the 100% directionless thread

8jimi8

CFRN
Dude why the hell is part of your training getting shot by a tazer gun?

Its not like you will be shooting people with a tazer... i could see if you were a cop, like they have to get sprayed in the face with mace and everything...
but how is this comparable to your line of duty?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It has nothing to do with paramedic school, and I wasn't required or forced to do it.

We were at the firestation yesterday and they are joined with a police station. The PD was sending one of their new recruits through a taser certification class, so a new FF and I were invited to learn proper taser removal and dealing with tased patients.

We had the opportunity to get Tased and I thought why not.

Longest 5 seconds of my life.

(And before the naysayers come... I still took all the calls that came in during the time I was there)

8jimi8

CFRN
Dang Bro,

glad you didn't die! freaking scary. i didnt quite get your "screaming like a girl" comment until i saw the picture.

At least it was elective. i was feeling REAL bad for you thinking that was part of your course!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It has nothing to do with paramedic school, and I wasn't required or forced to do it.

We were at the firestation yesterday and they are joined with a police station. The PD was sending one of their new recruits through a taser certification class, so a new FF and I were invited to learn proper taser removal and dealing with tased patients.

We had the opportunity to get Tased and I thought why not.

Longest 5 seconds of my life.

(And before the naysayers come... I still took all the calls that came in during the time I was there)

Ah that brings back memories. Although for me it was when I was working security. Hurts like a mother. But I had to do it to get my Taser cert

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
Hey Everyone!
I'm semi-back....lol

oneluv79^_^

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Something clicked when I was skiing yesterday and I suddenly became alot better. I went from the old snowplow turn to parrallel in probably half an hour.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Interview in the am with a local IFT company. They are pretty solid but lets see if they make an actual offer close to what I was told I would get. If they do then it will make a great "in the mean time" until I go back to school, if not then they can kiss it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Interview in the am with a local IFT company. They are pretty solid but lets see if they make an actual offer close to what I was told I would get. If they do then it will make a great "in the mean time" until I go back to school, if not then they can kiss it.

Good luck! You'll do great :D

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Me to my drunk driving patient last night:

"Sir, I'm an EMT, I can PROMISE you that I will NOT be arresting you" <_<

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
just an FYI when a bariatric (doesnt look right but whatever, you all know what i mean) stretcher gets lowered on your foot with 700+ lb pt on it, it hurts like a mother! i thought my foot was gonna be cut in half but thank goodness for my boys and the nurses they saved me. my battle scar a big A** bruise and a foot that barely fits in my boot. but no breaks thank goodness!

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
Had my first CPR on my first clinical today.

Lucky.....I've been an emt for almost 8 years have NEVER done CPR. Our fire department usually does it cause as it was put to me "your skills and knowledge of where to pull stuff from, are better used when not doing CPR"

guess the ole boys have a point ;-)

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Had my first CPR on my first clinical today.

I was an EMT for just over a year when I got my first CPR. Would have much rather gotten during clinical's. I was a little nervous, probably due to it being my first one and that I was by myself until the fire department got there.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Ah that brings back memories. Although for me it was when I was working security. Hurts like a mother. But I had to do it to get my Taser cert

We don't use tasers (yet) in NJ, though when I was doing my (law school) clinicals in Indiana, I had a client who had been tazed while sitting in his car. The police report claimed the barbs where in his inner thigh. He claimed to have been tazed in his... ahem... manhood. Well, scrotum, to be more precise.

I don't understand this concept of being tazed and/or sprayed by OC spray to "learn what it feels like." Firearms training doesn't involve, "Okay, here's your gun, let's go out and shoot you with it."

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I don't understand this concept of being tazed and/or sprayed by OC spray to "learn what it feels like." Firearms training doesn't involve, "Okay, here's your gun, let's go out and shoot you with it."

Couple of reasons:

The possibility of second-hand OC is actually fairly common. Going through it in a controlled arena lets you get prepared for what it feels like so you aren't caught 'off guard' in the field, and totally incapacitated by it.

Plus when it comes to Tasers, the general consensus is, if a suspect pulls a Taser on you, or grabs your own, you use deadly force right away. When in court, you can state that you've gone through it before and it will incapacitate you for a while, giving the suspect a chance to grab your handgun and possibly use it on you, which is obviously a no-no.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Here I am thinking hey, I'm 21, my wisdom teeth are doing pretty good.

But no, my back right bottom one felt like being a butt-hole and is now pushing up against a flap of skin and is a constant annoyance. 3 days before I leave for spring break.