Summer EMT Training

PhillySam

Forum Ride Along
Hello guys,

I have a question somewhat regarding accelerated EMT courses, so I know that many of you will respond saying that I should instead take a longer EMT-B training course and I respect that.

My situation is that I want to become EMT-B certified in the earlier half of the summer (I am an undergraduate student) and then spend the remainder of the summer doing volunteer EMT work while I am taking a college class. For this reason (I basically have to take the college course and can't move that) I really want to get certified between mid-May and early-July. Therefore I have been looking for a 3 or 4-week long EMT-B training program with a little success but haven't quite found the right one yet. I have found many "accelerated" courses taught in 14 days and have read pretty extensively about how that is not usually enough time to really learn, but as I have a 4 week span with which to devote all of my time to an EMT course, I'd rather learn from a 4 week program than a 2 week one (note that I am a strong pre-med student with a lot of lifeguarding and CPR-instructing experience but no other EMS training). Do any of you know of any condensed program taking 14-28 days that you would recommend? I live on the east coast but am open to any program. Please let me know.

And please note that I am not just getting the training because I am pre-med to stick it on my resume. I am hoping to enter EMS service voluntarily this summer and hopefully for the next few years in order to understand the industry and discover if I like the work. I am hoping to eventually do work in public health that might utilize EMS skills.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hello guys,

I have a question somewhat regarding accelerated EMT courses, so I know that many of you will respond saying that I should instead take a longer EMT-B training course and I respect that.

My situation is that I want to become EMT-B certified in the earlier half of the summer (I am an undergraduate student) and then spend the remainder of the summer doing volunteer EMT work while I am taking a college class. For this reason (I basically have to take the college course and can't move that) I really want to get certified between mid-May and early-July. Therefore I have been looking for a 3 or 4-week long EMT-B training program with a little success but haven't quite found the right one yet. I have found many "accelerated" courses taught in 14 days and have read pretty extensively about how that is not usually enough time to really learn, but as I have a 4 week span with which to devote all of my time to an EMT course, I'd rather learn from a 4 week program than a 2 week one (note that I am a strong pre-med student with a lot of lifeguarding and CPR-instructing experience but no other EMS training). Do any of you know of any condensed program taking 14-28 days that you would recommend? I live on the east coast but am open to any program. Please let me know.

And please note that I am not just getting the training because I am pre-med to stick it on my resume. I am hoping to enter EMS service voluntarily this summer and hopefully for the next few years in order to understand the industry and discover if I like the work. I am hoping to eventually do work in public health that might utilize EMS skills.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

The real learning will happen after class on the trucks. If you do well in sciences and have a firm grasp of anatomy and physiology, you will have no issues at all. Your lifeguard training will also come in handy for the practical component.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I have not seen an accelerated class for emtb at MDC. I am taking the regular 16 week course once done with FR

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Hello guys,

I have a question somewhat regarding accelerated EMT courses, so I know that many of you will respond saying that I should instead take a longer EMT-B training course and I respect that..

Just do the 2 week bootcamp.

I have found many "accelerated" courses taught in 14 days and have read pretty extensively about how that is not usually enough time to really learn

That advice is often directed at people with no background at all. Between your premed studies and your certification as a life guard, 2 weeks should be more than adequete. if you are in your 2nd or higher pre med year, you will probably find it way over simplified and boring compared to what you have already learned.

(note that I am a strong pre-med student with a lot of lifeguarding and CPR-instructing experience but no other EMS training).

Between the CPR and the spineboarding taught in most lifeguard programs (Most lifeguards I have seen are more fanatical about spineboards than any EMS provider) more than 25% of EMT class you have already done.

I suspect you are over estimating what is taught in EMT class.

And please note that I am not just getting the training because I am pre-med to stick it on my resume. I am hoping to enter EMS service voluntarily this summer and hopefully for the next few years in order to understand the industry and discover if I like the work. I am hoping to eventually do work in public health that might utilize EMS skills. .

Personally, I don't care why you take EMT class.

If you are planning to work in public health, with the exception of discovering and observing what populations would benefit and how from preventative measures, EMS isn't going to offer you all that much. An urban studies or a biological anthropology course will probably do better.

About the only skills valuable at the EMT-B level for public health is taking blood pressures, glucometer readings, and lung sounds.

Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PhillySam

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, this is all good advice. Is there a 2 week accelerated program that any of you would recommend then?

St George

Forum Probie
Hi Philly. Im looking at doing a 10 day course with a company called Percom or a 7 day course with a company called EMTfiretraining.com Both look pretty comprehensive!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi Philly. Im looking at doing a 10 day course with a company called Percom or a 7 day course with a company called EMTfiretraining.com Both look pretty comprehensive!

Don't you have to go to Texas to do you signoffs and practicals ?

OP
OP
P

PhillySam

Forum Ride Along
In that case, does anyone know of any east coast accelerated programs (2 week or otherwisw) that might run between mid-may and early july?

DHFD402

Forum Ride Along
If you do not have any experience in the medical field, more importantly in the pre-hospital care, you should definitely not attempt to cram everything into 3 or 4 weeks. I am also in undergrad and have been an EMT-B for 3 years. I can understand your situation of trying to get your EMT asap, but learning ANYTHING, in three weeks, especially EMT, would never stick. Take your time with the class and enjoy it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you do not have any experience in the medical field, more importantly in the pre-hospital care, you should definitely not attempt to cram everything into 3 or 4 weeks. I am also in undergrad and have been an EMT-B for 3 years. I can understand your situation of trying to get your EMT asap, but learning ANYTHING, in three weeks, especially EMT, would never stick. Take your time with the class and enjoy it.

I took a standard 4 month 1 class a week plus a couple Saturdays EMT course. The biggest issue I had was trying not to fall asleep during it. If a 2 week program was available, met my schedule, and wasn't insanely expensive (my program was $120 including books, most of the accelerated programs are North of $500), it would have been a much better experience.

DPM

Forum Captain
^ what he said. EMT-B isn't hard. If you're already a life guard an CPR trained (and not an idiot) then 2 weeks is plenty of time.

Can't help with locations I'm afraid.