Steel toe or no??

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
I am looking for a good quality pair of boots to last me a good long while. I did some research both here and on some other sites, but was curious as to your feelings about steel toes.

Our EMT handbook says that boots with reinforced toes are encouraged. But I've heard they aren't always the most comfortable.

How many here have a little metal in their shoes??
Should I go with the steel toe for safety even if it compromises some comfort?

-Matt

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Because we were industrial EMS we were required to wear steel toes. As with any shoes, as they wear your feet will start to hurt. Start gellin' and you'll feel better.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
You could be working in some pretty heavy duty conditions, a good pair of steel toe boots can last for a long time. My only advice is wear THICK boot socks, makes the boots a little more cozy! Hope this helps! ;)

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I had a pair of CAT work boots from a previous job, with steel toe and shank, and they work just fine. With thick socks, there aren't any comfort issues, the boots are well-made, and this particular model has the toe enclosed in any case. Just be sure not to bump into anything. Also, steel toes tend to add weight to boots.
Because of that, and the need to keep pulling my pants over the bright yellow logo, I probably will be buying some more EMS-specific footwear in time.

RescueShirts.com

Forum Crew Member
I have always worn steel-toed boots.

When I started EMS, I bought a pair of really expensive boots... they lasted a long time, but I found out that I am the type that trashes the TOP of my boots.

So... having boots that could have the sole replaced was not that important.

Now I buy the $99 dollar Steel-toe Zipper boots from Galls... and they last me 18-24 months.

I figure... no different than buying $300 boots that last 5 years...

The weight is not much of an issue for me... you just develop nice calf muscles while at work. :)

The bottom line is you really don't know what you like, until you try something.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I have always worn steel-toed boots.

When I started EMS, I bought a pair of really expensive boots... they lasted a long time, but I found out that I am the type that trashes the TOP of my boots.

I had the same problem until I switched to Matterhorn S&R Tiger Tip Boots

I spend a lot of time crawling under houses for my real job, and these are the only boots I've found that can stand up to the abuse.

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
I'm personally using a pair of Dakota steel toed boots I scored at Value Village for $8 at the moment...they've worked really well, and just feel a bit heavy at first, until you get used to the extra weight. Just wear thick (but absorbant, no one likes sweaty feet) socks and you should be fine. I do lots of gardening with them, then just polish them up when I need them for other purposes, and they work great.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I don't like steel toe. I just don't drop things on my toes.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Personally I do wear steel toed 8'' boots. Just with the amount of things that i kick and drop (accidentally and purposefully) it gives me that peace of mind. The only issue that I have run into is that I keep a pair so long (get them re-soled) is that the edge of the steel toe cap rubs through the inner cloth liner of the boot. I quick spplication of some mole-skin (available at the local drug store) fixed it for several months.

The two pairs I have are Thorogood "Station Boots" http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_273_thorogood_8_station_boots/ that run about $120 and can be re-soled for $55 http://www.resole.com/ and are returned to you in < 14 days. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever tried on from day one, and other than the mentioned wear through have not had any problems with them. Comfortable in the summer and winter here in Atlanta, never had any H20 issues, I even kept the factory insole in until it wore out without any aches or pains. My oldest pair is going on two years now and has been re-soled twice and the newest I just had re-soled at 10 months.

MedikErik

Forum Crew Member
I find Red Wing steel toed boots are great. Have the cot run over your toes once, or accidentally try to kick the back step up without a steel toe on... I find they come in handy.

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
After thinking about it....I'd rather have the steel toe or some form of protected toe rather than ruin the scene by becoming a patient myself after a _____(insert your favorite heavy object here)______ rolls over my foot.

-Matt

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that is what I am talking about!! ^_^

stonez

Forum Crew Member
I wear Cats with steel toe caps. We do a lot of MVAs and it could happen so easily that something could end up on top of your foot.
Better safe than sorry.
The boots are comfortable but they can get a bit heavy if you have to do a lot of running about.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
We (and most firefighters, I'd think) don't really get a choice, they are mandated in almost every department. I do think they are a good idea, even though we normally wear our steel-toe bunker boots on most calls, except medicals. After awhile you are so used to them that nonsteel toed boots feel weird, kind of like not wearing a seat belt once you get used to them. They have save my tootsies enough times that I couldn't think of working in anything else.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I always wear steel toed boots. It's great when something gets dropped on your feet, or your rig won't start and you want to kick the tires. :)

Mine don't hurt. Got some magnum II boots with zippers on the side a year ago. Comfy!

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I am looking for a good quality pair of boots to last me a good long while. I did some research both here and on some other sites, but was curious as to your feelings about steel toes.

Our EMT handbook says that boots with reinforced toes are encouraged. But I've heard they aren't always the most comfortable.

How many here have a little metal in their shoes??
Should I go with the steel toe for safety even if it compromises some comfort?

-Matt

I wear Bates Ultra-lites with a polymer composite that is reinforced and protective as steel but lighter, easier to run in, and does not set off detectors http://www.copquest.com/47-1000.htm#Bates_Ultra-Lite_8-Inch_Tactical_Sport_Side-Zip_Boot

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Which tend to fall apart after moderate usage. I bought some for when I worked at the TSA, but they couldn't hold up to the abuse I put them through on calls.

Really? I have had mine over a yr now and after working the truck, industry, horse races and other places they still work and look great with velcro still working and have had no problem knock on wood

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally, never seen the need of steel toe in EMS (FD is a different story). Even worn coach style low cut shoes, which was the most comfortable and durable. I would like to see us get out of the "commando" style uniforms, and more into our own style.

R/r 911

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Thats funny Rid!

Dang it man, I was reading through the replies wondering what you was going to say because I already knew my answer.

Yes, I guess for ultimate safety, steel toes would be best.

However I have NEVER worn a pair for EMS and see no need for them. I have had stretchers bump into my foot but it never seemed to be able to "run over it". As far as "kicking" the back step, again why would you do that?

They are too heavy, uncomfortable and impractical for EMS work.

Now on the FD, it was a different story as our turnout boots were steel toe. But again, even our normal station boots or shoes were not steel.

Like I said, I will never fault anyone for wearing them but you did ask our opinion. I also have NEVER had to buy a pair of boots either. My employer provided them at each and every job as part of our contract, so if cost and longevity is a factor in your case, do what is best for you.

Last edited by a moderator: