Sussex County EMS

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Because we're not constrained by the "if it's a paramedic, it's a firefighter" mentality. ;)

And Sussex county isn't really "east coast"... I'd say it's more like Arkansas... With a beach. :) Delawareians sure do love their NASCAR and other redneck activities. ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Because we're not constrained by the "if it's a paramedic, it's a firefighter" mentality. ;)

And Sussex county isn't really "east coast"... I'd say it's more like Arkansas... With a beach. :) Delawareians sure do love their NASCAR and other redneck activities. ;)

Fair enough. Hey I'm from Nevada, redneck is in my blood haha. Well where I'm from it's more skier redneck.

The system I'm in separates EMS and Fire. We are a private but we run more like a public utility model system.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Haha. Yeah. Reminds me of when I lived in Arkansas. You can get fried bologna sandwiches and grits for breakfast. Along with scrapple. We eat a lot of pig stuff and fried chicken here. The accent is redneck, with an eastern shore twang. Takes some getting used to. Coming here from the west coast was a bit of culture shock.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
From talking to you briefly about it it sounds like a system that I would love to work in. But I'm not a huge of the east coast....Why are all the good services out there and not on the Left Coast?

Don't forget about the middle coast, Texas is home to some of the Nations best EMS services.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Don't forget about the middle coast, Texas is home to some of the Nations best EMS services.

Very true. Texas is a place I have considered as a possible option if I get tired of here. My problem is I love this area, you can't get a better setup IMO :) Beautiful lake, beautiful mountains, a fun city, lots of outdoors activities.

n7 I was checking out your protocols, they seem to allow for a decent amount of autonomy which is awesome.

You have a couple more "toys" than we do, CPAP and RSI being the main two I noticed.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Very true. Texas is a place I have considered as a possible option if I get tired of here. My problem is I love this area, you can't get a better setup IMO :) Beautiful lake, beautiful mountains, a fun city, lots of outdoors activities.

n7 I was checking out your protocols, they seem to allow for a decent amount of autonomy which is awesome.

You have a couple more "toys" than we do, CPAP and RSI being the main two I noticed.

We got that too :(

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Before coming to Sussex, I was looking at Texas. (and Reno) and some big deal breakers were SSM, no clear promotional ladder, no county pension, interfacility transports...

Cypress Creek and Harris County sounded good to me, as did Austin/Travis...

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Before coming to Sussex, I was looking at Texas. (and Reno) and some big deal breakers were SSM, no clear promotional ladder, no county pension, interfacility transports...

Cypress Creek and Harris County sounded good to me, as did Austin/Travis...

All of our County and city services have promotional ladders. Field Medic, Lt. Capt. Commander, etc etc.....

Private services, not so much.

But you can't beat the pay and retirement Texas EMS has to offer....... Sorry thread jacker :(

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Well, the pay and pension here are pretty decent. High end of Paramedic I, our lowest rank for medic, with ZERO promotion and no OT, is around 55k, most make musch more and most easily promote to P2 in a few years, with P3 a few years after that. Plus there is a 25 year non contributory pension and pretty decent health benefits.

And add in no SSM, no IFT, bike medic and HazMed team, lots of OT and event work, our extensive con ed and the rest of the goodies that come with this job made it a no brainer for me... But again, everyone is different and wants different things.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, the pay and pension here are pretty decent. High end of Paramedic I, our lowest rank for medic, with ZERO promotion and no OT, is around 55k, most make musch more and most easily promote to P2 in a few years, with P3 a few years after that. Plus there is a 25 year non contributory pension and pretty decent health benefits.

And add in no SSM, no IFT, bike medic and HazMed team, lots of OT and event work, our extensive con ed and the rest of the goodies that come with this job made it a no brainer for me... But again, everyone is different and wants different things.

We start 54k, have all the teams tactical, hazmat, etc...... County retirement but we have to contribute 7%.

Do ya'll get paid more than new castle?

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Yeah, when you figure in what they pay for benefits and their retirement. Plus they work 10 hour says and 14 hour nights, with no bunks. :( Not for me.