Telling the Boss That I'm Joining a Second Company?

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, just needed some help in regards to an issue I have. For the past several months, I have wanted to join a second squad (don't judge or anything), but there's just one problem: I'm afraid to tell my boss! There is absolutely no rule against being on multiple squads (in fact, about 35 of our 70 members are on a second squad, that being a small town one right next to us) but the one that I'm applying to is a little bit farther away. My boss does not like this squad due to an issue a few years back. Now I'm afraid of what he'll say when I tell him I want to join. Any tips on what to say/do? Thanks.

OP
OP
spnjsquad

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
Are you a volunteer? Are either of these paid positions?
They are both volunteer. Don't judge haha I'm just looking for what to say to make this as easy as possible.

OP
OP
spnjsquad

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
"Hey Boss. I'm going to run with XYZ squad, too".

Done. What's he gonna do, fire you? Volunteers are hard enough to retain.
Yeah you do have a point. Thanks for the input

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Have an adult conversation with him and tell him that you are joining another service to gain more experience, therefore benefiting your current place with no effort on their part.

This is something that you may have to get used to if you continue to pursue EMS. Most employers want to be informed of your other places of employ, especially if they are nearby and there is a potential conflict of interest.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
why even bother telling him? is it any of his business? especially since there aren't any rules against it......

as long as you are able to maintain you requirements for both squads, neither should have any influence about what you do in your free time.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
As a courtesy, inform your boss. He will hear about it eventually and better he hears it from you. Doesn't matter it's volunteer as others have said.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I agree that you should be honest and tell him, however, the key is being honest. Also, be sure to be meeting the commitment at both squads. If you can not, then do not do both, its not fair to either. Worst case scenario, he tells you not allowed and kicks you out. What do you loose? Its not a paid position and have another to fall onto.