That's it... I'm done... no more 911 for me

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I just met with my chief, and gave him my resignation. I've been on vehicle with flashing red lights for almost 25 years now, in various capacities (paid and volunteer, full time and part time, ambulances and fire trucks, even a few stops in communications along the way), and it's no longer fun. Even if it's my job, I want to enjoy what I do, despite me doing it to earn money to pay the bills.

Don't get me wrong, I knew it's not always sunshine and rainbows, but several minor things happened at my current department that convinced me it was time to give it up. Some of them were cultural, some of them were operational changes, and some of the changes occurred within me. My department still has some awesome people, and a bad day on the engine is almost always better than a day in the office, but I'm getting older, working night shifts is getting harder, and I'm not in as good shape as I was in my 20s (My chief definitely smoked me on the last agility course, and he's retired).

I joined up with a local technical rescue organization, and the people there seem pretty cool, but, outside of a hurricane deployment, I think my time of responding to emergencies is over.

As for why I'm sharing this... I don't know... I guess it's so others know that it's ok to walk away. The department existed before me, and I am confident it will exist for decades to come, and I wish nothing but the best of luck for those who are still in it. It's been a lot of fun, but it's time for me to let the next generation pick up the slack.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
25 years is an amazing run, congrats on starting a new chapter!

I have a lot of respect for people who realize when it's time to move on.

What does retirement from part-time EMS look like?

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What does retirement from part-time EMS look like?
Honestly, I'm not sure, but I will be spending more time with the family. And enjoy watching my son grow up... and hopefully keep him out of trouble, a task much harder than it sounds.

I still have my full-time job in the private sector which pays the bills and gives me more grey hair every day (a common occurrence in my field), and, with my newly earned masters degree, I'm applying for part-time teaching jobs on the curriculum side of the house, as well as teaching the occasional IT course at the local community college.

Maybe even turn my garage into a full workshop/mancave, if I can ever clean it up and display much of my memorabilia that I have collected over the decades. who knows.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
I think I know how you feel. I told my boss of 32 years that the job was no longer fun. I retired from that service and moved to my hobby farm three years ago. I got another medic job at the local service that has an acute shortage of medics and EMTs. It's really different than my metro job. It's enjoyable, but not that fun. It's mostly long distance transfers.

I'll be 65 in in a few months. I'm having difficulty deciding if I should keep working or walk away. My biggest fear if I stop working is what will I do. Travel is limited due to owning horses. The summertime is not a worry for me it's the winter. Well, I still have some time to figure it out.

Yet, on the other hand it's very liberating to be able to control my destiny when it comes to work.