Stethoscope, more of a symbol than a tool

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Interesting topic, my two cents for whatever it's worth, I used cheap steths for about 18 months. But the day that it didn't do what I needed it to do, then I promptly went out and dropped a quarter of a paycheck on one that would. I'm a firm believer in not buying expensive gear until you can define how you absolutely need it. This was back in the dark ages when a two week paycheck was about $500 or less... ;)

phideux

Forum Captain
For some people this is true.

Some people don't need the wing on their car either.

One very smart emergency physician I know has decided that ultrasound has made the stethoscope obsolete (glares over thataway).

But the Ultrasound machine is a bit bulky and hard to carry around your neck. :)

Seriously though, I use my stethoscope all the time, I have 2, middle of the road Littmans, one stays in my hospital kit, one stays in my ambulance kit. Working in the ER I carry it around my neck. Working on the ambulance, I carry it in my side pocket, I already have my radio strap and mic around my neck it gets tangled with them if I throw it on my neck.

One quick tip that works for me, I got a set of the veterinary binaurals for my hospital scope, they are longer and hang around my neck better.o_O

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I actually traded in my Littman for an ADR vet scope after using my wife's. I really like the extra tube length and once I put Littman earpieces on it, it was identical in performance.

But, it's just a status symbol... So I guess it's no big deal.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I sold my littman cardiology and got an ADC cardiology for half the price and works better.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have a really nice Littman (not even sure of the model) with my name engraved that a good friend gave me when I finished grad school.

It's too nice to carry around and risk losing, so I use whatever cheap disposable ones they leave hanging off the side of the anesthesia cart, or stuffed in the bag on the ambulance.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
you can't honestly say that the number one factor that contributes to the purchase of most peoples steth is functionality though
I have mine because it actually works much better than the cheap disposable ones the company buys... Secondly, the fact that it only goes in my ears (or a known partner) only strengthens the case.

I keep my ears in my cargo pocket.
I also carry a penlight.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I have an ADC 601 that i carry every day and while yes, its technically a "cardiologists" scope i like the dual diaphragm/bell set up. . Lung sounds are an integral part of my assessment and the scope we have in our bags are wither those dual sprauge ones or cheap one with a thin plastic diaphragm. They both equally suck at getting decent sounds.

But i also carry a pelican AAA light instead of the disposable pen lights. i like the multiple intensity settings and i always carry a light with me on or off duty.

As for the tape, i have a roll on a carabiner on my radio strap. When i need tape i dont like to go digging through the bag looking for a roll just to secure a 4x4 over a venipuncture site or a dexstick,

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I carry my own cause I don't like Ear-Aids.

Ever grabbed the community stethoscope and realized too late you forgot to clean it at start of shift? Some people seriously need to invest in Q-tips.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Not all of them. I can't stand to have it around my neck and usually have it in my pocket. I clean it with the cancer wipes and when I sometimes put it around my neck for lack of a better place to put it, I get a wicked itchy rash.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Do I trust the average EMT to be able to use it properly to assess lung sounds or anything else? Not really, but it is sort of essential for manually auscultating BP.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Maybe once you get a little more education and some time in the field you will see that a steth is a required piece of equipment in the field. And pen lights are disposable, cheap pieces of gear. They're not even in the same realm as scopes.

I think this whole post was quite ridiculous. If you do not see the necessity of the stethoscope in EMS, then you are not doing your job well enough. Even at the BLS level, I use my scope frequently. Blood pressures and lung sounds for the most part, but both are a necessity. While, no, I do not need to own my own, I do prefer to have my own. Some people are just dirty, and I have personally gotten an ear infection from using scopes that are just shoved in a jump back. I know that mine is clean. The quality is also better than the 15 dollar one in the bag. Yes, the one in the bag is efficient in the job, but I can hear much clearer in the back of my ambulance with my own. I never have to repeat a BP because I did not hear it, and never have to tell a medic that I could not hear lung sounds. Also, while you might have good hearing, not everyone does. The 15 dollar scope in a the truck might not be good enough for some. I volunteer with a 72 year old man, who can not hear without a 300 electronic scope, so he bought one. Is it worth it for him? Yes. For me? Probably note.

Is it a bad thing to want to be individualistic and say something about yourself? I do not think so.

As for the comment about penlights, not the same thing. I do not use a penlight on every call. I do use a scope on every call. The one in the bag or cabinet, will always be adequate for pupil assessment, unless the battery is dead. Buying anything more expensive would be stupid. I also am not stick a penlight in my ear or any other orphous of my body.

jlw

Dirty cot jockey
They are an important tool for ALS and BLS providers alike. I need to hear lung sounds to differentiate between wheezes and crackles to determine if they need a duoneb tx or CPAP, also to rule out a tension pneumo, or confirm ET placement, also sometimes the automated cuff on the monitor just won't read or I don't like what it says so its nice to have a manual cuff/steth as an option.

meatanchor

Forum Probie
I do search & rescue, and find that it's sometimes the only way to get a pulse when it's cold. It's also very useful for assessing patients for High-Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE), which can be life-threatening.

Jane

Forum Crew Member
I started out with a cheap stethoscope from CVS when I began EMT school. I quickly found out that it was pretty much useless in the back of a moving ambulance. The ones stocked in the Thomas packs were no better. Auscultating lung sounds was impossible for me. I had no other choice but to invest in a good quality stethoscope. I'm very glad I did so. It helped immensely and more than likely will last a lot longer than the cheap $10 one I originally bought.

I don't wear it around my neck, but I definitely keep it in one of the cargo pockets on my pants so it's always handy.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
To weigh in, I like it as a symbol. I mean why not? It comforts people to see it. Also, my pen light I carry on me all the time.

But the question here is, why does it matter your purpose for having one? It gets used the same way.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
I disagree. If a homeless looking man came up to you. With torn clothing and a beard and unbathed. And told you he would diversify your bonds. All he needed was your bank info, you wouldn't let him near your finances would you?

The appearance is what assures people you can help them.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I disagree. If a homeless looking man came up to you. With torn clothing and a beard and unbathed. And told you he would diversify your bonds. All he needed was your bank info, you wouldn't let him near your finances would you?

The appearance is what assures people you can help them.

That's an argument for uniforms, not stethoscopes. And it's such a terrible comparison in so many ways...

Would you only hire this financial advisor if he had a calculator hanging from a lanyard around his neck, or would it be acceptable for him to leave it in a drawer in his office, or maybe in his briefcase?

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
It's the person who comforts people, not a forked rubber hose with a sound amp. Having it around your neck 'as a symbol' = Ricky Rescue.

That's an argument for uniforms, not stethoscopes. And it's such a terrible comparison in so many ways...

Would you only hire this financial advisor if he had a calculator hanging from a lanyard around his neck, or would it be acceptable for him to leave it in a drawer in his office, or maybe in his briefcase?

I have a vivid memory of reading a study where patients rated physicians as more knowledgeable when they wore a stethoscope around their neck vs not wearing one. I can't find the study right now, so it's possible I'm making that up. However, a number of studies have been done on how physician appearance influences how kind, competent, etc, patients perceive their providers to be. Other factors are likely more important, I don't know, but appearance and image certainly do matter too.

Personally I find stethoscope around the neck to be a little bit cringey unless you just used it, but whatever.