Student seeking homework help.

chelsea

Forum Ride Along
Hello,
My name is Chelsea and I'm a nursing student. You all are probably wondering why I am here so I'll cut to the chase. For my final assignment I am working on a care plan for a pt that is being transported via ground by EMS. The medical details don't matter too much, as I just need a basic understanding of how EMS transport works. Unfortunately, my program did not offer us any clinical rotations in the EMS realm of healthcare so I have no exposure to it other than hand-off in the ER.

In your own words, can you describe how you would prepare a patient for transport? Not necessarily the physical actions or interventions but things like what they should expect? who will be part of the care team? etc. It would be helpful if you could explain it as if your were talking to a pt because the objective of my assignment is to educate my patient. I'm finding it difficult to write on this topic as if I am an expert when I've never even stepped foot in an ambulance before.

Thanks in advance

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
We don't ordinarily answer homework questions here, but since this is not so cut-and-dry, I'll bite. You have to provide me with some more information. I cannot answer your very broad question out of the abstract. If your provide some more specific information, ask specific, detailed questions, and not ask for us to word it for your homework assignment, we will be more than happy to help.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Is this supposed to be like your explaining a discharge via an ambulance transport?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
In your own words, can you describe how you would prepare a patient for transport? Not necessarily the physical actions or interventions but things like what they should expect? who will be part of the care team? etc. It would be helpful if you could explain it as if your were talking to a pt because the objective of my assignment is to educate my patient. I'm finding it difficult to write on this topic as if I am an expert when I've never even stepped foot in an ambulance before.

depending on how sick the patient is, they will be transported with an EMT, a paramedic or an RN. Assuming it's a discharge home from a hospital or facility, it would probably be an EMT, as the paramedic and RN are typically used only for more critically ill patients who are going to other facilities. Without going into great details, the transport crew would receive a report from the nurse as to the patient's condition, as well as a copy of the patient's chart. they would be advised on what interventions are currently being done, and what the sending doctor has requested be done during the transport.

once EMS arrives, they should introduce themselves to the patient, and after receiving the report, they will transfer the patient to the ambulance stretcher from the facility stretcher or bed. They will apply monitoring devices (as necessary), and do what they can to ensure the patient has a comfortable ride to their destination. if any issues arrive during transport, they will mitigate them as appropriate.

If the patient is going to another facility, once they arrive, they will give a report to a nurse. if they are going home, they will move the patient from their cot to a bed, typically with the family members or care givers present.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Something like this "it is my diagnosis you have <insert healthcare need unable to be met by ambulance personnel> AND in my opinion it is unsafe for you to wait to see <insert whom you are best referred to and assessed immediately here> BECAUSE you need <insert further tests/exam/treatment I reasonably expect you need> AND I do not believe any method of transport other than ambulance is suitable for <insert reason here>"

If I can't meet all of those criteria they're not being transported.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The transport coordinator, nurse, or ER tech would call dispatch and request a transport.

The call taker would ascertain what level of EMS service the patient requires (wheelchair van, BLS, ALS, Critical Care, Neonatal, Air, etc.)

A healthcare professional would fill out a Physician's Certification for Medical Necessity of Ambulance Service form that includes:
  • Patient's basic demographics
  • The destination facility (and why you selected a facility if it's not the closest)
  • Medical necessity questions
  • Signature of physician or healthcare professional
And the rest is detailed above.

Communication is essential. If the patient is going home, the discharge coordinator should coordinate with family or the receiving nursing/home facility. If sending to another facility, then it's ideal to know where (floor/room) where the patient will be going.

The patient should also have detailed discharge instructions beyond just the transport.

I prepared fully aware patients for transport by describing everything that I was going to do before I did it.

Hi, my name's Matt, I'm with F&B Ambulance Company service. This is my partner, Speed. We're going to transport you home to Granny Stacker Acres today. How are you feeling? I'm going to take one last set of vital signs before we leave. We're going to load you on the gurney in a few minutes. I'm going to ask you to cross your arms across your chest like you're giving yourself a big hug...

Other highlights:
  • We don't drop patients, no grabbing on to stuff while on the stretcher
  • It's going to be a little hot/cold in the back of the rig until we get going
  • Vitals every 5/15 minutes depending on condition, rules are rules
  • Sign that HIPAA form, again
  • Don't forget to follow your discharge instructions, I left them here with all of your medical documents