Stethoscope hacking.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So if your going to give nitro and your partner records a set of vitals (even if you've been working with the same partner for a while) you will still get your own set before the nitro?

No, but lung sounds can be a little different. Combine that with history, and I could have a patient with cardiac wheezing as opposed to asthma induced wheezing and will treat accordingly. Vital signs half the time I wind up getting myself anyways.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
So if your going to give nitro and your partner records a set of vitals (even if you've been working with the same partner for a while) you will still get your own set before the nitro?

Seen it before multiple times, if your partner is competent and you know and trust them, why is it inappropriate? If a procedure is within the SoP of the EMT and they should be competent and the company states that they are competent in it, then it shouldn't be a problem either if they are making the numbers up and they get caught.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
No, but lung sounds can be a little different. Combine that with history, and I could have a patient with cardiac wheezing as opposed to asthma induced wheezing and will treat accordingly. Vital signs half the time I wind up getting myself anyways.

Exactly, not to mention that interpretation of lung sounds is far more subjective than taking a blood pressure.

If a medic asked me to listen for breath sounds, and I reported them to him and then he administered a medication, I would not be happy. That is just poor patient care on the medics part.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Exactly, not to mention that interpretation of lung sounds is far more subjective than taking a blood pressure.

If a medic asked me to listen for breath sounds, and I reported them to him and then he administered a medication, I would not be happy. That is just poor patient care on the medics part.

So are you not comfortable in obtaining lung sounds then?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Depends on my partner but if I trust them I have no problem with them listening for me.

With that said I've made it a habit to listen to lung sounds on every one of my patients just for my own personal benefit.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Depends on my partner but if I trust them I have no problem with them listening for me.

With that said I've made it a habit to listen to lung sounds on every one of my patients just for my own personal benefit.

Listen to heart tones while you are at it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Listen to heart tones while you are at it.

Been trying too. I'll admit I definitely don't know what I'm listening to when I do for the most part. I can identify irregularities but unfortunately can't tell you much more than "not normal". I'm getting better though, slowly.

I'm realizing more and more every day how much I really don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Been trying too. I'll admit I definitely don't know what I'm listening to when I do for the most part. I can identify irregularities but unfortunately can't tell you much more than "not normal".

Read the chapter in Guyton's medical physiology.

There is only a little to know, but it takes lots of practice.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Read the chapter in Guyton's medical physiology.

There is only a little to know, but it takes lots of practice.

But why should I learn these things? I'm just an ambulance driver, I mean paramedic. :rolleyes:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I wonder if some people are less-equipped to auscultate. Same as there being people who learn better by listening than watching, or vice-versa, etc. I had coworkers I could NOT teach to use an otoscope, but they did fine auscultating lungs fields and abdomens.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Did someone say "steal"? I'm sure it was just borrowed....then stuck in their ears....and left in their car for a couple years.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
What kind of animals do you work with that you have to worry about coworkers stealing your scope?!?

Come to NYC. I can show you a few zoos that aren't located in central park or the Bronx.

Joe

Forum Captain
What kind of animals do you work with that you have to worry about coworkers stealing your scope?!?

Or how someone got my littman that had my full name engraved on the metal... jack a...