Stethoscopes

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
MrConspiracy posted in another thread in regards to what EMT-B's should get for their stethoscopes:
How clearly do you need to hear those Korotkoff sounds? Get something reasonably-priced. I use an ADC ADSCOPE 630 which cost me about $30. It's heavier and slightly less comfortable (stiffer earpieces) than the Littmann scopes I've had a chance to use, but it's more than adequate for my needs. Littmann lightweights are also in the <$100 range. The consensus is to stay away from dual-tube (Sprague-Rappaport-style) scopes, which aren't to be confused with dual-lumen scopes.

Why do we want to stay away from dual tube scopes? That was what I was issues and have used it ever since without a problem!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The tubes can rub together and create interference in my experience.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
The tubes can rub together and create interference in my experience.

I agree, we use to be issued dual tube scopes but during transport the tubes do rub together.

They have been removed from our trucks.

firemoose0827

Forum Probie
I have had that issue as well with my very first stethoscope I purchased for $20, it was a dual tube and it always gave me artifact noises I thought were coming from the patient.

But I also agree, buy an affordable scope. Some people spend hundreds of dollars on their scopes and when they let me try them, I hear no difference from my $20 bargain bin scope I bought from the EMS supply store. Its all about the user and their ability to tell the difference between the lung sounds and their level of hearing damage from years of siren damage!:rolleyes:

Anyone ever use the breath sounds audio tapes to practice with? I have one that I use every now and then to brush up on my lung sounds and it helps.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I hate using duel-tubes. Too much interference.

I have a Littmann Select that I bought for $60. Love it. Single tube, single diaphragm.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
My only complaint I have against my Littman Cardiac III (Christmas present from the folks) is that I have the dual bell. Though it doesn't pick up MUCH ambient noise, it does pick up some. I'd like to have the single sided bell, with the tear drop shape to fit under the BP cuff better. But hey, I have an extremely high quality scope I got for free, so it's hard to complain.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm, what is this interference you speak of. I've never used anything other than the dual tube so I guess I mist be used to it. And what's the second tube used for? I have two bells that I can turn on and off by rotating, so I doubt theres a tube of each bell since only one bell can be "on" at a time.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmmm, what is this interference you speak of. I've never used anything other than the dual tube so I guess I mist be used to it. And what's the second tube used for? I have two bells that I can turn on and off by rotating, so I doubt theres a tube of each bell since only one bell can be "on" at a time.

A single lumen is considered better because the two tubes tend to rub together, giving a noise that can obscure the BP. Also, the lumen in the higher end scopes are better insulated to prevent sound bleed through them.

I had the twenty dollar, dual lumen at first too. You notice the difference when you upgrade, trust me.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
What's the difference betweeen dual lumen and dual tube?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Nothing.

Lumen is another term for tube.

The CombiTube is a dual-lumen device because it has 2 tubes.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
The duel tubes allow for you to hear in stereo whereas the single tubes are only mono.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The duel tubes allow for you to hear in stereo whereas the single tubes are only mono.
I think you need to review what exactly what you are trying to say. I don't think you fully understand what you're trying to say. The sounds are coming from the same spot (wherever you place the bell or diaphragm) thereby negating the ability to hear "in stereo" as you would when listening to transmitted atmospheric sounds or in recordings. I think you are taking "stereo" to mean localizing the source of an auscultated sound to the left versus right side of wherever you are listening based upon which ear you hear it in. There is no difference in single versus dual tube in this regard.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
lol.. easy guys... again... just a bit of early morning humor... I know a duel tube doesnt produce Hi-Def.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
It was just a bit of humor....

Sorry, man. You have to know that sarcasm doesn't come out well in text form. You have to make it SO outrageous that there is absolutely no question. Something like "Yeah, I like getting kids while on shift. Put them in Tupperware, and they'll last as leftovers for days!"

What you said was all too possible for someone to actually say. I'd be willing to bet half the students in a basic class would buy it, too.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
That's what I thought, but then I read this:

"The consensus is to stay away from dual-tube (Sprague-Rappaport-style) scopes, which aren't to be confused with dual-lumen scopes."

trevor1189

Forum Captain
What's the difference betweeen dual lumen and dual tube?
Dual tube has two, non-connected tubes running to the earpieces. Dual lumen is two lumens in one tube. Mastercardiology comes to mind. It actually has one tube with two lumens inside it.
Nothing.

Lumen is another term for tube.

The CombiTube is a dual-lumen device because it has 2 tubes.
Not exactly see above.

EMT2SaveU

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I use a dual tube steth which I got as a gift. I have not had any problems listening, in fact, I was the only one to hear the instructors exact BP thumping sounds and correctly identify his normal BP range which no one got in the class. I love it.. I don't know what make it is although I see an ADC stamp on the edge of the bell.

Isaac