the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm on no team because of school. Storm of the decade and it falls on the one time I can't go. Ugh.
We sent out 3 people from our division so far. Wish it was the older days when I was always on team one because of the lack of people on the team.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
And you can stay the entire deployment if you wish.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
And you can stay the entire deployment if you wish.
They will still give you the option. It’s easier to keep employees there than to bring in new ones

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I was on the DRT at AMR. It looked good on applications but they would only ever accept part time employees for standby. Nobody ever deployed in my time there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was on the DRT at AMR. It looked good on applications but they would only ever accept part time employees for standby. Nobody ever deployed in my time there.

For us we are placed on a rotating list between several national teams (for FEMA activation) and state teams (for state declared disasters and immediate coverage areas). So far we have sent 3 from my division and all of them are full time guys.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
At least my dinner came out okay! Need to use a differrent seasoning next time
20170825_171643_1503706859117.jpg

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

I deployed to Louisiana for Isaac. It was fun

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
My best wishes going out to any of you folks in this hurricanes path, news said up to 50 inches.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
When the freeway is only a few hundred yards from your balcony and you look out and wonder why on earth there is heavy traffic building on a Saturday morning, then a few minutes later hear sirens and see a police car drive by in the traffic, followed shortly by a fire engine, and then an ambulance, then 3 more police cars in a little convoy, a few minutes later a 5th cop, then a second ambulance and eventually a 6th cop.....hmmm

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
When the freeway is only a few hundred yards from your balcony and you look out and wonder why on earth there is heavy traffic building on a Saturday morning, then a few minutes later hear sirens and see a police car drive by in the traffic, followed shortly by a fire engine, and then an ambulance, then 3 more police cars in a little convoy, a few minutes later a 5th cop, then a second ambulance and eventually a 6th cop.....hmmm

How goes the new gig so far?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
How goes the new gig so far?
Good, just completed Week 3 of Academy (29 more weeks to go!) We're starting to transition out of the classroom and into practical stuff, like yesterday we broke out the turnouts for the first time and practiced putting them on. Standard is 1 min, I think once I just beat the clock and most everytime I'm struggling with that final turnout glove and finish a few seconds over (not too bad for the first time lol)

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Good, just completed Week 3 of Academy (29 more weeks to go!) We're starting to transition out of the classroom and into practical stuff, like yesterday we broke out the turnouts for the first time and practiced putting them on. Standard is 1 min, I think once I just beat the clock and most everytime I'm struggling with that final turnout glove and finish a few seconds over (not too bad for the first time lol)

It definitely gets easier with practice. I think first time I put on turnouts I was 58 seconds? What's the schedule like for academy out there? M-F 9-5?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It definitely gets easier with practice. I think the first time I put on turnouts I was 58 seconds? What's the schedule like for academy out there? M-F 9-5?
Yeah I'm hoping lol Unfortunately we're not allowed to take our gear home to practice over the weekend

but yeah, Monday thru Friday, 0745-1630 actually (lunch is officially 1200-1245, but depending on the day and the RTO we'll usually get closer to an hour in actuality, the other day we had an hour and a half! Though last week during CPR the instructors only gave us the 45 min, what sucks is we can't wear uniform off the training site, so if you wanna run across the street to the little strip mall for lunch you have to change out your shirt at the least, so most of us just bring a lunch though a few regularly go off site, and I've done that once or twice, just don't get hung up in traffic or anything! lol)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@Jim37F does the HFD seem to want to move towards ALS engines, or becoming an ALS department? And are more than a handful of their firefighters (inactive) paramedics?

In other news: is anyone else boycotting this rubbish douchebaggery they're calling a "super fight"?

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm...in my 3 weeks here so far, I haven't picked up any overt feelings that the department is interested in adding ALS.....I think I heard someone say it was only a few years ago they upgraded from EMR to BLS! Maybe once we get to the EMT portion of the Academy, and/or out on the line I'll be able to give a more accurate answer, but for now at least, from the Recruit class there doesn't seem to be any particular push towards ALS (only 1 guy in our 50 person class is a medic, and even only a handful of us are EMTs)