Technical question on trauma and med assessments (skills testing today, help!)

WOW , JUST WOW lol

i am pretty sure that comes along with .. ohh gosh .. i dont know ... the very first thing -- scene size up! lol

And the diabetic shock, oh it was great ! Me and my teacher always take the most cocky ( who have absolutely no room to be) most immature group and use this scenario to "wake them up" because people think, they dont have to pay attention in class? Crazyness !

i am pretty sure that comes along with .. ohh gosh .. i dont know ... the very first thing -- scene size up! lol

And the diabetic shock, oh it was great ! Me and my teacher always take the most cocky ( who have absolutely no room to be) most immature group and use this scenario to "wake them up" because people think, they dont have to pay attention in class? Crazyness !

I sort of wish you had done that to some of the groups in my class...

pass along the idea to your teacher, Im sure it will work.

The one thing that bothers me most is not the lack of respect to me or the others, its the thought that , they just dont get it. They will be in charge of someones life, and as my teacher said. you do it in practice, you do it in the feild.

Only thing I'm going to add for now is OPQRSTI

I- Interventions

Very important to ask your patients if they have taken anything for their condition and of course assessing whether or not it has hurt or helped them.

Great example being chest pain. Pt. stating they took a full adult aspirin at the onset, then that's one thing you can knock off your list of things to do. (Make sure you see the bottle, old people don't always know that IBU and APAP are not the same as ASA ;) )

Only thing I'm going to add for now is OPQRSTI

I- Interventions

Very important to ask your patients if they have taken anything for their condition and of course assessing whether or not it has hurt or helped them.

Great example being chest pain. Pt. stating they took a full adult aspirin at the onset, then that's one thing you can knock off your list of things to do. (Make sure you see the bottle, old people don't always know that IBU and APAP are not the same as ASA ;) )

Interventions is covered under "P". The"P" stands for provocation and palliation.

Interventions is covered under "P". The"P" stands for provocation and palliation.

My understanding had been that P referred to physical means like position, pressure, etc. And that I referred more to pharmacological interventions, at least that was how I learned it. If it was taught different where you went, feel free to ignore my post ^_^ Just trying to help out.

My understanding had been that P referred to physical means like position, pressure, etc. And that I referred more to pharmacological interventions, at least that was how I learned it. If it was taught different where you went, feel free to ignore my post ^_^ Just trying to help out.

Never heard that before... Always was told it referred to "provocation" as in "what makes it worse?"

Also, was taught that interventions were covered under T for "treatment". Have also heard T used for "time", but I thought it was easier to group "time" and "cause" under Onset.

P is for Provocation/palliation. Provocation. :)

Never heard that before... Always was told it referred to "provocation" as in "what makes it worse?"

Also, was taught that interventions were covered under T for "treatment". Have also heard T used for "time", but I thought it was easier to group "time" and "cause" under Onset.

I'll clarify what I was trying to say. Yes, P stands for provocation/palliation (worse or better respectively). When I was in school it had seemed to refer to more physical means of making it better like position, pressure, etc. I- Interventions, was added to emphasize the importance for asking about pharmacological interventions that the patient may have done.

This was the way I had learned. I'm just trying to give a different perspective. If it's confusing please feel free to ignore :)

I agree with countryemt-bgurl. Just remember to perform the scence size up and PPE frst, and then the ABC's. After those steps, assess based on MOI. DCAP-BTLS is used for trauma pts, and OPQRST is used for medical pts; on the med pt perform OPQRST while within SAMPLE, and on the trauma still do a SAMPLE if you can.

Whatever you do just remember to take a deep breath and try to relax. Don't let the proctor make you too nervous and you will do fine.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back