Suboxone prescription

Deassesly

Forum Ride Along
Hi. Ive recently decided to go back to school to become an emt then get my associates and become a paramedic. The college im going to requires a drug screen before starting the program. I have a vaild prescription for suboxone. I have been on it consistently for almost 3 years. And it in no way hinders my abilities or senses. Will this medication prevent me from being accepted into the emt program or getting hired when I get my degree? Ive looked everywhere trying to find an answer before I waste my money on paying for classes I wont be able to take. From my understanding the american with disability act could be invoked in this situation. Thoughts? I have no criminal record at all.

OP
OP
D

Deassesly

Forum Ride Along
Also just to add. I was what you would consider a functioning addict. Never used heroin or street drugs. I dont have a criminal record. I have a family, a nice house, held a job, im well spoken and educated. Basically the last person you would think was an addict. I self medicated through severe post partum depression (hydrocodone) and thats how it all happened. I was an addict for a year or so. And now ive been in a medically assisted treatment program for a little over 3 years. I dont want one dark moment of my life to define me. I have 100% confidence in my ability to become an emt and eventually a paramedic, but im unsure about how this medication is viewed in a professional medical setting.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Which state are you in?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Well they seem to hide their requirements inside of pdfs, so you may want to peruse the state website and seen what they say.

OP
OP
D

Deassesly

Forum Ride Along
Well they seem to hide their requirements inside of pdfs, so you may want to peruse the state website and seen what they say.
I have. I have searched every website and went through every pdf i could find. Do you have any specifics I should try and search? Im trying to think positive on this situation but with the lack of info its hard. Thanks you!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If you've done that then the next step I would suggest would be to call the state ems office and ask them.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thanks i appreciate it. Maybe its just time to wean off the meds all together. I have 6 months so might as well
Wish you the best regardless of which way you go.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hi. Ive recently decided to go back to school to become an emt then get my associates and become a paramedic. The college im going to requires a drug screen before starting the program. I have a vaild prescription for suboxone. I have been on it consistently for almost 3 years. And it in no way hinders my abilities or senses. Will this medication prevent me from being accepted into the emt program or getting hired when I get my degree? Ive looked everywhere trying to find an answer before I waste my money on paying for classes I wont be able to take. From my understanding the american with disability act could be invoked in this situation. Thoughts? I have no criminal record at all.

I would take the drug test. If you test positive on your drug screening you'll need to provide the testing center a valid prescription for Suboxone.

From there it should be a non-issue, though you may be required to follow up with your program.

It appears as though you would be covered by the ADA.

I don't see anything in the NREMT or Michigan law that would disqualify you from becoming a Paramedic.

Still, I would only do so after speaking with your doctor.

Good luck!

OP
OP
D

Deassesly

Forum Ride Along
I would take the drug test. If you test positive on your drug screening you'll need to provide the testing center a valid prescription for Suboxone.

From there it should be a non-issue, though you may be required to follow up with your program.

It appears as though you would be covered by the ADA.

I don't see anything in the NREMT or Michigan law that would disqualify you from becoming a Paramedic.

Still, I would only do so after speaking with your doctor.

Good luck!
Thank you! I plan on having my prescribing physician write a letter attesting to my character for me to have that i can present too if they require a copy of the prescription. Hopefully this will be a non issue. Im going to speak to my doc about weaning down every month as well to prove my intent. I really want this and im looking forward to continuing my education so im praying for a good outcome.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Thank you! I plan on having my prescribing physician write a letter attesting to my character for me to have that i can present too if they require a copy of the prescription. Hopefully this will be a non issue. Im going to speak to my doc about weaning down every month as well to prove my intent. I really want this and im looking forward to continuing my education so im praying for a good outcome.

You don’t need to provide anything except proof of a valid prescription. It’s not a test of your character, it a test that screens for drugs. Having done hundreds of DOT Drug screens, every lab follows the same basic procedure. The MRO will be the person to verify your results. When you test positive for Opiates, you should receive a call from the testing lab’s MRO. Nobody else will see or know of your results. https://www.transportation.gov/odapc/mro

OP
OP
D

Deassesly

Forum Ride Along
You don’t need to provide anything except proof of a valid prescription. It’s not a test of your character, it a test that screens for drugs. Having done hundreds of DOT Drug screens, every lab follows the same basic procedure. The MRO will be the person to verify your results. When you test positive for Opiates, you should receive a call from the testing lab’s MRO. Nobody else will see or know of your results. https://www.transportation.gov/odapc/mro
Thank you! I've been reading up on everything today and from what I've read even a 10 panel drug screen will not show suboxone. Its a separate test and its expensive so its not standard. They do test for methadone but that's because its an actual opiate. So I think I should be fine. If they do test for it ill provide my prescription and hopefully everything will work out fine from there. Thank you for your response. Its appreciated. I've already got some of my books for the courses and im very excited to begin and take this step in my life!