Suctioning

dang88

Forum Ride Along
Hello all, I'm studying for the nremt b and I recognize a difference in the nhtsa and my new brady book. The nhtsa states to suction for no longer than 15 seconds on an adult and my book says no longer than 10 seconds. For nremt testing purposes which one should I go with?

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello all, I'm studying for the nremt b and I recognize a difference in the nhtsa and my new brady book. The nhtsa states to suction for no longer than 15 seconds on an adult and my book says no longer than 10 seconds. For nremt testing purposes which one should I go with?

To the best of my knowledge it is still 15 secs. I haven't heard of anything different and that's what I was tested on.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I always learned 15 seconds for adults, 10 seconds for children, and 5 seconds for infants.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I always learned 15 seconds for adults, 10 seconds for children, and 5 seconds for infants.

Exactly what I've learned. As well, only suctioning on the way out. Insert, then activate suction, sweep out side to side and out over X seconds as stated above.

That said, I've never seen this done in person :p The nurses tend to just... suction.

BrooklynBarnes

Forum Ride Along
I heard 15 seconds...or in real life my instructor told us to hold our breath and when we feel like we need air, thats when our patient needs air (meaning stop suctioning)

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant

I'm glad you noticed this difference, as I take my test in a couple of months. Getting a list of the discrepancies is quite helpful.

Thanks,
M.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
My instructors gave us ranges:
Adults: 10-15 sec
Children: 5-10 sec
Infants: < 5 sec

General NREMT number is no longer than 15 seconds for adults, but apparently they sometimes have ranges in the answer choices to try to throw you off.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
10 to 15 seconds is fine for thin secretions. It's a different story when you're hoovering pizza/beer/blood/salt water or whatever else may be flowing out like a nasty river.

On the NREMT skill sheet, the critical fail is "suctioning for a excessive or prolonged period of time". If you verbalize "I would suction secretions between 10 and 15 seconds until the oropharynx is clear" you'll be fine in the practical.