Thank you card?

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if any of you have sent out thank you cards after interviews? Would it be a good idea to do so?

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
It's considered standard practice for most corporate gigs. Make sure to ask the interviewer(s) for a business card before you leave.

When they ask you if you have any questions for them ask about their personal experience with the copy and the goals the have set in it for 5 years. Try to get them to say something personal. Ie they are a medic supervisor with ABC ambulance but are going to school to be a PA. You now have the opportunity to with them well in their studies.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Yes I think that sending a thank you card is a good idea regardless of your profession. If nothing else it puts your name in their head one more time.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I never have in EMS. did it once when I worked in corporate.

Then again, in the past 8 years, I have never walked out of an interview not knowing if I had the job or not. If they are giving me the job, than a thank you card isn't needed (since I already have the job).

If I am not getting the job, than I won't waste my time.

If I'm iffy on whether or not I will get hired, I might send a follow up email. If I'm applying for a position that has 100 applicants, and I have an interview with a decisionmaker (an individual who has sole discretion in whether or not I get hired or not), I might send a thank you to put me ahead of another applicant. a little brownnosing might tip the scales if my favor.

but more often than not, a follow up thank you will not have any effect on whether or not you get hired. in fact, I have never heard of any EMTs who were going to be hired but were not offered the job because they did not send a thank you card or follow up email after an interview.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If possible, send an email within 24 hours. I try to do so. Then again, I doubt a thank-you will get a middling candidate over the line. Similarly, I doubt a top candidate would not be hired for not sending one. Can't hurt, though.

OP
OP
stemi

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the idea about the email guys. Probably makes the most sense.

EMT1A

Forum Crew Member
I never have in EMS. did it once when I worked in corporate.

Then again, in the past 8 years, I have never walked out of an interview not knowing if I had the job or not. If they are giving me the job, than a thank you card isn't needed (since I already have the job).

If I am not getting the job, than I won't waste my time.

If I'm iffy on whether or not I will get hired, I might send a follow up email. If I'm applying for a position that has 100 applicants, and I have an interview with a decisionmaker (an individual who has sole discretion in whether or not I get hired or not), I might send a thank you to put me ahead of another applicant. a little brownnosing might tip the scales if my favor.

but more often than not, a follow up thank you will not have any effect on whether or not you get hired. in fact, I have never heard of any EMTs who were going to be hired but were not offered the job because they did not send a thank you card or follow up email after an interview.

same way I feel, for EMT's it seems like you either pass the interview and get hired or you don't pass and a thank you card/email won't make a difference

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
same way I feel, for EMT's it seems like you either pass the interview and get hired or you don't pass and a thank you card/email won't make a difference

I disagree. I have certainly Interviewed for positions, subsequently not gotten them, but been called back months later and offered the job. Interviewers remembered something about me, and the I venture the follow up email helped. Remember, EMS is a small world, and you will come across the same people time and time again. That company you burned in an interview can be important in a few years, when you need a job again.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
That low level sup that interviews you today? He might be the head of your department 2 years from now. A card might be a very cheap investment if it means he remembers you as being the only applicant in 10 years who took the time to send a card.

EMT1A

Forum Crew Member
I disagree. I have certainly Interviewed for positions, subsequently not gotten them, but been called back months later and offered the job. Interviewers remembered something about me, and the I venture the follow up email helped. Remember, EMS is a small world, and you will come across the same people time and time again. That company you burned in an interview can be important in a few years, when you need a job again.

What do you mean by burned? Were you reinterviewed and then offered the job?

To clarify, my point was that if you didn't even pass the scenario questions as an EMT, a followup card wouldn't hurt your chances of either getting hired or not.

A follow up card would definitely be a good way to help the interviewer rememer you if do decide to reapply.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
On the flip side I would say the same mind set works in reverse when leaving a company. EMS IS a small world and proper notice of resignation thanking the company and its supervision/management for the opportunity and experience (no one said it was good experience) can have lasting effects because that supervisor at crap company may be the manager at the next company you go applying to...

I also like to think that little expressions of gratitude and courtsey go a long way in a field that's filled with, IMO, with the opposite.