Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
They would be executed.
Slowly...

126218644732zi0u.jpg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Games are the most intensive, which games or what kind?
I was half hoping the $400 model I was looking at was a good Labor Day sale at Best Buy lol. PC games, well honestly I haven't played the latest greatest in a while, but I'd like to be able to see what the next newest addiction that everyone will be talking about lol.....um yeah, Steam games...I wanna download Kerbal Space Program lol, some oldies include Command and Conquer, Freelancer, Overlord, Spore if that gives you kind of a sense of what new games I'd want to pick up...so at least an i5 according to one of my friends.

Ok, what are the equivalents of other companies processors (like I saw an AMX something or other) and what sort of RAM would y'all recommend? The $400 one had 6GB (a slightly cheaper one only had 4 and the sales guy said I'd def notice the difference)

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Go with an i5 laptop, don't go with the cheapest, nor the most expensive. Get one with at least 4GB RAM, computers with more will not make things faster unless if you make a habit of watching YouTube videos while playing video games. The alternative processors (AMD/ATI) will do the job, but I have no comparisons to give.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Go with an i5 laptop, don't go with the cheapest, nor the most expensive. Get one with at least 4GB RAM, computers with more will not make things faster unless if you make a habit of watching YouTube videos while playing video games. The alternative processors (AMD/ATI) will do the job, but I have no comparisons to give.
what would I expect to pay for a mid range? A quick look around show a range between 600-800, is that right?

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Well, got the day off due to being sick. :( Yeah 3 day weekend not by choice!

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
what would I expect to pay for a mid range? A quick look around show a range between 600-800, is that right?
I was thinking more 500-700 if buying from the specialized internet retailers (Newegg, TigerDirect, etc.)

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

If you have the money Jim have you ever considered building one? You could have someone else put all the pieces together, and you can build it to your needs and specifications.

Im with Flying on you need latest 4GB of RAM, if you're using a computer for gaming and such like you said in your initial post you might want to look into a desktop. Laptops are nice and all but for gaming desktops are typically the better choice.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I've considered a desktop actually. If I was just going between home and work, a desktop and tablet would be a great combo, however with the Reserves where I find myself needin to be a little more mobile, it just makes things a lot easier to have the laptop

CALEMT

I've considered a desktop actually. If I was just going between home and work, a desktop and tablet would be a great combo, however with the Reserves where I find myself needin to be a little more mobile, it just makes things a lot easier to have the laptop

Gotcha, I would gear towards a gaming laptop. The reasoning would be that gaming would be most intensive for all the tech crap inside (I'm not to tech savvy haha).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok I'm at Best Buy and I found an Asus laptop wit a 15.6in screen (which is the size I like), a built in CD drive (which I really want, hate tying up limited USB ports for something that used to be a ubiquitous standard feature I actually use lol), Intel i5 processor, 6GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive for $450...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
....and I may be speaking too soon, there's a $650 one, with a built in Nvidia card that's really twisting my arm......aaaand I'll take it! Lol

(Someone Google'ing for new laptop advice is gonna wonder why on earth an EMT forum is popping up lol)

EMT2015

Forum Captain
(Someone Google'ing for new laptop advice is gonna wonder why on earth an EMT forum is popping up lol)
Not really. I googled my name once, and all the EMT stuff that I've looked at came up.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The one I went for has an Intel Core i5, NVIDIA graphics card w/2GB dedicated VRAM, 8GB DDR3 Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, DVD-RW drive, 15.6" HD 1366x768 16:9 display, 3x USB ports (2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0), and after what happened to my last laptop due to Army training, and very real possibility of similar circumstances in the future I let them talk me into a 2 year warranty, total price was a hair under $800

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you're looking for laptops for casual browsing, homework and that sort of thing... You can find great deals on off lease machines. Now, I buy only off lease Dell desktops and laptops for work and have had great luck. Laptops perfect to issue to an employee for <$200. A rockin' dual core, 64 bit win 7 pro dell optiplex with 4 gig of RAM is about $140. When you need to buy them pretty frequently, it's a cheap and easy solution.

CALEMT

I love working nights when you only get one call.