 5-10 minutes and was waiting less than 1/2 a mile away).
once we arrive, the airmedic crew practically pushes us aside and takes over in the truck. they attempt IV access, IO, and intubation. they eventually got an IV in his foot, and I did not ever see them get him intubated after pushing paralytics. after a few moments of being there, I'm told the other pt was also at the LZ and another chopper is coming for him. I grab the jumpbag and airway bag and head over to him. he doesn't SEEM nearly as bad as the first guy. I spike an IV line for my medic to get a line on him, and as I was about to get a second set of vitals, the second chopper arrives and wants him on a backboard and loaded. so we do. I find out the destination of the pts for the families and they take off. We were on scene for approx 30minutes, but with all that was going on it felt like three hours. never in my life have I seen so many people, and never in my life have I ever seen so much rudeness in one area. there was no need for 70% of the people there. we actually had a guy come up to us in a t-shirt with our company's emblem and look in the truck, and when he was asked something he said "oh no, I don't want in this. i'm off today."

but we survived. my medic was distraught about the call- like I said, I don't know her- I don't know how she typically acts after a bad call. IMO, the call was bad, but there's always worse. the reason I said I passed my first test is I worked the entire time calm and composed, and never made a mistake (to my knowledge). fire dept guys were somewhat cocky about how long it took for us to make it out there, I got asked multiple times on scene "uh, WHERE did ya'll come from?" I told them despite being busy, and obviously that wasn't good enough. a county supe contacted my supe wanting run times and all kinds of mess. I just learned of this when I got to work this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
so the other night I think I passed my first big test as a fresh EMT.

The scenario is worthy of its own thread. There are many things you could learn here, the topic has direction.

mct601

RN/NRP
The scenario is worthy of its own thread. There are many things you could learn here, the topic has direction.

I'll post it in a thread, and more in depth. It might be a pretty good long running thread "What I learned on shift today".... ;)

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I have an interview with local 911 service this week! :)

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Good luck on the interview!