Suggestions for Female EMT

sunbee

Forum Probie
Hi All,

I'm a new EMT working in LA county but I still find it difficult lifting heavy patients. What can I do to improve my lifting techniques without getting bulky muscles? Thank you very much :)

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
define heavy? I don't mean to sound insensitive but the course of action taken depends on the answer.

There is a point where doing a certain amount small reps of weights of high load would increase strength but not make the muscle as bulky as exercises with bigger reps however I would not recommend you do this until you seek advice form a Personal trainer or Gym instructor as the potential for injury is high from improper technique.

Any EMT, male/female, short/tall, bulky/lean shouldn't pick up a heavy patient unless you have the numbers to safely conduct the lift but you probably need to call in external support, (maybe bystanders but usually FD or PD). Remeber if you feel or think you can't do it, don't do it, you always come first.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Workout. Your not going to be the governor overnight.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I caved and bought myself some bulky muscles.

In all seriousness, the only way you can get better at lifting is to use good lifting technique and to strength train. You wont become a body builder from a little strength training.

I am strong, I can lift my fair share of patients, and my arms and legs are nice and shapely with some muscle tone and not "bulky" at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
the best way is to use a safe and proper lifting technique. Keep your back straight.. lift with your legs, not your back ...and keep the load close to you!

You will be amazed how much easier it is to lift a load when you do it right.

When you work out, focus on legs, and make sure you work your back out well too... for those rare times when you will be thrown off balance while lifting, it will help prevent the back from becoming injured or strained.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Workout. Your not going to be the governor overnight.

Exactly

Most women just don't have the natural capacity to develop muscle like men do. If anything, you will slim down by doing some weight strengthening/training. Don't neglect your core muscles!

pdibsie

Forum Probie
Lifting and moving patients is a part of EMS. You owe it to the people you work with, as well as your patients, to be able to lift and move your fair share. Granted you're not expected to be able to move 300 lb. patients on your own, but an average size adult should be able to be moved with two people.

'Bulking up' is a fear that so many people have with strength training, but the fact is it's difficult to put on serious mass for people that put everything towards it. There are tons of websites that can help with strength training, and there are many good trainers that can help increase strength.

Hope this post didn't come across as insensitive. It's just that lifting and moving patients is another part of EMS, and to be the best care provider you can be you should be able to safely and effectively do your job.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

SnowMedic

Forum Probie
Hello there,

As a fellow female lifter who lifts hard and heavy at the gym 5X a week, I can assure you that you would have to be a freak of nature to "bulk up" by lifting heavy. Just do it and you'll thank yourself in the end :)

www.oxygenmag.net is awesome for female fitness too. Cheers,

SM

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Hello there,

As a fellow female lifter who lifts hard and heavy at the gym 5X a week, I can assure you that you would have to be a freak of nature to "bulk up" by lifting heavy. Just do it and you'll thank yourself in the end :)

www.oxygenmag.net is awesome for female fitness too. Cheers,

SM

Yeah, if it were that easy I'd be 350 ripped and hold the world record in the clean & jerk, deadlift, etc.