the 100% directionless thread

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes...yes...I did, in fact, give 4 mg of Versed to my patient, and no...that is not an "extremely high dose" you have "never heard of a field medic giving."

Thank you.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yes...yes...I did, in fact, give 4 mg of Versed to my patient, and no...that is not an "extremely high dose" you have "never heard of a field medic giving."

Thank you.

4mg? Lol my seizure PTs usually get 10. Haha

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Thank you.

Anyone who thinks that is an "extremely high dose" of versed doesn't know a lot about versed....

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Anyone who thinks that is an "extremely high dose" of versed doesn't know a lot about versed....

Doesn't fast's protocol call for like 0.3 mg/kg or something ridiculous like that?

I'll see if I can't get an answer from him.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387317424.056731.jpgi love our local liquor stores. Broken six packs.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Doesn't fast's protocol call for like 0.3 mg/kg or something ridiculous like that?

I'll see if I can't get an answer from him.

Ours for seizures is .01mg/kg up to 5mg IVP

.1mg/kg up to 10mg IM.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Active shooter at the Trauma Center....

Of course I'm on freaking disability.

What is this world coming to?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Renown Regional Medical Center

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Man shootings like this are just happening ever where now. I mean Reno has had a school shooting and hospital shooting with in a month or so. Its sad that these type of things keep happening and it's probably not going to get any better. Everyone Stay safe out there.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Man shootings like this are just happening ever where now. I mean Reno has had a school shooting and hospital shooting with in a month or so. Its sad that these type of things keep happening and it's probably not going to get any better. Everyone Stay safe out there.

Since I switched to days it's not quite is and but at night I dealt with violent crimes every single shift. I'd had shifts where all I'd get were stabbings, shootings and assaults. We go on tazings pretty regularly, I've been on two Officer involved shootings.

It's gotten much worse.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Since I switched to days it's not quite is and but at night I dealt with violent crimes every single shift. I'd had shifts where all I'd get were stabbings, shootings and assaults. We go on tazings pretty regularly, I've been on two Officer involved shootings.

It's gotten much worse.

Thats pretty crazy I didn't know you got so much shootings there. I knew there was a lot of violence.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Official report is the building is secure and the hospital is operating as normal.

Two deceased one of which is the shooter with a self inflicted GSW, a red and a yellow.

They haven't released much but it sounds like it was a very direct attack at a specific physician. Pretty sad.

Preliminary reports are the deceased victim is a female Physician.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
So you shouldn't give aspirin to patients with asthma because it can trigger a asthma attack? Is that right? If they are having chest pain and you suspect a MI not asthma can you still give it or no? I have read some books that say asthma is a contradication for aspirin and others that haven't mentioned it!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So you shouldn't give aspirin to patients with asthma because it can trigger a asthma attack? Is that right? If they are having chest pain and you suspect a MI not asthma can you still give it or no? I have read some books that say asthma is a contradication for aspirin and others that haven't mentioned it!

It's something like <5% of people with asthma have a sensitivity to aspirin. It's a risk vs reward scenario.

You can treat the broncoconstriction though...again, risk vs reward.

Consider this, aspirin is one of the few things we do that's proven to have a positive affect on morbidity and mortality.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
It's something like <5% of people with asthma have a sensitivity to aspirin. It's a risk vs reward scenario.

You can treat the broncoconstriction though...again, risk vs reward.

Consider this, aspirin is one of the few things we do that's proven to have a positive affect on morbidity and mortality.

Ok, thanks that makes more sense to me now. There's other things we can do, that I know. I was just confused about what I was reading and wanted some insight from people that have field experience. Thanks again.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Just ask if they've ever taken asa before. I'm sure they have. If they're not allergic to it then it's not really contraindicated is it?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just ask if they've ever taken asa before. I'm sure they have. If they're not allergic to it then it's not really contraindicated is it?

There's a small population of asthma patients who're hypersensitive to aspirin and it can invoke asthma symptoms ranging from mild to a full blown severe attack. Not a histamine-mediated reaction either.

But yes, you are correct, if they've taken it without issue before I'd give it, if they'd had mild issues with it I'd still give it, personally.

Last edited by a moderator: