THC for the EMT ?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
A bit of a polarizing topic. Just a reminder to stay civil and respectful in this thread.

Don't make my put on my Moderator PPE so I won't get splattered when I swing the ban hammah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Redacted so DE doesn't have to bust out the PPE.

I take a pretty deep offense to he insinuation that anyone who drinks alcohol or uses/has used marijuana automatically will divert narcotics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Redacted so DE doesn't have to bust out the PPE.

I take a pretty deep offense to he insinuation that anyone who drinks alcohol or uses/has used marijuana automatically will divert narcotics.

Or that there's anything wrong with having a beer to relax. I can relax just fine without one, but it's a lo better with one. It's not like I have demons from work that follow me home after every shift, but it's work. It wears you down a little.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Just chiming in that I too like beer, although I have cut down drastically because my metabolism stopped processing carbs into energy after I turned 30 - everything goes directly to fat now.

I also support the legalization of THC/cannabis/marijuana both from a social perspective and a taxation one. I haven't used it myself in over 10 years, but I think decriminalization is the right move. I think the statistics and my own anecdotal experience suggests that occasional use is no worse than any other legal substance, and certainly not as habit-forming as nicotine or outright dangerous as alcohol.

I have certainly never considered using narcotics, either personally acquired or stolen from work.

PS - Here's an updated count of the number of people who have died from marijuana

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Enjoying a beer after work is worlds apart from needing one after work. Which is worlds apart from needing many after every shift.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Where in your initial post did you mention "need" to drink or "many" drinks?

From a psychological perspective, I don't think that anyone in EMS that takes any substance to "relax" after work (including alcohol) should have access to narcotics. When the situation gets bad enough, And the person has access, they might turn to a worse substance.

Choosing to have a drink or two to relax or for simple enjoyment doesn't really make a difference to me. You're right that it begins to present a problem if it is a psychological or physical necessity or if it begins to interfere with other parts of your life, but your first post didn't clarify that.

Don't get caught up in a slippery slope fallacy either. There is absolutely no link to the implication that if someone drinks recreationally they are more likely to divert narcotics.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Enjoying a beer after work is worlds apart from needing one after work. Which is worlds apart from needing many after every shift.

Apparently not by the standards of some in this thread.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I think I remember reading once that EMS is the worst profession for people who have no drug seeking behavior that suddenly become drug addicts. Ask any agency and most likely they've fired someone for something related to using company narcotics.

My view of society is that people should be able to do as they wish in the privacy of their home as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I don't think that this is the case for EMS. We have a duty to the public, and there shouldn't be an area where doubt is created. Using recreational drugs, or going home and drinking every night after work create doubt for the public, they create a problem if you are called back in to work during an emergency, and they show signs of psychological addiction.

Its not EMS, but healthcare as a whole there are tons of nurses, physicians and other healthcare providers have been shown to have addiction to narcotics. Its just reality.

If I am off duty and choose to drink a beer,, or go on a binge and make a pig of myself. That's my choice. If I am "called to return to duty" even in a emergency, Its my responsibility to state to my employer that I am under the influence of a substance that prohibits me from performing my daily job activities. They have 50 other employees they can call to help in a emergency that are closer to my place of employment. vs. me to drive 50 minutes.

Just chiming in that I too like beer, although I have cut down drastically because my metabolism stopped processing carbs into energy after I turned 30 - everything goes directly to fat now.

I also support the legalization of THC/cannabis/marijuana both from a social perspective and a taxation one. I haven't used it myself in over 10 years, but I think decriminalization is the right move. I think the statistics and my own anecdotal experience suggests that occasional use is no worse than any other legal substance, and certainly not as habit-forming as nicotine or outright dangerous as alcohol.

I have certainly never considered using narcotics, either personally acquired or stolen from work.

PS - Here's an updated count of the number of people who have died from marijuana

While it is true that no one has died directly from marijuana overdose, the indirect effects of people who are killed under the influence is what is not shown. We as a society cannot be responsible enough to avoid DUI's let alone DU Highs.

Rockies

Forum Crew Member
Well here in Colorado they leave it up to the individual departments. I have'nt heard of anyone pissing hot and keeping their jobs. Even if you have a medical card its still looked down upon.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Well here in Colorado they leave it up to the individual departments. I have'nt heard of anyone pissing hot and keeping their jobs. Even if you have a medical card its still looked down upon.

A medical card will not keep you employed at most Colorado agencies either...

It all comes down to insurance really.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And that pesky DEA license your MD has. Can't really have employees using a schedule 1 substance and give them access to narcotics. I'd think they'd frown on that.

I think even when it's legalized there will be plenty of agencies with no THC rules just like there are plenty of agencies with no nicotine rules. There's still going to be people that think that anyone that uses it responsibly in their free time are degenerates and addicts without taking any other variables into account.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I think I remember reading once that EMS is the worst profession for people who have no drug seeking behavior that suddenly become drug addicts

Citation please?:huh:

Arguing that a bad status quo has to be accepted is wrong in so many directions. ("The other kids all stay up to watch skin flicks, why can't I?").

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have no doubt we're up there on the list, along with most every acute care healthcare professional and public servant.

Hell I'm sure it's prevalent in providers outside of acute care. I couldn't imagine specializing in end of life care...I'm sure it's very rewarding but at the same time that would wear on me.