Tattoos with Bowers/Pacific?

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

I tried searching the forums and read some previous posts about general info on tattoos/piercings for EMTs but was curious to know if anyone has information regarding them being hired or not hired or just any general information as to Bowers/Pacific Ambulance's tattoo policy? I stopped getting tattoos last year but have a lot of them, about 14 to be exact. Most of them I can cover up but I have a quarter sleeve on my right arm, a small wrist tattoo on my right side, a hand tattoo that cover the entire backside of my left hand and a super tiny one on the right side of my neck that's almost directly under my ear (my long hair usually covers it). Like I mentioned, most of my other ones are all easily covered with shirts, blouses, etc. but I have an interview with Bowers/Pacific on THIS Tuesday, November 22nd and was curious to know if anyone knew some tidbits to share with me on this area so I can maybe try to prepare?

Thanks in advance!

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Specifically, I do not know of their policies, however you're going to have a few issues that I can forsee (note: I have no tatoos, but these are observations).

1. Hair/Neck tattoo... most EMS companies want you to look professional. that being said, Hair must be pulled back. If you have a tattoo on your neck, it may be hard to cover unless your collar from your uniform covers it. My company has a no facial hair policy for men, and I do miss my goatee.

2. Back of hand - they may be "ok" with it but fortunately your nitrile gloves will probably cover it.... but who wants to wear those 24/7

3. Sleeve - easy to cover, condiser wearing a long sleeve shirt or purchasing the cover up tattoo sleeves.

Good Luck!

terrible one

Always wandering
Back of hand and neck tatoos are career enders with a lot of Fire/EMS departments.
Good luck

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
All tattoos must be covered and all jewelry removed. You'll be stuck wearing long sleeve uniforms all the time.

Your hand tattoo may be the biggest obstacle.

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
blastereosloud

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the replies guys, my other friend who is a CCT nurse with them just got back to me about it today and said the same thing you did Mufasa. How unfortunate that tattoos are still looked at with such a stigma. I get part of why it is the way it is, but with how far we've come from how tattoo work was originally looked upon as, you'd think long sleeves and "deal breakers" would be a thing of the past at this point. I guess it still depends on where you go. I used to live in Whittier, and it's still an area I frequent very often. If you've ever seen their police department, it's a joke how they look. Almost ALL of them are firstly, younger than me, and secondly, sleeved up, tatted up and well, you get the picture. And these are cops! I went to visit my cousin at his station to pick his brain about some fire service related stuff and ended up hanging out all day with him and his crew. He works for LA County fire down at one of the Malibu stations and they told me at least with County, my tattoos, even my hand and neck one shouldn't be a big deal. I believe, as hopefully many others that do the hiring, make the decisions, etc, are starting to see that a persons tattoos don't dictate how well they do their job. I can understand if I had a giant swastika or decapitated baby inked up on my forehead how one might say that's on the unprofessional side, but in my opinion, it should all be looked at on a case by case basis. Oh well. Interview is tomorrow and I'm gonna go finish preparing. I'm sort of not as nervous anymore because I feel like I don't care as much since I almost feel like I'm certain that I'm not going to get the job because of my hand. -_-

JPINFV

Gadfly
I love these threads. It's not like companies up and decided that tattoos don't present the image they want to present yesterday.

OP
OP
blastereosloud

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
It could be because it's late and I'm getting deliriously sleepy but would you mind elaborating a bit more on what you meant on your reply, JPINFV?

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
I've seen some very interesting tats and piercings on lots of crews here in SA.
Granted, they are covered as best as possible, but it's still there and you can see it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sure. The fact that visible tattoos are still not widely viewed as presenting a professional appearance is neither new nor a secret. It's been like that for a very long time, and most likely will be like that for a very long time, just like long hair on most guys, unnatural hair colors, and a myriad of other things. If I grew my hair out, dyed it bright pink, and showed up in a professional looking skirt to an interview, I highly doubt I'd even get past the secretary because long hair and skirts on guys, as well as pink hair on anyone, is not considered professional.

However, no one apparently thinks about the issue of presenting a professional image when they decide to get a tattoo (which unlike hair length, colors, or clothing, is harder to impossible to get rid of) in a place that is either impossible or uncomfortable to cover up. Additionally, when people get tattoos in places that are impossible or extremely uncomfortable to cover up and the consequences of that choice rears its head, the company looking to present a professional image is what is blamed instead of the person who choose to modify his or her body in a fashion that doesn't present what is widely and commonly considered to be professional.

OP
OP
blastereosloud

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
JPINFV, you have probably heard many people say this, and granted a good percentage of the ones who have in fact said this are full of crap, I can honestly say that a lot of individuals (including myself) went through with my tattoo work, etc. very much aware of the potential consequences with regard to career. In fact, I got the tattoo I have on my hand while I was going through my core fire tech classes after going through UCLA's EMT program. Throughout that time and even before I had asked many people both involved in the industry and who hire for other types of companies, just what their two cents were. I came to the conclusion that I was not going to allow myself to censor my expression just because the whole view of tattoo art in the workplace has not yet reached a more pleasant standing point. Like I said, I can understand that there are certain reservations about it, depending on the person and their choice of work, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker for any company anymore. As I also mentioned before, a persons tattoo or even choice of hair color should not dictate what sort of employee they are. My previous job was doing marketing for a beauty school for 5 years, granted the industry itself is one all for the whole self-expression ideal, the CEO, CFO and all the other big guns that I had to work under the same roof with, were more old school, but still saw me walking around the office as the marketing chick with the red streaked hair and tattoos and never thought any less of me. I can respect and appreciate your point JPINFV, but I still heavily disagree with where we stand overall with tattoo acceptance in the workplace today.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
That's great...it still doesn't change the fact that you have now made yourself difficult to employee in your chosen line of work. Researching it, then saying "screw it, I'm going to express myself" also shows a lack of judgement in my view. Not a good way to garner sympathy.

phideux

Forum Captain
That's great...it still doesn't change the fact that you have now made yourself difficult to employee in your chosen line of work. Researching it, then saying "screw it, I'm going to express myself" also shows a lack of judgement in my view. Not a good way to garner sympathy.

So true.

Where I am you can have visible tattoos on the arms, as long as they cover less than 25% of the exposed skin, and are not discriminatory/distasteful. Over the 25% mark, you are destined for full time long sleeves. No tattoos over the collar, and you can't wear your hair down to cover it. No tats on the hands.

OP
OP
blastereosloud

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
I never said that it wouldn't make me hard to employee, nor did I not realize that when I got my tattoos. Lack of judgement? Not really. I just told you, twice now I knew when I got every single one of my tattoos what potential future repercussions could occur, just because I decided to still get them done doesn't show lack of judgement. I made a decision, and went ahead with it. Please explain to me how you still consider that a lack of judgement on my part? Just because I refuse to shelter my means of expression for a potential employer? You and me may make different kinds of decisions in our lives, that does not in anyway shape or form however show a lack of judgement on my part.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
JPINFV, you have probably heard many people say this, and granted a good percentage of the ones who have in fact said this are full of crap, I can honestly say that a lot of individuals (including myself) went through with my tattoo work, etc. very much aware of the potential consequences with regard to career. In fact, I got the tattoo I have on my hand while I was going through my core fire tech classes after going through UCLA's EMT program. Throughout that time and even before I had asked many people both involved in the industry and who hire for other types of companies, just what their two cents were. I came to the conclusion that I was not going to allow myself to censor my expression just because the whole view of tattoo art in the workplace has not yet reached a more pleasant standing point. Like I said, I can understand that there are certain reservations about it, depending on the person and their choice of work, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker for any company anymore. As I also mentioned before, a persons tattoo or even choice of hair color should not dictate what sort of employee they are. My previous job was doing marketing for a beauty school for 5 years, granted the industry itself is one all for the whole self-expression ideal, the CEO, CFO and all the other big guns that I had to work under the same roof with, were more old school, but still saw me walking around the office as the marketing chick with the red streaked hair and tattoos and never thought any less of me. I can respect and appreciate your point JPINFV, but I still heavily disagree with where we stand overall with tattoo acceptance in the workplace today.

They are accepted by our generation, in EMS we deal with the older generation a fair amount who don't accept it. That's why I think most companies don't like them.

I have tattoos, mine are hidden in pants and a t-shirt. No shorts for special events though but that's fine with me they are goofy looking shorts anyways.

jkrewko

Forum Crew Member
I have sleeves and knuckle tattoos. Wear the long sleeves. it's annoying but thats the price you pay. definitely blows in the summer

JPINFV

Gadfly
They are accepted by our generation, in EMS we deal with the older generation a fair amount who don't accept it.

I'm not even sure I'd go that far to be honest. They might be more accepted, but even now I imagine that the people who are making hiring decisions would consider neck, hand, or sleeve tattoos as a negative, just not an automatic disqualification.

OP
OP
blastereosloud

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
Well I'm happy to report that today I had my interview with Bowers Ambulance and was offered a job with them. As a relative note, the tattoos did come up, Randy and Karen said they didn't care, they don't mind them at all, obviously yes, it's more the patients we serve that mind them. Cool thing is I don't have to wear the long sleeve uniform if I don't want, I can just wear an under armor long sleeve which is supposed to be a lot more comfortable. As for the hand tattoo, Randy said there's not much we can do about that….and they still hired me.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
not to go off thread here, but whats with the no facial hair policies in place? I did an N95 Respitator test at the hospital with a goatee and I passed no problem.... so if it was neatly upkept in EMS, why the problem?

OP
OP
blastereosloud

blastereosloud

Forum Crew Member
not to go off thread here, but whats with the no facial hair policies in place? I did an N95 Respitator test at the hospital with a goatee and I passed no problem.... so if it was neatly upkept in EMS, why the problem?

I'm assuming the same problem with tattoos, it's looked at as being associated with unprofessionals apparently :cool:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm assuming the same problem with tattoos, it's looked at as being associated with unprofessionals apparently :cool:

But moustaches are allowed.. whats up with that?...I'd look like a creeper if that was the case