Tenn. firefighter-medic fends off pit bulls with spine board

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in Fort Smith the dogs would not be place in the animal shelter they would have been put down with a 12 gauge shotgun by the municipal enforcement constable or the dog control officer. The head I believe would be chopped off and sent for rabies testing.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in Fort Smith the dogs would not be place in the animal shelter they would have been put down with a 12 gauge shotgun by the municipal enforcement constable or the dog control officer. The head I believe would be chopped off and sent for rabies testing.

:blink:

..................they don't do anything halfway in Ft. Smith I guess..........

JPINFV

Gadfly
I strongly believe it be required that people be licensed to own, care for, sell, or breed pit bulls. They are incredibly dangerous and incredibly trendy among rapper wannabes.

Any dog could be trained to be dangerous.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief

I agree. It's not the breed but how the dog is raised. I've seen pit bulls who are really docile. I've also seen small dogs who were incredibly vicious, just depends on how the owner treats and trains the dogs.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/patient-handling/articles/852643-Tenn-firefighter-medic-fends-off-pit-bulls-with-spine-board/

I strongly believe it be required that people be licensed to own, care for, sell, or breed pit bulls. They are incredibly dangerous and incredibly trendy among rapper wannabes.

Tennessee recently passed a new law this month that states it is now a misdemeanor for a felon to own a dog deemed as viscious and furthermore, many counties here are enacting laws that do not allow Pitt Bulls in city limits. This is usually where I see problems in my career in EMS. We respond to a meth lab where an individual has specifically trained a dog to be viscious. If it was up to me, I'd carry a fire arm, shoot the dog, and not think twice, but it is not. I really have no tolerance for animals of any kind, but that is just me.

Criminal Offenses - As enacted, makes it a Class A misdemeanor offense
for a person who has been convicted of a violent felony to own, possess,
or have custody or control of a vicious dog or a potentially vicious dog.
- Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17 and Title 44, Chapter 8.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislation/publications/effective 07_01_10.pdf

terrible one

Always wandering

Welcome to stereo-types and a biased media

cristianb36

Forum Probie
I've had to fight them off in compton where they all seem to be dumped on the streets after they ceize to be cute at 2 yrs old

Foxbat

Forum Captain
See, spine boards do lower mortality and morbidity! :)
JPINV said:
But dogs of some breeds are more likely to be dangerous.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through 1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities." (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R. Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. JAVMA 2000;217:836-840.)

Other breeds were also responsible for homicides, but to a much lesser extent. A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) Since 1975, fatal attacks have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

Anyone got research proving otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
In my years as a medic, while encountering pit bulls, bulls, German Shepards, Rottweilers, Great Danes and you name it -- all the ones you worry about -- and under all sorts of potentially disastrous circumstances, NOT ONCE was I ever threatened in any way shape or form!

That does not include, however, Chi-hu-a-hu-as! You know they were Terriers interbred with rats for hairless Taco meat, don't you? Anyhow, no kidding, I'm talking attacked, like clamp them chompers into your ankles (Thank God for boots!) and literally having to smash them against the wall to loosen their grip. (According to all ASPCA guidelines, no harm befell the little basturds.)

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
In my years as a medic, while encountering pit bulls, bulls, German Shepards, Rottweilers, Great Danes and you name it -- all the ones you worry about -- and under all sorts of potentially disastrous circumstances, NOT ONCE was I ever threatened in any way shape or form!

That does not include, however, Chi-hu-a-hu-as! You know they were Terriers interbred with rats for hairless Taco meat, don't you? Anyhow, no kidding, I'm talking attacked, like clamp them chompers into your ankles (Thank God for boots!) and literally having to smash them against the wall to loosen their grip. (According to all ASPCA guidelines, no harm befell the little basturds.)

I agree my family had a chiuhuaua (as yell as being mean lite sob's hard to spell breed) and it was the most vicious little dog around unfortunately it was run over. My family owns a rottweiler/lab cross and he is the nicest wimpiest dog around (family wouldn't have him any other way).

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I won't argue that some research has shown pit bulls are responsible for more serious dog bites, but breed-specific bans are unethical and impractical. We should ban all guns before we start banning dogs because they kill and injure a lot more people... I know some people, of course, would be happy to see guns banned but I'm not one of them. The government can not eliminate everything that has the potential to harm us, and frankly I would appreciate if they stopped trying, especially when these things serve a good purpose and enrich our lives more often than they hurt people.

Out here in Denver and surrounding areas, our pit bull ban has greatly exacerbated the problem of shelter overcrowding, which leads to the euthanization of healthy, friendly animals - pit bull and otherwise. Since enacting the ban, there has been no difference in the number or severity of dog attacks in Denver compared to cities without such legislation.

Also, it's important to note that dog breeds are not as distinct as people might think. Since there is no definitive way to determine a dog's breed, the decision to confiscate and destroy people's beloved family pets is based on the subjective judgment of an animal control officer. Keep in mind "pit bull mixes" are also banned, so if someone decides your dog kinda looks like a pit bull, it can be taken from you and killed.

JPINFV

Gadfly
We should ban all guns before we start banning dogs because they kill and injure a lot more people...

The big problem is the second amendment, which has been officially declared to be an individual right.

8jimi8

CFRN
I won't argue that some research has shown pit bulls are responsible for more serious dog bites, but breed-specific bans are unethical and impractical. We should ban all guns before we start banning dogs because they kill and injure a lot more people... I know some people, of course, would be happy to see guns banned but I'm not one of them. The government can not eliminate everything that has the potential to harm us, and frankly I would appreciate if they stopped trying, especially when these things serve a good purpose and enrich our lives more often than they hurt people.

Out here in Denver and surrounding areas, our pit bull ban has greatly exacerbated the problem of shelter overcrowding, which leads to the euthanization of healthy, friendly animals - pit bull and otherwise. Since enacting the ban, there has been no difference in the number or severity of dog attacks in Denver compared to cities without such legislation.

Also, it's important to note that dog breeds are not as distinct as people might think. Since there is no definitive way to determine a dog's breed, the decision to confiscate and destroy people's beloved family pets is based on the subjective judgment of an animal control officer. Keep in mind "pit bull mixes" are also banned, so if someone decides your dog kinda looks like a pit bull, it can be taken from you and killed.

While i trust you as a source, you are employing a logical fallacy, until you post up some numbers and studies.

A pit bill is a friendly harmless family pet, until it isn't. Same with any dog. Pit bulls have a bad rap, but then again, they are always the worst controlled by their owners and one of the more aggressive breeds that I have witnessed while taking my dogs out.

Of all of the incidents that have nearly ended in physical altercations (where some jack@$$'s dog is attacking one of my dogs) it has always been an overly aggressive pit bull (count 4 times in my experience). Of course, i do go to the "free" dog park, so I guess it's my own fault for enjoying the water near the same place that all of the wannabee homeless people go.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
A pit bull isnt even a breed of dog, its a class that encompasses all "bully" breeds.

Most trained personell can not correctly identify an American Staffodshire Terrior.(What most people refer to as a pit bull)

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html Give it a shot!

Anything can be dangerous in the hands of an irresponsible owner.

And no I dont condone breed specific legislation, its like saying we should outlaw shotguns becuse the chance of killing you is greater then if you were shot with a .22. Its either all or nothing in my opinion.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry what I meant was when they use the word "pit bull" they usuall include multiple "bully" breeds. Not just the American Piit bull terrier.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
We should ban all guns before we start banning dogs because they kill and injure a lot more people...

And no I dont condone breed specific legislation, its like saying we should outlaw shotguns becuse the chance of killing you is greater then if you were shot with a .22. Its either all or nothing in my opinion.

The problem with the gun analogy is that guns don't act autonomously. If someone puts his gun in a safe, it will sit there inert. (If someone puts his dog in a safe, it will also eventually sit there inert, but that's neither here nor there.) The "assault weapons" ban, though a terrible piece of legislation, is a better comparison. The idea isn't to ban something solely on the grounds that it's dangerous, but that it's disproportionately more dangerous and no more necessary than other things that serve the same purpose.

I'm not sure about the appropriateness of breed-specific laws, but I'd like to see stronger arguments against them than the claim that there's something inherently wrong with banning certain categories of a thing or that it follows that banning one dangerous thing requires government to ban all things potentially more dangerous.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The idea isn't to ban something solely on the grounds that it's dangerous, but that it's disproportionately more dangerous and no more necessary than other things that serve the same purpose.

Unfortunately, the "Assault Weapons Ban" really banned guns that looked dangerous than actual assault weapons. What most people think of when the phrase "assault weapon" is thrown around is an object that was already banned in many states and highly regulated (the tax stamps aren't cheap) by the Federal Government. What the AWB did was ban things like bayonet lugs and pistol grips. A rifle can just as easily kill someone without either of those.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Unfortunately, the "Assault Weapons Ban" really banned guns that looked dangerous than actual assault weapons. What most people think of when the phrase "assault weapon" is thrown around is an object that was already banned in many states and highly regulated (the tax stamps aren't cheap) by the Federal Government. What the AWB did was ban things like bayonet lugs and pistol grips. A rifle can just as easily kill someone without either of those.

Yeah, I know. I was thinking more intent than effect, though perhaps it's an apt metaphor for breed bans either way.