the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Every time I'm off and talk to my coworkers on the opposite shift from my station they get their asses handed to them.

I'm here today and we're already over halfway through the movie "Flight". I'll take it though, had my epidural in my neck and it's killing me. They said it usually increases pain and decrease ROM for 5-7 days then will start working. So we will see.

Not often that I want to take my meds but...I'm ready for this shift to be over so I can go home and take my pain meds and sleep.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
In other news, applied for admission to the CC here. They're going to start offering a BS in Emergency Management with a focus on EMS so I'm going to be taking prereqs online and some lab sciences at night to get ready for when they put it into the curriculum next fall.

Gives me the option to transfer a lot of credits to the University and hopefully grab a second major in something less specialized. Thinking it'll be a pretty potent combo having a degree in EMS/EM as well as either Business, Management or another thought I had was Bio so Id have options to go to AA school if they ever are allowed to practice in more states.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
another thought I had was Bio so Id have options to go to AA school if they ever are allowed to practice in more states.

Sounds like a solid plan.

But......if you are really interested in anesthesia, you could probably become a CRNA in roughly the same amount of time it'd take you to become an AA, and you'd have far more options as far as CC experience, maybe flight nursing along the way, where to go to anesthesia school, where to work afterwords, etc.

I'm just sayin'.....

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I know. I just really don't know if I want to do bedside nursing for 5 years to be a flight nurse. I guess I could potentially do gen Ed at the cc and apply to the ADN program but they usually require CNA experience which is asinine.

From what I've read about CRNA school I could start applying with a year of ICU experience. Would Medic/CCP/Flight medic experience help at all on top of nursing experience or not really?

If I do end up as a midlevel I want a specialty. I don't want to do ER or Urgent Care or Family Practice. I know I'd get bored really quickly. Doesn't seem like ICUs use midlevels, maybe ortho but I feel like that would be boring too unless you were assisting in surgery.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
There are literally mid levels everywhere doing everything, and it will only become more prevalent.

Also, come to Georgia and be an AA.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If I go the AA route I'll probably land in Colorado since I have family and friends there, my girl loves it there and they've got lots of mountains and actually get snow.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Really hope my state does not "shut down." I really don't want any delay in processing my paramedic cert.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know. I just really don't know if I want to do bedside nursing for 5 years to be a flight nurse. I guess I could potentially do gen Ed at the cc and apply to the ADN program but they usually require CNA experience which is asinine.

It just depends on what you want to do, man. If you really want to fly and you really don't want to put the time into nursing school and the ICU, then just do it as a paramedic.

The nice thing about doing it as a nurse though, is that 1) you'll know more what's going on with your sick patients - no disrespect meant to paramedics, but it's just true. 2) you'll have more job opportunities 3) you'll make more money, and 4) when you get sick of climbing into helicopters at 3am, just slide on into NP or CRNA school. That's basically what I did.

As far as the 5 year thing......it really depends on the flight program. It's more like 3 at most places, and some will even cut that down a little for your experience as a paramedic.

It's also worth mentioning that many people really like ICU work. I didn't care for it much personally, but I didn't hate it, either. I learned a ton.

From what I've read about CRNA school I could start applying with a year of ICU experience. Would Medic/CCP/Flight medic experience help at all on top of nursing experience or not really?

Depends on the program. Some do, some don't. Mine counted my flight experience. Some put a premium on ICU experience (time, acuity, patient complexity - CVRU vs. MICU), and some don't care much about your ICU experience as long as you have that magic 1 year, and instead put a premium on your academics. It just depends on which of the 120 programs you apply to.

If I do end up as a midlevel I want a specialty. I don't want to do ER or Urgent Care or Family Practice. I know I'd get bored really quickly. Doesn't seem like ICUs use midlevels, maybe ortho but I feel like that would be boring too unless you were assisting in surgery.

There are LOTS of good jobs for NP's and PA's right now, and it's only going to get better. Here in Charlotte they are used heavily, even in the ICU's and OR. I also wouldn't discount the primary care areas, though.....they might not be as boring as you think.

Here's the thing, brother: You are really young still. You can do anything you want. Flying, MD, PA, NP, AA, CRNA, Firefighter, manager.....the world is your oyster. BUT....blink a few times and you'll be 40.....

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Here's the thing, brother: You are really young still. You can do anything you want. Flying, MD, PA, NP, AA, CRNA, Firefighter, manager.....the world is your oyster. BUT....blink a few times and you'll be 40.....

My problem is I really don't know what I want to do. I truly do enjoy EMS, firefighter/medic has crossed my mind for the simple fact of it being a more stable and better paying career with a good retirement (in most places).

Flying is something I've always wanted to do but lately looking at a lot of programs around me they pay their medics crap, like Id take a solid paycut to fly and while money isn't everything I want a family eventually and to be able to support them without working ridiculous amounts of OT.

Nursing always pokes it's head in there and it's becoming more of an option to me. I might only be 25 but with the abuse I've put myself and my body through I feel 75 when I wake up and probably 50 when I finally do get up and moving but I refuse to take a boatload of painkillers all day every day which seems to be the answer most doctors have. I know that my body isn't going to stand up to the abuse of the system I work in now for the length of a career unless I end up as a Supe or riding a desk doing clinical stuff.

I need to start taking classes no matter what I do so that's the plan right now. I don't have to decide quite yet what I'm going to do.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I might only be 25 but with the abuse I've put myself and my body through I feel 75 when I wake up and probably 50 when I finally do get up and moving but I refuse to take a boatload of painkillers all day

If you already feel like this at 25 Robb just imagine what a career as a firefighter will add to a already "abused" body. Just some food for thought.

terrible one

Always wandering
If you already feel like this at 25 Robb just imagine what a career as a firefighter will add to a already "abused" body. Just some food for thought.

I'd have to agree, it's an extremely physically demanding job. Ask the people that have been doing it 20 + years, then honestly ask yourself if your body can handle that abuse for 20-25 years.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
If you don't want to abuse your body go to PA school and get a job with a hand surgeon ;)

If you want easy entry, good money, and flexibility go RN.

If you like anesthesia and playing candy crush go CRNA.

If you want ICU go to PA school for 2 years and then do a CC residency and get a job almost anywhere you want.

Just because you don't see mid levels somewhere doesn't mean they won't be there soon. At least 3 of my classmates are the first PAs in their offices.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Got our new unit today and it has the whelen siren, along with this EQ2B.... But it's been disconnected :(

5wxJFZZ.jpg

Got our new unit today and it has the whelen siren, along with this EQ2B.... But it's been disconnected :(

5wxJFZZ.jpg
I love our EQ2B siren! :)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I love our EQ2B siren! :)
I don't think we'll be allowed to use it It would be nice to have for its airhorn function :( Our electric airhorn also doesn't work either...

I don't think we'll be allowed to use it It would be nice to have for its airhorn function :( Our electric airhorn also doesn't work either...
I feel for you, I really do. I use my dual Whelen sirens, EQ2B, airhorn, and train horns daily.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I haven't worked in a couple of weeks, which was nice. Very nice actually. Seriously made me contemplate chucking this whole damn thing.

However, I am working today and right out of the gate, not even time to put my stuff in the station, BAM! Cardiac arrest. And this guy was full of beer and low country boil. For the uninitiated, that's corn, potatoes, sausage and shrimp in a spicy broth.

Thanks to overzealous first responders and their super squeezy BVM, the rapid insufflation of the patient resulted in the majority of his gastric contents erupting out of him like Mount Vesuvius.

All. Over. Everything.

Yeah, I had a spare uniform. And, you can actually hose off a LP12.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I haven't worked in a couple of weeks, which was nice. Very nice actually. Seriously made me contemplate chucking this whole damn thing.

However, I am working today and right out of the gate, not even time to put my stuff in the station, BAM! Cardiac arrest. And this guy was full of beer and low country boil. For the uninitiated, that's corn, potatoes, sausage and shrimp in a spicy broth.

Thanks to overzealous first responders and their super squeezy BVM, the rapid insufflation of the patient resulted in the majority of his gastric contents erupting out of him like Mount Vesuvius.

All. Over. Everything.

Yeah, I had a spare uniform. And, you can actually hose off a LP12.

I hate those super-squeezy BVM thingys.

Last edited: