Stethoscopes for EMTs

MegCatherine

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone!

I'm a new EMT and through class I used just the cheapy stethoscopes to practice BPs and I sometimes had a problem hearing them, but I thought it was because I needed more practice. Now I practice on my own family every day but it's always quiet then. In the back of the rig I usually can't hear a patient's BP (I ride 3rd), and I'm getting pretty frustrated. The only time I was able to hear it was when I was practicing with a medic's littmann cardiology stethoscope.

So I guess my question is couple-fold. I'm currently using just a super cheap one that I got for free. I'm graduating from high-school soon, and my family wants to get me a nice stethoscope. I've heard conflicting opinions that EMTs should/don't need to get an expensive stethoscope. What do you guys have? I really just want something that will help me get BPs. I know some of it is I guess I just need to practice more, so is it even worth it to get a good stethoscope? Finally, any tips for hearing BPs in general?

Thanks!
Meg

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I usually recommend the Littmann Lightweight II SE. Costs $40-50 and works well for field use (they also come in a variety of colors). Lugging around a heavier stethoscope gets annoying.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have a prestige vet scope with the longer tubing and its got a littmann diaphragm on it. Everyone always compliments me on how well they can hear with my littmann. I never tell them.

Last edited:

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I have posted this tip before - put your feet on the bottom of the cot, not on the floor. It stops vibrations and truck noise coming through. I have an ADC Stealth stethoscope on order (been using the old reliable sprague, time for an upgrade). Getting it delivered Amazon Prime tomorrow. I am on duty over the weekend if I remember I will let you know what it is like. It costs around $40 - $45 depending who you get it through.

OP
OP
M

MegCatherine

Forum Ride Along
I have a prestige vet scope with the longer tubing and its got a littmann diaphragm on it. Everyone always compliments me on how well they can hear with my littmann. I never tell them.

Hahaha, that's great- all part of the fun!

OP
OP
M

MegCatherine

Forum Ride Along
I have posted this tip before - put your feet on the bottom of the cot, not on the floor. It stops vibrations and truck noise coming through. I have an ADC Stealth stethoscope on order (been using the old reliable sprague, time for an upgrade). Getting it delivered Amazon Prime tomorrow. I am on duty over the weekend if I remember I will let you know what it is like. It costs around $40 - $45 depending who you get it through.

Thanks!! I'll try this!
I'm from the camp that says practice matters more than what you use. You probably don't need a cardiology, just go with a mid-range stethoscope like a Littmann Classic II/SE/Lightweight and call it a day.

Read these and practice on people:

These were great links- really really helpful. Thank you!

I usually recommend the Littmann Lightweight II SE. Costs $40-50 and works well for field use (they also come in a variety of colors). Lugging around a heavier stethoscope gets annoying.

I'll look into those- thanks!

Bluemtnsky

Forum Probie
Rather than start a new thread just adding a question here...

I'm a total newbie and am currently shopping for a stethoscope. I've noticed that some of the stethoscopes have an adult diaphragm side and a pediatric side. It seems that as an EMT having both sides handy would be a good idea but I'm not sure if actually would be... Any suggestions?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Rather than start a new thread just adding a question here...

I'm a total newbie and am currently shopping for a stethoscope. I've noticed that some of the stethoscopes have an adult diaphragm side and a pediatric side. It seems that as an EMT having both sides handy would be a good idea but I'm not sure if actually would be... Any suggestions?
Stethoscopes have two heads to listen for two ranges of sounds, higher pitched and lower pitched. Getting a single diaphragm stethoscope will work fine for pretty much everything you will encounter, even peds, but consider that a smaller head will make it easier to auscultate BPs on kids.

Bluemtnsky

Forum Probie
Stethoscopes have two heads to listen for two ranges of sounds, higher pitched and lower pitched, not to differentiate between adult and ped sounds.

Seen a number that have two diaphragm sides that list it as adult and ped. Not just a diaphragm and a bell.

Getting an "adult" sized stethoscope will work fine for pretty much everything you will encounter, even if a smaller head makes it easier to auscultate BPs on kids.

That's good to know, thanks!

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I have a VERY hard time hearing BPs with the cheapos on the ambos. I bought a Littman Classic II, it was like $70 on Amazon. Totally worth it. You really don't need a top-of-the-line super expensive one, but shop in the $50-$100 range. It's good enough to hear with, yet cheap enough that if it's lost/damaged/broken you're not out a fortune.

Bluemtnsky

Forum Probie
After deliberating for days, reading countless reviews, and visiting a medical supply store, I got a Prestige Clinical for now because it seems like they don't have the tunable diaphragm thing and that may be less confusing for me in the beginning (and I won't be as sad if I lose it). Starting EMT classes tomorrow!

arny81991

Forum Probie
My brother took an EMT course through our old high school and his stethoscope was a POS. I got my Littmann just recently and was testing it out on some family members and it was so much better than his (I don't even know what brand it is, looks like crap). But I agree, go for something in the $50-$100 range, I spent a little less ($38) but it is still good. Go brand name too, like Prestige and Littmann.

Teej92

Forum Crew Member
I got a ADC adscope 615. It has the head just like the littman cardiology scope and works great and is WAAAAY cheaper. I got mine on Amazon for $40

arny81991

Forum Probie
Amazon is a great place to look. Now that I'm home, I got the Littmann Lightweight II.

The ProMedic Project

Forum Ride Along
I agree with most other commenters. If you new, I'd buy a good quality mid range scope. Littmann Classic II is what I used for my first 10 years as a Medic. Only after I started flying did I upgrade. Having both an adult and peds diaphragm is nice, but not necessary.

Quality can make a difference, but technique is more important.

"stethoscope dot com" is the cheapest place I've found, including Amazon, to find high quality scopes.

Sean

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Littman.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Medicine is about practice. The skills learned are more important than the tools. Try to learn on the cheap ones, so you can always use that whenever someone throws you one on a scene. Then, buy a nice stethoscope. You'll know what you want by then anyhow.

azbrewcrew

Forum Crew Member
Medicine is about practice. The skills learned are more important than the tools. Try to learn on the cheap ones, so you can always use that whenever someone throws you one on a scene. Then, buy a nice stethoscope. You'll know what you want by then anyhow.

This x1000. I don't know how many probationary EMTs I had come through my station that were all Ricky Rescued out with the gear belt and Littman Cardiology 10000 scopes,and they couldn't auscultate a BP to save their lives (or someone else's). I bought a $25 scope years ago for the sole reason that I didn't like sharing ears with other people and it served me just fine. Unless your listening for heart tones and bowel sounds in the back of your bus you will be just fine with a cheaper stethoscope. Worst case if you can't auscultate a BP you can always palp one in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk