Staying Frosty

Mad Max

Forum Probie
So just last week, I managed to land a job with a local private service that mainly deals with patient transports to and from dialysis, with a little bit of hospital discharges thrown in for good measure. I'm new to EMS, like graduated from EMT class less than three months ago new, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for keeping my trauma skills sharp, considering for the foreseeable future, all I'm going to be doing is basic assessment and vitals. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love finally being in the field, (seriously, I giggled a little bit when I got to ride shotgun in the rig for the first time,) but I don't want to lose what little edge my skills might have since I'll likely not have a chance to ever put them to use in my current job.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
So just last week, I managed to land a job with a local private service that mainly deals with patient transports to and from dialysis, with a little bit of hospital discharges thrown in for good measure. I'm new to EMS, like graduated from EMT class less than three months ago new, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for keeping my trauma skills sharp, considering for the foreseeable future, all I'm going to be doing is basic assessment and vitals. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love finally being in the field, (seriously, I giggled a little bit when I got to ride shotgun in the rig for the first time,) but I don't want to lose what little edge my skills might have since I'll likely not have a chance to ever put them to use in my current job.

Got a girlfriend?

Practice on her here and there. Mentally play with scenarios on your free time. That'll help a lot.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
You come across a booboo, make it stay in place or put a dressing on it...

Not to be a ****, but what is there to keep sharp realistically...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Assessment skills and backboarding skills (I've seen many EMTs who are horrible at it) just to name a few

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Odds are, those EMTs are horrible at everything...

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't practice assessment skills and back boarding someone off duty.

I definitely wouldn't quiz my girlfriend either.

Getting ALS experience will be the refresher time you need. If you have questions, ask an ALS FTO when the time comes.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I wouldn't practice assessment skills and back boarding someone off duty.

Why not practice assessment skills and backboarding skills off duty? If you're able to get all the proper equipment for backboarding why not practice?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

This is pretty much the truth. There is just not that much to forget at the basic level.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This is pretty much the truth. There is just not that much to forget at the basic level.

Or even at the medic level for that matter. Add in IVs, fluids and needle decompression and that's about it.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Or even at the medic level for that matter. Add in IVs, fluids and needle decompression and that's about it.

I can stick plastic and metal into a rubber patient 1000 times over, doesn't equate to being able to do the same on a real patient.

Beyond anatomy/physiology, patient assessment is the absolute basis of being a medical provider. You can't treat anyone if you can't properly assess them. That in mind, you can practice on your girlfriend all you want, but what is it really accomplishing? It is wasted effort for anything but a skills test. Following a cookbook approach in the field is often wrong regardless of what your "experienced" instructors tell you. The only way to practice your assessment skills, is to assess real patients. Being able to assess and treat through critical thinking, general knowledge and experience only comes from real patients.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Ugh. Speaking of which, I have not started an IV since December and my non-ambulance job boss expects me to do so (since he cannot). Time to find a friendly ER doctor I suppose.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I can stick plastic and metal into a rubber patient 1000 times over, doesn't equate to being able to do the same on a real patient.

Beyond anatomy/physiology, patient assessment is the absolute basis of being a medical provider. You can't treat anyone if you can't properly assess them. That in mind, you can practice on your girlfriend all you what, but it is honestly a wasted effort for anything but a skills test. Following a cookbook approach in the field is often wrong regardless of what your "experienced" instructors tell you. The only way to practice your assessment skills, is to assess real patients. Being able to assess and treat through critical thinking, general knowledge and experience only comes from real patients.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me :lol:

I forgot about intubation too.

With that said, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you just said.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So let me make sure I understand this. If you don't have an opportunity to asses a real patient it is better to not practice at all. How are you supposed to get experience assessing a real patient if you don't have that opportunity? Run around and hit people and make them have allergic reactions so that you have a real patient?

A cookbook approach is better then no approach at all.

If you want to stay up on your skills but don't use them in your normal job (don't get to use them) then why not practice according to what tests want? Should you just not practice anything at all then come into a job and say "I haven't used or thought about any of my skills for 2 years but who cares I got this."

I would 100% rather have a medic or EMT who has been practicing skills based on tests then a medic or EMT who hasn't practiced anything for a long time who thinks "Ahhhh these skills are easy. I got this".

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Got a girlfriend?

Practice on her here and there. Mentally play with scenarios on your free time. That'll help a lot.

Giggity.
But seriously, some truth to this. He or she would probably be comfortable with you practicing assessments... and we're just gonna stop there, OK? Family friendly site and all.

Assessment skills and backboarding skills (I've seen many EMTs who are horrible at it) just to name a few

You can practice assessments ALL DAY doing dialysis transports. News Flash: these are some of the SICKEST people you'll see, ever.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So let me make sure I understand this. If you don't have an opportunity to asses a real patient it is better to not practice at all. How are you supposed to get experience assessing a real patient if you don't have that opportunity? Run around and hit people and make them have allergic reactions so that you have a real patient?

A cookbook approach is better then no approach at all.

If you want to stay up on your skills but don't use them in your normal job (don't get to use them) then why not practice according to what tests want? Should you just not practice anything at all then come into a job and say "I haven't used or thought about any of my skills for 2 years but who cares I got this."

I would 100% rather have a medic or EMT who has been practicing skills based on tests then a medic or EMT who hasn't practiced anything for a long time who thinks "Ahhhh these skills are easy. I got this".

No doubt it is preferable to have some sort of practice rather than none at all. However I am also no fan of the EMT that talks about how often he practices his assessment on his girlfriend but is still worthless on a call. The wrong kind of practice breeds the wrong kind of perfect, if there is in fact any sort of perfect to be had. This partner supposedly practiced his assessments all the time, but no call is textbook. Assessing a healthy person is easy, even one faking sick. He on the other hand simply could not cope with any sort of deviation, i.e. a staff member also on scene, the patient being unable to concisely answer questions, I could go on. We had a nice talk about assessments after the fact which I hope was helpful, but I really doubt it considering all he talked about was making better scenarios.

The point is that practicing only gets you so far. You need real, sick patients. If you have to go out and find them because you don't see enough at your job, do so. Volunteer, shadow ER staff, ride with fire, get creative. If you don't have those opportunities, well I am not sure what to tell you frankly. Ideas welcome.

Hell yesterday when I onsited a rollover on the interstate in my POV, I will admit I was a little frazzled. I get MVAs very rarely at work, and when I do I have a chance to mentally get into gear instead of it just appearing in front of me. Could my assessment of this patient have been more fluid? You bet. But I also haven't responded to an MVA in over a year and still managed to get a proper assessment out of the way before fire showed up, perhaps evidence that you don't forget as much as you think you do.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Real patients is also going to be the best but some people in don't have that opinion. For example in my area there isn't any places where you can volunteer. If you have your NREMT then you can't do ride outs at most ambulance companies. So you are left with no choice but to practice on non sick patients.

If I wasn't employed I would be SOL. I'm to old for the fire departments explorer program. The volunteer program/reserve program is on freeze. Hospitals don't allow EMT volunteers (unless you want to make beds only and see no patient care). I have my NREMT so I can't ride out with ambulance companies.

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
Real patients is also going to be the best but some people in don't have that opinion. For example in my area there isn't any places where you can volunteer. If you have your NREMT then you can't do ride outs at most ambulance companies. So you are left with no choice but to practice on non sick patients.

If I wasn't employed I would be SOL. I'm to old for the fire departments explorer program. The volunteer program/reserve program is on freeze. Hospitals don't allow EMT volunteers (unless you want to make beds only and see no patient care). I have my NREMT so I can't ride out with ambulance companies.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you do ride outs with an ambulance company if you're nationally registered?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just out of curiosity, why can't you do ride outs with an ambulance company if you're nationally registered?

Not sure why. I kept getting the "liability" reason.