substitutes for equipment.

onecrazykid108

Forum Probie
Are there any good substitutes for equipment? such as instead of oxygen by a NRB is there some way I can get the close to the same result?

just substitutes incase I need something and i'm off duty.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
i cant think of any substitutes for a NRB.. only kind of subs i ever used were like newspapers to splint and things like that.

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
I start IVs with widdled down tongue depressors when I run out of needles.

Now, let me be the first to ask, if you were off duty and we provided you a way to improvise a NRB where would you get the oxygen to run it?

8jimi8

CFRN
Are there any good substitutes for equipment? such as instead of oxygen by a NRB is there some way I can get the close to the same result?

You can always inhale some of your oxygen and then give them rescue breaths with that.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't think oxygen is necessarily the most important equipment I'd need in an emergency. If you need to bag them you can do rescue breathing as 8jimi8 said.

The longer I'm an EMT, the less stuff I carry. The item I've used most off-duty, besides band-aids is actually oral glucose for diabetics. I used to buy expensive oral glucose, but now keep small tubes of cake frosting around, with some more substantial snacks. I can also work wonders with gauze bandaging.

akrall83

Forum Probie
I don't think oxygen is necessarily the most important equipment I'd need in an emergency. If you need to bag them you can do rescue breathing as 8jimi8 said.

The longer I'm an EMT, the less stuff I carry. The item I've used most off-duty, besides band-aids is actually oral glucose for diabetics. I used to buy expensive oral glucose, but now keep small tubes of cake frosting around, with some more substantial snacks. I can also work wonders with gauze bandaging.

As a diabetic who has been given oral glucose from the med kits twice, I thank you for carrying cake gel. The med kit stuff takes like chunky cherry or lime flavored hair spray. It gets the job done, but it's bad going down and even worse when you throw it back up. It's still better than an IV with an amp of D-50 though

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
Improvising equipment should only be done in emergency situations. The equipment we carry was designed for a specific purpose.

Improvising splints is one thing. As long as it immobilizes the fracture, which is the inteneded goal. But to improvise things for respiratory uses is just asking for trouble.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As a diabetic who has been given oral glucose from the med kits twice, I thank you for carrying cake gel. The med kit stuff takes like chunky cherry or lime flavored hair spray. It gets the job done, but it's bad going down and even worse when you throw it back up. It's still better than an IV with an amp of D-50 though
I once had a kid spit out the oral glucose and refuse to eat it. I ended up having to get a few sodas from the vending machine.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I once had a kid spit out the oral glucose and refuse to eat it. I ended up having to get a few sodas from the vending machine.

PB and J

The best hypoglycemic food ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
PB and J

The best hypoglycemic food ever.

Incorrect. Marmalade/Jam crumpets and a cup of tea.

We should have a guideline for making cuppas.

Do you guys even have crumpets? I would have thought the Crown would have withdrawn them after you guys had that disagreement a while back. I'd love to visit America one day, but as a former subject of the British empire, I simply couldn't go anywhere that didn't have crumpets and tea. ;)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't worry, we have biscuits and sweet tea....good for ya!

And by biscuits I do not mean cookies...

But when you visit could you bring some Tim Tams??? Good stuff right there and yes, I am an expert slurper. I was trained by an Aussie on correct corner removal and coffee slurping.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Mmmmm... Tastykake

Do you guys even have crumpets?

We have Krimpets!

TastyKakeJellyKrimpets.JPG

8jimi8

CFRN
i thought this post was going to descend into whacker mayhem.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I started a post about this about a year ago or so...not so good really.

Single Combat With DEATH thing sort of deal.
If you don't have the proper equip, don't do it, as a matter of practice. Now, if you're in the middle of something and the hoberseeber or the frammis have glunkulated, and the fruit of faiulure is death, then go for it, but be prepared to answer a lot of questions. (Don't go into a gunfight with a knife).
Just go watch "Royal PAins", they're always making cric kits out of shrimp salad forks and Cartier watches.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP

You're not going to need to carry oxygen or anything of the like, for that matter.

There are only 3 things you will need for when you come across an emergency while off duty.

1. Your brain.

2. A detailed and thorough patient assessment.

3. Enhance and maintain everyone's calm until the crews get there.

Anything more than that would be extraneous.