the 100% directionless thread

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
It can get cold enough in Abilene so that you think you're in S. Dakota or Montana.

It's sort of the weather, plus school at present (finishing bachelor's #2 in healthcare administration) and Creek being a good place, and I want the MHA from U of H too...it's doable in the time I have left on the GI Bill. On the other hand, I really want to run somewhere, and I'm unlikely to get that at Creek. On the other other hand, I also want to teach, and I think I'd be a somewhat better teacher than a leader (although I'd do well at both).

Also, the Abilene jobs have been a meat grinder recently, and it seems like there's some turmoil there. I'm not sure why, but I don't like it.

I just dunno.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
It's like I've woken up and found myself with knowledge and abilities that I haven't used before, with education and credentials and such, but I've never done anything like these would require outside of a small-town shift supervisor/trainer role (which is not quite the same), and it's intimidating to leave what I know I am good at to do something I am uncertain about.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For anyone that's ever wondered, I just got quoted $1400 to ship my pickup from LA to Honolulu
I'm not surprised. While I've never checked into what it costs to ship a car to HI, I was always quite certain it would be fairly expensive. One of the reasons things are more expensive there is the cost of shipping.

Otherwise, Congrats!!!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
For anyone that's ever wondered, I just got quoted $1400 to ship my pickup from LA to Honolulu
It cost me $1,200 to ship mine from Florida to California, and that was back in 2005.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
When you're logged into the control panel and someone starts creating multiple spam accounts, and you block them in real time...

AR15firing.gif

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Doesn't seem too bad at all, considering distance and logistics. I was quoted almost that much to have my Jeep shipped from Charlotte to Denver.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
...aaaaannnndd after my pickup started overheating and running real rough and having a not good rattling sound, mechanic said it looks like I'll need a new radiator, possibly a valve job or something? :confused:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
...aaaaannnndd after my pickup started overheating and running real rough and having a not good rattling sound, mechanic said it looks like I'll need a new radiator, possibly a valve job or something? :confused:
Or perhaps a sign to up and leave your truck, m'halo.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had my truck 8 years (bought used, I'm the second owner, after getting back from my first deployment in 2009), just shy of 150,000 miles, and this is only the second time I've had a breakdown forcing me into the repair shop (I've had my share of visits to the shop sure, but not where I've had to stop what I was doing to limp in vs following up a check engine light or whatever "yeah I have my 4 day coming up I'll take it in then")

(The other breakdown was while I was still in the Army, can't remember, but within the first few years of me owning it, but basically either a dead battery killed the alternator or vice versa and I had to replace both at the same time....otherwise I've successfully driven from NC to MO and back for a weekend concert fest shortly before my third deployment and then cross country home after the Army, but still have the monthly round trip to/from LA to San Diego, plus commuting in LA traffic ~40 some odd miles one way for most of the last 5 years, plus a few road trips to Vegas and whatnot without major issues, I did have an expensive transmission service dine but that wasn't a breakdown like this, overall I'd call my truck reliable.....)

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
after getting back from my first deployment in 2009)

Jesus I didn't think you were that old... I was a freshman in high school in 09.

just shy of 150,000 miles, and this is only the second time I've had a breakdown forcing me into the repair shop

My truck is going strong at 135,000 miles... with a gigantic *** dent in the tailgate from a stupid *** tree... yeah I'm still bitter about it... should go back up there with my chainsaw and show it whose boss.