the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Good news, our station's backup generator works just fine, kicked in exactly as it was supposed to right after the neighborhood lost power. We had *just* backed into quarters at 0130 after running a call when everything went dark, and a couple min later the lights were back on... and then another minute we got our next call...

Bad news, only like half the stations lights were powered by the generator, App bay, kitchen, but not the dorms...

But good news is that we didn't really need those

Because we had like 5 more calls between then and sunup, and maayyybbeee spent an hour or two total (spread out) in between overnight

Worst news, the outlets in the kitchen were part of the "not powered by the backup generator", so... no power to the coffee pot

But power kicked back on at around 0700

Of course we got a call before it was finished brewing, and then at 0745 (shift change is 0800) they wanted us to Relocate to cover another station....

But the oncoming shift guys were starting to arrive so instead of just leaving immediately... we let them take it

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Mazel tov!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Bit of a puff piece, but basically they're adding two Paramedic Rapid Response units (single medic SUV fly car) to our system. And hope to add two more Ambulance Units by summer.
(that would bring our EMS up to 25 ambulances I think? Just by way of comparison, Fire we have 43 stations with 63 companies (Engines, Ladder, Hazmat, and Rescue, combined)

Last years EMS call volume was just under 86,000 calls. And some of our monthly numbers this year are already seeing 20% spike in increase call volume. They're blaming fentanyl for at least part of it..

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And my favorite spam bait thread (FOAMED video on medical Marijuana) strikes again, followed by the Ban Hammer striking back.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Just accepted a new position as chief of an EMS agency.

Big changes.
In the event that I ever decide to go back to ground, care to share where? Feel free to slide me a PM if you don’t want to share publicly.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
In the event that I ever decide to go back to ground, care to share where? Feel free to slide me a PM if you don’t want to share publicly.
Trying to find out where to avoid? 🤣

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Bit of a puff piece, but basically they're adding two Paramedic Rapid Response units (single medic SUV fly car) to our system.
Our county recently implemented something similar so my old company is doing the same.

My understanding is that they bought a couple of new SUV’s, and are also using the supervisor units as fly cars. It would have been fun had I stayed. They’re single medic staffed too. Oh well.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Where I used to work, they did that too. They only did it in a city that didn't have fire ALS at all.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Our county recently implemented something similar so my old company is doing the same.

My understanding is that they bought a couple of new SUV’s, and are also using the supervisor units as fly cars. It would have been fun had I stayed. They’re single medic staffed too. Oh well.
Hall?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
We run about 4000/year.

Yikes, makes me think about my old station running 5000+ a year. That damn place is busier than some systems as a whole. Seen your FB post, congrats buddy.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yikes, makes me think about my old station running 5000+ a year. That damn place is busier than some systems as a whole. Seen your FB post, congrats buddy.
Thanks. I worked a regular shift as a medic yesterday, not as the chief. Of course, it was an utter disaster of a day. It will be the first chapter in my book.

I can already see how this is gonna go.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thanks. I worked a regular shift as a medic yesterday, not as the chief. Of course, it was an utter disaster of a day. It will be the first chapter in my book.

I can already see how this is gonna go.
Did anyone know you’re their soon-to-be next chief, or did you go all Undercover Boss on them?…

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Correct. And yes, @Aprz my understanding is that there was one other county whose had their first responder certificate approved through CHP to use QRV’s in that manner.

Theoretically they’d been doing it for years with supes when things were stretched thin or if they were needed, but these are actual stand alone paramedic shifts augmenting their system.

I think the other company was either Santa Clara or ALCO.