the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You did check to make sure the water pump is working, right? That would be my first guess based on that presentation.

Agreed.

Definitely could be water pump related.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I just realized it's Saint Patty's day...why the :censored::censored::censored::censored: am I at home alone?

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I just realized it's Saint Patty's day...why the :censored::censored::censored::censored: am I at home alone?

Because the indicator saying you're online is your something green.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Apparently to get to my heater core I have to pull my entire dashboard out. I'm hoping this is the issue and not something else. My car overheated, and the fluid backed up into the resivour and boiled. I figured the thermostat went while it was hot, or something got clogged... Nope. Ran water through the top of the radiator, and it flowed out freely at the bottom. Pulled the thermostat and ran water through the otherside of the top of the radiator hose, and it flowed out where the thermostat housing is so I'm pretty sure there's no clogs... It's just odd, my heater stopped blowing hot too.

I'm also pretty sure it's not the head gasket since there's no smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, and no milky residue on the fill cap :/

Head gasket would leave oil in the coolant.
Water pump sounds plausible. Temperature raising when parked?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Because the indicator saying you're online is your something green.

Bahaha

I went out on Saturday to our Fire and EMS St. Baldrick's fundraiser and drank my fair share. I didn't intend on shaving my head. Hell I hate having short hair, but I did raise a fair share of money in the 15 minutes it took them to cut my mob off.

I said they lady was going to be pissed, they didn't care...she's more pissed than I thought she'd be. Whatever, it's hair it'll grow back and I did it for a good reason. Hell I was even nice enough to shave off my facial hair too because she was so upset about my hair hair being gone and she HATES facial hair. I feel like I look like I'm 12.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
In other news, finally got some people who owed me to pay me back. Albeit they aren't giving me money but 3 custom tunes for the truck and then a custom tune for the FICM will work nicely. Hey they owe me less than that's going to cost them but I'll take it.

Gonna be the fastest stock turbo truck around ;) She's a sneaky little girl too with her stock looks ;)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you able to just bypass the heater core itself? Connect the input/in flow tube directly to the output/out flow tube?

Should be able to find out if that's the issue. And with it being SoCal you don't really need a heater.

I'm not sure if I can access the hoses from the engine bay... I didn't even think to look. Ugh. I'll try tomorrow to see.

And I was thinking possibly water pump, tomorrow I'm going to put everything back together minus the t-stat and see if it moves water. I'm not sure what the chances of just the water pump going out of the blue though, doesn't it usually just leak, but the fins stay intact?

It started out heating when parked, or at red lights, then getting fine when moving again. But now it's always hot.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm not sure if I can access the hoses from the engine bay... I didn't even think to look. Ugh. I'll try tomorrow to see.

And I was thinking possibly water pump, tomorrow I'm going to put everything back together minus the t-stat and see if it moves water. I'm not sure what the chances of just the water pump going out of the blue though, doesn't it usually just leak, but the fins stay intact?

It started out heating when parked, or at red lights, then getting fine when moving again. But now it's always hot.

That happened to my unit the last shift I worked. No clue what our mechanic said was the issue.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Well... Now I'm having issues. Temp gauge is going bonkers. Made one quick pull and it bounced from 180-240... Went normal speed, 180. Parked at a light, 250... The hell...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Well... Now I'm having issues. Temp gauge is going bonkers. Made one quick pull and it bounced from 180-240... Went normal speed, 180. Parked at a light, 250... The hell...

That's exactly what I did before mine went bonkers too :( Damn onramps at 2am.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm thinking the gauge is just shot. It literally went up probably 50 degrees in about 5 seconds, then dropped by 40 in about 10...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm thinking the gauge is just shot. It literally went up probably 50 degrees in about 5 seconds, then dropped by 40 in about 10...

Sounds like my old lincoln. I got rid of that POS though, so much crap to deal with.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member

Not necessarily, water pumps can fail catastrophically, the fin wheel can become detached from the shaft, the fins themselves can disintegrate, the bearing can fail causing a partial or complete seizure of the shaft, or it could just be the belt going :)

For that I'd suspect either again, a water pump (I swear, that isn't my defacto answer for car problems!), a air bubble in your cooling system, or, as you say, an electrical fault. It's not common for either the temp sender or the gauge to go massively bad suddenly, if they go at all they just get less and less accurate as time goes on, more likely if it's an electrical is a bad ground or a short. The other possibility that presents itself to me would be a fan problem. I don't know what year yours is, but the thunderbirds did go to electric fans in 91ish, it's possible the fan is bad without making the telltale belt noises.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Not necessarily, water pumps can fail catastrophically, the fin wheel can become detached from the shaft, the fins themselves can disintegrate, the bearing can fail causing a partial or complete seizure of the shaft, or it could just be the belt going :)

For that I'd suspect either again, a water pump (I swear, that isn't my defacto answer for car problems!), a air bubble in your cooling system, or, as you say, an electrical fault. It's not common for either the temp sender or the gauge to go massively bad suddenly, if they go at all they just get less and less accurate as time goes on, more likely if it's an electrical is a bad ground or a short. The other possibility that presents itself to me would be a fan problem. I don't know what year yours is, but the thunderbirds did go to electric fans in 91ish, it's possible the fan is bad without making the telltale belt noises.
Haha you sure? It's not like my cars not shifting right and you're still going to go "water pump!"? Haha jk.
I actually don't mind if it is. I do have a decent amount of something out of the top of the block. Looked more like passenger side intake manifold, but I suppose it could've been the water pump. I thought intake manifold gasket for a bit but the oil is still black. Wasn't specifically looking for an issue with the pump so maybe overlooked.
Either way, I need a new serp belt anyways and it's only about a hour job it looks like. Only $40 for a new pump from JC Whitney as well.
Guess I'll just play parts roulette... Cheaper than running a pressure test..

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
So I told the HR lady at my current job (a private BLS 911/IFT company) that I'm leaving to go to a Fire Department EMT Ambulance Operator position. Their response was to offer me what's essentially a part time position there, working a shift a week.

It's tempting. Besides making the extra money, I'll be able to maintain my seniority and all that jazz. We did just get bought by Falck and brand new ambulances are supposed to be in service in a couple weeks.

The single biggest downside is the commute. Its 40 miles away, about 45 min on the freeway with no traffic, but when there is, it can be an hour and a half drive for half a buck over minimum wage.

So I'm tempted enough to consider it, but I don't know if I'll take it

FD might forbid it.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

I'd check the canooder valve first, failing that it's definitely the flux capacitor.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Anyone know anything about EMS at Lake Mead?

Looking into a job possibility, trying to get feedback.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
This cracked me up today..

tumblr_n28jwmUttq1rfw7flo1_400.gif

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha you sure? It's not like my cars not shifting right and you're still going to go "water pump!"? Haha jk.
I actually don't mind if it is. I do have a decent amount of something out of the top of the block. Looked more like passenger side intake manifold, but I suppose it could've been the water pump. I thought intake manifold gasket for a bit but the oil is still black. Wasn't specifically looking for an issue with the pump so maybe overlooked.
Either way, I need a new serp belt anyways and it's only about a hour job it looks like. Only $40 for a new pump from JC Whitney as well.
Guess I'll just play parts roulette... Cheaper than running a pressure test..

I'm pretty sure autozone rents out the pressure test tool.

Yeah, they do: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-External-Engine-Loaner-Rental-Tools/_/N-26vp Just go in, pay the full price and keep it as long as you want, when you return it, they give you all the money back :)