Straight Outta Certification

CareerEMT

Forum Ride Along
As the title implies, I recently received my EMT-B certification. Now the hard part: applying for a job. While most ambulance companies,(on the 911 system and private sector) require experience, I am basically applying to everything and anything I can. The reason for this post is my resume. I'm aware that there have been previous posts on the topic yet I have no idea how this forum works nor where to find it, (I googled the topic and it brought me here.) So here it goes: What is my resume supposed to look like? What do employers look for in a newbie EMT? My resume is below (obviously personal details omitted. What do you think? Anything helps. Thank you so so much in advance!

***************************************************************************************************************************

OBJECTIVE
To obtain employment as an Emergency Medical Technician where I may utilize the education and skills I currently possess as groundwork for continual growth and expertise within the field.

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
A certification in Emergency Medical Services requiring educational and hands-on training to provide ethical, personalized, effective, and genuine care to each patient. An ambitious, quick to learn, people-oriented, energetic, and open minded self-starter with the ability to take direction and effectively follow a chain of command.

LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
STATE LICENSED EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICE PROVIDER (EMT)
STATE DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES-Training and Certification, 2015
Mandated Reporter: Identifying and Reporting Child Abuse Maltreatment/Neglect​
FEMA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE -Training and Certification, 2015
Introduction to Incident Command System
National Incident Management System
Hazardous Materials for Medical Personnel​
STATE DRIVER’S LICENSE CLASS D
GIRL SCOUTS USA – Gold award recipient, 2008

EDUCATION AND TRAINING
EMT SCHOOL- City, State – 2015- qualified to take STATE EMT certification exam
Obtained training and expertise in basic life support, emergent trauma and medical care, as well as personal and scene safety management. The knowledge and understanding of, and adherence to all state and national protocols in regards to patient care, assessment, follow up, and transport.​
COLLEGE I WENT TO– Maintained Dean’s List GPA
Focused on the psychological and philosophical nature of human beings.​
GIRL SCOUTS USA- 1996-2008
Over five-hundred hours of combined, leadership, community service, and wilderness survival training and experience. A focused development of the attitudes and characteristics necessary to remain teachable, become aware of one’s surroundings and ensure personal safety.​

SELECTED EXPERTISE AND PROFFESIONAL HIGHLIGHTS
Name of Employer, City of employment, ZZ 12/2013-03/2014
· Accurately recorded and completed patient treatment notes and reports that were sent to insurance companies when requesting payment, as well as to other physicians caring for a patient.
· Conceived, revised, and carried out multiple goal-oriented, organizational, and client focused, strategies within a medical practice increasing the quality of patient care, as well as facility profits.
· Observed and practiced varied safety standards, laws, and regulations.​
Name of Employer, City of employment, ZZ 04/2012-10/2014
· Trained department employees in standard operating procedures, function, utilization, and maintenance of all departmental equipment.​
Name of Employer, City of employment, ZZ 09/2012-03/2013
· Provided an individualized approach to each patron resulting in a positive experience, promoting repeat business and referrals from existing clients.​
Name of Employer, City of employment, ZZ 05/2006-08/2006 (summer internship)
· Managed and worked with a multi-line phone system to quickly ascertain client’s needs and direct their calls to the right department.
· Used multi-tasking abilities to aid multiple staff members in clerical and administrative duties.​

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
I've NEVER turned in a resume for any job I've ever obtained. I work part time fire and full time EMS. I've always just gone with what they ask for, paper or online app and follow up in person. Personally I feel like yes it can be helpful IF BEAUTIFUALLY written and perfect. But if not, it's just a easily viewed negative summary of grammar/punctuation and spelling mistakes. I'd rather present myself in person than on paper.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Looks like a nice resume to me. Every job I have had applied for has asked for a resume and referenced it during the interview. Ambulance companies are gonna look for the same thing other non ambulance employers look for.
- Work well in a team.
- Able to work alone without supervision. Get a task done if delegated to you.
- Strong communication skills.
- Able to resolve conflicts.
- Work under stress.
- Multitasking.
- Customer service experience.
- Work ethics.
- Safety awareness.

Those are some things I can think of. It is very common for EMTs applying to jobs to have no prior experience. It is an entry level job. What a lot of people do is apply their prior experience from non ambulance jobs to the ambulance job. They'll talk about how they had to handle a bunch of customers at a fast food job, it was fast paced, they had to interact with customers and their co-workers, and etc.

NCmedic

Forum Probie
We don't require resumes for EMT and Paramedic positions; however, when well written they can add value to your overall application packet. As a brand new clinician I wouldn't expect a lot of accomplishments that directly relate to EMS. Your best option is to highlight your accomplishments that speak to you ability to lead others, teamwork, work ethic, and attitude. A good thing to keep in mind is that a resume should not be presented to an employer just to list work history and assigned tasks. You will want to take the time to highlight major responsibilities, projects, and your creativity and show examples of your claims.

I would also suggest that you eliminate the objective statement, they have mostly fallen out of favor. More often than not, they highlight what an prospective employee wants out of an organization. Instead you want to highlight what you bring to the table and how you can make an immediate, positive impact within the organization. A strong "summary of qualifications" statement can accomplish this.

Hope this is helpful

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Your resume looks good.

One thing is many agencies are placing a much heavier emphasis on customer service these days. Don't be afraid to go heavy on your customer service experience in you previous roles.