Suction Units (no hole)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
A few days ago I had to use the suction unit, both portable and in-unit. On both units I was looking for the little hole on the suction catheter, but couldn't find it. I was going crazy looking for it. I was then informed by my partner that rigid suction catheters (Yankauer Tips) no longer had holes in them.

When I was in EMS I was always taught that you only suction on the way out, and for no longer than 15 seconds. It was even on my national registry test. While I only suctiones for a few seconds max, I'm still not sure how I could only suction on the way out.

Thanks as always :)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I haven't heard of that (no holes)... could you control the suction on/off with the machine itself?

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
try bending the tubing as you inser, like a water hose, then releasing it when your ready for suction.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by croaker260@Aug 18 2004, 10:03 PM
try bending the tubing as you inser, like a water hose, then releasing it when your ready for suction.
Interesting.

The suction, as I've always known, is controlled by the knob on the machine. We can turn it on, and change the suction level. I'm sure there is an official name for the level, but I'm not sure. PSI?

I'm wondering if the "suction on the way out" is one of those non-practical in-class things only. Now that I think of it, I've never seen someone take care to only suction on the way out.

Interesting.

Out units have built in suctions, and we carry portable electric suctions. We also carry two hand-operated units with several refills.

I learn something new every day.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Suction on the way out is very important! If you have the suction power on while you're headed in, you may never reach your destination because you'll be grabbing stuff along the way...

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Yank's are still made with the holes, but are less costly when they don't. I had to convince the owner of a company that I am a consultant for that it was worth the extra 30¢ per case. It's amazing how cheap some people are.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Sep 10 2004, 02:25 AM
Yank's are still made with the holes, but are less costly when they don't. I had to convince the owner of a company that I am a consultant for that it was worth the extra 30¢ per case. It's amazing how cheap some people are.
See, I didn't know that. I learn something new here every day, thanks for that bit of information.

The weird thing is, the private BLS company I work for is great about providing us with the best and newest equipment. The hospital we most often transport to, is also one of the largest in the country, and by far the newest in the area.

It's just that small things like no hole throw you off when you go to work your first code and can't find that damn hole.

PArescueEMT, if I haven't said it already, welcome to the forum! You've already taught me something, I hope you stick around for a while and continue to post!

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by MMiz@Sep 14 2004, 03:52 AM
I hope you stick around for a while and continue to post!
In the five years that I have been an EMT, I have been looking for a site like this. I plan to stick around for quite a while. I plan to help out in this area as much as I can since I also do some wiring as well.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
btw... I just wanted to let you know that the yank's with the vent are available from EMP (item number 50112) for $47.49 +S&H for a case of 50 if you want to pass that in along to your supervisor. ;)

GFD940

Forum Probie
The Hi-D "Big Stick" might be worth looking into. It costs a bit more but works great on the bigger "Chunks"

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by GFD940@Sep 17 2004, 04:12 PM
The Hi-D "Big Stick" might be worth looking into. It costs a bit more but works great on the bigger "Chunks"
they are almost 2x as much, but have the vent on them as well. once again...EMP to the rescue Item 40240 $89.73/ case of 50

if you can't tell, I like them and keep their catalog by my computer for easy access.

GFD940

Forum Probie
EMP was nice until Boundtree bought them and started raising all the prices. Compare the prices in the Winter 2003 and Summer 2004 catalog and you will see what I mean. I prefer EMS*USA to save money. Their price is $72.85 for a case of 50 "Big Sticks.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Woo Hoo. Post 150. That was my goal. Looking for posts to reply to. :p

Anyhoo, I ran into a problem w/ a "tonsil sucker" with no hole, so I try to kink the tube-no dice. The inside of our tubes are shaped like this ( * ) So no matter how you bend it, there is always an open passage. I ended up going through half a dozen tips till I found a good old Kendall Yankauer with a hole. When I run into the problem in a time where I can't search for one, I clamp the tube w/ a hemostat.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Aug 21 2004, 03:43 AM

The suction, as I've always known, is controlled by the knob on the machine. We can turn it on, and change the suction level. I'm sure there is an official name for the level, but I'm not sure. PSI?
I belive it is mmHg - Millimeters of Mercury, as it is a "pressure"

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I have seen this too - the suction cathaters with no hole - I don't like them.

Actually, what makes me sick to my stomach is seeing RNs in nursing homes suction a patient while not wearing gloves... when you cover the hole, you actually contact all that nasty stuff.

Also, I've seen the Big-sticks, but never had chance to use them - seem like a nice tool.

Jon

medic2021

Forum Ride Along
Interesting.

I'm wondering if the "suction on the way out" is one of those non-practical in-class things only. Now that I think of it, I've never seen someone take care to only suction on the way out.

Interesting.

Out units have built in suctions, and we carry portable electric suctions. We also carry two hand-operated units with several refills.

I learn something new every day.
the suction level is measured in mmHg

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
In the realm of not a useless bump, the Yankauer without the hole is perfect for leading VL. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.