the 100% directionless thread

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Is it common for a volunteer organization to pay people? I thought that was a hard and fast no?
Some places require volunteers to be paid in order to be eligible for insurance and workman's comp. Some places don't pay volunteers but "reimburse" them for time and expenses associated with volunteering. Some places pay volunteers in order to meet minimum staffing levels or get people to respond to calls. It all varies by location. One thing is almost certain though...you won't make enough as a volunteer to support yourself.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Some places require volunteers to be paid in order to be eligible for insurance and workman's comp. Some places don't pay volunteers but "reimburse" them for time and expenses associated with volunteering. Some places pay volunteers in order to meet minimum staffing levels or get people to respond to calls. It all varies by location. One thing is almost certain though...you won't make enough as a volunteer to support yourself.

So then that's not really a big option for me. Besides creek, I don't really see any other options. But it seems risky

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
For someone about to put themselves through medic school, committing to an inflexible 911 job with sketchy job security and a role defined as “drive and tech this psych patient so I don’t have to do the paperwork” is a poor choice. You will learn more doing IFT with AMR. If you’re jonesing for 911 you should volunteer on a schedule that works for you with Community.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Why can't we argue like British intellectuals from the late twentieth century?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Gawkers.

When at a residence, every so often a rando will come by and ask is he/she is okay and what's going on. I generally say something like "I'm sorry, but I can't release any patient information".

They seem to get annoyed.

I guess that's just what is gonna happen? Is there something more tactful to say?

I'm of course not going to give any pt info regardless, but I guess this is just the nature of the gawkers?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Back when I worked Compton/Willowbrook/inner city areas, my partner would always answer the inevitable bystander questions of "what happened?" With "Shark Bite".

Unfortunately I can't use that one here lol

A couple weeks ago they had to do a body recovery in the hills (elderly gentleman with dementia had just up and gone up one of the hiking trails one day, was missing for weeks before they finally found him), someone asked me what all the helicopters were doing, I almost answered but our Capt cut me off "Oh I don't know, they must've been training". Later he actually mentioned HIPAA more so than the sensitiveness of recovery vs rescue for not saying more 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyways gawkers annoy me butting in on a scene while we're tryna work so I'm not too concerned if they get annoyed back by non answers

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Back when I worked Compton/Willowbrook/inner city areas, my partner would always answer the inevitable bystander questions of "what happened?" With "Shark Bite".

A couple weeks ago they had to do a body recovery in the hills (elderly gentleman with dementia had just up and gone up one of the hiking trails one day, was missing for weeks before they finally found him), someone asked me what all the helicopters were doing, I almost answered but our Capt cut me off "Oh I don't know, they must've been training". Later he actually mentioned HIPAA more so than the sensitiveness of recovery vs rescue for not saying more 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyways gawkers annoy me butting in on a scene while we're tryna work so I'm not too concerned if they get annoyed back by non answers

Next time I'm saying shark bite

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I always look around, give them a conspiratorial look, then quietly tell them it’s a UFO crash site and they’re doing a body removal.

The press hate me.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Snowmobile accident would be a good one for your location.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Polar bear attack.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm just an antisocial *** and flat out ignore them. Unless they're right up on my patient that is.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Met my sister's boyfriend in person for the first time. Went with just a really firm handshake for my intimidation tactic. That and being 6'4".

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Met my sister's boyfriend in person for the first time. Went with just a really firm handshake for my intimidation tactic. That and being 6'4".

I have a very firm handshake and look them right in the eye. "Dad people" are usually more like "That's a good strong handshake" and are grinning. I accidentally squeeze the hands of small people.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... just talked to a realtor about that condo I was eyeing? Apparently it has a $600/mo maintenance fee, plus $1,050/mo leasehold fee on top of any mortgage I'd get for it, but no matter cuz its in escrow right now anyway

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Apparently it has a $600/mo maintenance fee, plus $1,050/mo

bro that’s more than my mortgage for my 1600sqft house.