the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Have I missed some recent Colorado Springs developments? Up in the Briarhood, we were pretty sheltered and didn't see a lot of meth.

No, not so much. The meth is not such a widespread problem anymore, but everyone still seems to think that the Springs is full of it and everyone's cooking it.

W took a call in Douglas county the other day with a 45 minute response time. Two meth-cookers and moonshine brewers got into a fight over who got their beat to crap mercury sedan stuck in a rut on a forest service road. Or something like that, the story was not very clear haha but it was apparent that meth is still alive and well in the front range.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
No, not so much. The meth is not such a widespread problem anymore, but everyone still seems to think that the Springs is full of it and everyone's cooking it.

W took a call in Douglas county the other day with a 45 minute response time. Two meth-cookers and moonshine brewers got into a fight over who got their beat to crap mercury sedan stuck in a rut on a forest service road. Or something like that, the story was not very clear haha but it was apparent that meth is still alive and well in the front range.

I certainly saw a lot of it in rural Larimer County. Ahh, it's a beautiful substance :rolleyes:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Ride along time (fly along time?) with both HEMS services in the area? Why yes, that does sound excellent!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ride along time (fly along time?) with both HEMS services in the area? Why yes, that does sound excellent!

I'm jealous as hell.

They don't do fly-alongs here. A-Stars don't have the space and with our average density altitude they're one of the few choppers that actually work well here :-/

Every now and again we can steal a ride from the hospital to the garage or visa versa, every now and again if they have a patient that is too heavy to fly they'll transport with our ground unit and one of the ground crew members gets to hop a ride home but those are few and far between. Usually we just end up giving the medic a ride while the nurse flies in with the patient.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
We actually fly with critical patients if the primary helicopter is used. The state trooper helicopter is primary on medical calls, and their medic doesn't carry RSI drugs or some other stuff that we do. If Lifenet comes to a scene call, they fly without us as they have medic and RN staffing.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We actually fly with critical patients if the primary helicopter is used. The state trooper helicopter is primary on medical calls, and their medic doesn't carry RSI drugs or some other stuff that we do. If Lifenet comes to a scene call, they fly without us as they have medic and RN staffing.

Why must you tempt me to apply if y'all ever open again!?

Sounds so awesome! Minus the living in Delaware part :p

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We're always hiring... :) your sled wouldn't get much use here though.

And if you want to apply just to fly, that's not really a good reason. We don't fly that often, and the DSP Bell 407 is just a loud, cramped ambulance. With no real room for interventions. We have do everything on the ground prior to loading because the monitor has to ride on your lap, and the Trooper Medic is squashed in next to you. The only time we will fly along is if we RSI a patient on the ground.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We're always hiring... :) your sled wouldn't get much use here though.

And if you want to apply just to fly, that's not really a good reason. We don't fly that often, and the DSP Bell 407 is just a loud, cramped ambulance. With no real room for interventions. We have do everything on the ground prior to loading because the monitor has to ride on your lap, and the Trooper Medic is squashed in next to you. The only time we will fly along is if we RSI a patient on the ground.

There's lots of other reasons I want to work there other than flying. Nice call volume, progressive/aggressive protocols with a high quality QA/I and continuing education departments, ability to stay current on high acuity/low occurrence skills (OR time), the schedule, tiered system, double medic, a defined promotional ladder, "extracurricular" gigs like HAZMAT and station based amongst many others.

I don't even know how many hours I've spent messing around on your employment page and website in general toying with the idea, but like you said, the sled wouldn't get much use and all my family is on the west coast or in the mid-west. :-/

I've got a long career ahead of me though, lots of time.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Agreed. I think we're the best kept secret in EMS. Although, I've been doing my part in spreading the word.

But, like everywhere, it's not perfect. After 2 years here, I think I've finally figured it out.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
There's lots of other reasons I want to work there other than flying. Nice call volume, progressive/aggressive protocols with a high quality QA/I and continuing education departments, ability to stay current on high acuity/low occurrence skills (OR time), the schedule, tiered system, double medic, a defined promotional ladder, "extracurricular" gigs like HAZMAT and station based amongst many others.

I don't even know how many hours I've spent messing around on your employment page and website in general toying with the idea, but like you said, the sled wouldn't get much use and all my family is on the west coast or in the mid-west. :-/

I've got a long career ahead of me though, lots of time.

Come to the dark side. We can use more young blood out here. Plus, as mentioned previously, DEMedic wants to earn a toaster.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Come to the dark side. We can use more young blood out here. Plus, as mentioned previously, DEMedic wants to earn a toaster.

Only if I get to use said toaster.

Either way I've got to hang out for another 6 months to a year to *hopefully* get my CCEMT-P partially paid for this fall. :D

Been making friends in our flight service too, don't have the required experience but should be close the next go around.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Im enjoying this 24-hour schedule. Just not my FTO. Just 17 more shifts to Final-Eval, and luckily, half of those are with a very old, very competent medic I worked with last week and trust.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Im enjoying this 24-hour schedule. Just not my FTO. Just 17 more shifts to Final-Eval, and luckily, half of those are with a very old, very competent medic I worked with last week and trust.

The partner maketh the shift.

Helped out another crew on a 39 y.o M VF arrest. VF shocked to asystole --> PEA, VF shocked again at 300j with sodium bic given as well as multiple adrenalines, got ROSC. Spontaneous breathing short time later, starting to bite / gag on the tube, sedated with fentanyl + Midazolam. 12 lead Anterior STEMI.

Hoping for a good news story but his down time with effective CPR and crew on scene within 2 mins was around 20 mins from arrest to rosc.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Helped out another crew on a 39 y.o M VF arrest. VF shocked to asystole --> PEA, VF shocked again at 300j with sodium bic given as well as multiple adrenalines, got ROSC. Spontaneous breathing short time later, starting to bite / gag on the tube, sedated with fentanyl + Midazolam. 12 lead Anterior STEMI.

Hoping for a good news story but his down time with effective CPR and crew on scene within 2 mins was around 20 mins from arrest to rosc.

Good work, sir. Good outcome or not, sounds like y'all gave the guy a great fighting chance.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

Well...it's possible. The guy from that AMR-Portland video had a down time of 20+ minutes and survived with no deficits.

Good job on the ROSC, hopefully he will recover.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I can't get into a dedicated 911 system soon enough. Over LDT dumps

I know that feeling. Nothing quite like showing up to your 12 hour shift to be handed a 6 hour one way transfer deep into Nebraska.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I know that feeling. Nothing quite like showing up to your 12 hour shift to be handed a 6 hour one way transfer deep into Nebraska.

I've got several people name dropping at bordering counties. Hopeful one comes through this week for a PT. If all goes well I'll slide into a FT spot just before I get my medic.