the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Woot, we all passed our Final today! Everyone also passed our two HFD specific skills tests today to, so we all get to come back after the holiday to spend all next week working towards passing our National Registry skills lol

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Woot, we all passed our Final today! Everyone also passed our two HFD specific skills tests today to, so we all get to come back after the holiday to spend all next week working towards passing our National Registry skills lol

Wait, do you have to do the skills too ? You have the National Registry though.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
D8588D6F-10F4-416C-87BF-9B00AD5EAF60.jpeg

I found this funny as a EMT but now I can 100% relate after passing my NREMT-P

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Has it changed for EMT like it did for paramedic?
We've been told the guaranteed skills we will be tested on are: Trauma patient assessment/management; Medical Patient assessment/management; Cardiac Arrest Management/AED; Spinal Immobilization (Supine); BVM Ventilation of an Apneic Adult Patient; and Oxygen Administration by Non-Rebreather Mask. Our random stations (I think they said we'll do 2 of them? I forget, will double check tomorrow in class): Spinal Immobilization (Seated) aka KED station; Bleeding Control/Shock Management; Long Bone Immobilization; and Joint Immobilization
Wait, do you have to do the skills too ? You have the National Registry though.
Yup, I'm doing the whole shebang, skills, NR computer test. I HAD national, but I let it expire. (My initial certification was back in 2012, and I never renewed it, I was looking at the requirements to renew a cert that's expired 2+ years and it was basically take a refresher and retest....which this class is a little more involved, but since I would have to sit through the class either way, might as well be paid to go through all that vs paying to figure out the hoops on my own lol

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, one of my friends nearly failed his HFD skills for forgetting one of the CMS checks during the traction splinting skill station. And for HFD standards, any test, academic or skills, you get one retest. Fail the restest and the white shirts decide your fate (so far we've lost one guy for failing skills testing, one of the fire skills; and another guy for failing too may academic tests, once again on the fire side) They said, "Yeah National Registry allows up to 3 retests, but if your taking that third test, that will no longer be as a part of Recruit Academy"..... (hence why even for me and the other guys that had done NR in the past, skills testing is a bit stressful!!)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Well now that I've officially gotten my sleep schedule flipped, 0200 sounds like a great time to get to the gym. Might be the only perk to this new shift is just how empty the gym gets after around 2300.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Snowing in houston

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The Houston metro is essentially shut down.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
The amount of lies being spread about CA AB-263 is ridiculous. There's a copy paste going around that states the exact opposite of what the bill will be doing. Its insane.

It gives us extra pay if a meal time is not given uninterrupted, it also holds companies accountable for accurate recordkeeping and requires they turn over these records to the employee if requested.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB263

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Columbus, GA it's snowed down here and there is tons of ice on the roads right now. Plenty of tire tracks showing lots of people have gone off the roads this morning. Glad I'm not working and went to the market already and am staying inside today. I've lived where there is snow before so it's not a big deal to me, but apparently some people still haven't learned to drive slow on ice.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Is it just me, or did the president's physician seem a bit optimistic about the president's health? BMI of 29...meh-control over hypercholesterolemia...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, unrelated...

Is taking TECC totally worthless for a BLS provider?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Trade knowledge is always good. That's the stuff you wanna know and NEVER have to use.

I guess I'm just hesitant to blow $250 on it, even if it is tax deductible...