Spider straps or Quick Clips?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Imagine said:
I'm not sure...I was told the reason but I forget...I think its because the velcro isn't secure enough?
if you don't treat them with care and replace them when they are old.. yes, the velcro can fall apart. If you use ones ingood repair, IMHO, you can secure someone to a backboard MUCH better.

Jon

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Every service in South Africa i know uses spider straps. using anything else is taboo. only "grandpa's backyeard ambulance service" uses anuthig else.

It works well coz everyone knows how to use them, even the school first aiders. everyone knows which part is for the head, and where u start. the only problem with straps in general, is with large pt's. trying to get the strap around the handle.

whats also nice is that most straps has this additional stropping for securing an O2 cilinder between the legs.

i like them.

Regards

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Jon, I challenge you to a Spinal Motion Restriction Strap Off... Ok, that sounded almost obscene.. but I'd put my Straight Strapping technique up against ANYONE's Spider strapping.... 98% of the time (made up statistic) when Spider Straps are applied, they are not applied correctly, or even effectively.

Ok Jon, when and where do you want to meet... :lol:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
This may sound dumb - but can someone take some photos of each piece of equipment? I think that seeing how each piece of equipment *should* be used (in your opinions) would be useful to some of us (like me) that rarely encounter spider straps.

:)

(our county uses 3 straps)

and Google Images has failed me.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
These are "Spider Straps".... I'll try to find a pic of them being used.

Attachments

• Spider Strap.jpg
    Spider Strap.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 306

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Here is a HIPAA friendly picture of a "patient" backboarded. Lot of straps at www.allmed.net. Tell Buddy I said Hi!

Attachments

• straps for emtlife.jpg
    straps for emtlife.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 309

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
joemt said:
Here is a HIPAA friendly picture of a "patient" backboarded. Lot of straps at www.allmed.net. Tell Buddy I said Hi!

I oughta take some photos of our county method. It's far less interesting. ;-)

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
We use spider straps here, unless its a larger pt then we get out the trusty old 9 foot straps and use them...of course 9 foot straps also help to make the stretcher straps larger too:)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
We use 9' straps but we use a cross technique when strapping a pt, works well for us.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm not a fan of the 9-foot straps... they are too long, and easily tangle up...

In PA, the rules say every ambulance must have 5 9ft straps... if you use speed clips, 3 can be speed-clips, but 2 still have to be 9ft straps.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Wingnut said:
We use 9' straps but we use a cross technique when strapping a pt, works well for us.

A cross technique? Never heard of that one. How does it work?

I'm telling you guys, it would be great to see photos of how you guys do some of this stuff.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'll try to take photos next time we do training.

The "cross" Wingnut talks of is to "cross" the top two straps in an "X" across the torso. This is good and bad, but you MUST go under the arms, or the straps can't stay on.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Actually Jon we do it over the shoulder and under the arms but it has to be done just right or it won't work. We also cross the strap at the legs. And HRS requires us to carry 15-9'ft straps and 3 backboards on our rigs.

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
so I haven't read the whole thread, and I'm not on a service yet... but I prefer spider straps for the quick-and-easy and the 9' for super secure.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Wingnut said:
And HRS requires us to carry 15-9'ft straps and 3 backboards on our rigs.

Must be nice to have a rig with all that room...DHEC only requires us to have 2 boards and 2 sets of straps, whichever kind we want...and keep that on the trucks is a challenge in a rural setting with so many people taking the helo to the trauma centers and whatnot

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You haven't despised backboarding until you try putting disposable plastic straps on in the pouring rain. The things won't stick!

Unfortunately we don't have any regular (9 foot) or spider straps to use in these situations.

OECTECH

Forum Probie
At the Ambulance Corp. I am at on Long Island we use quick clips. Not my personal favorite as ive said before. I like the spiders just seem more secure to me then the quick clips. But for quick and easy transport they seem great.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I like speed clips a lot. They are, for the most part, very easy to use and very sturdy. With two crisscrossed over the chest, one at the hips, another above or below the knees, and the last one lashed around the feet, your pt. is incredibly stable. With that exact combo of straps, I've been strapped to the board and turned upside down without any fear of falling out. They're simple, inexpensive, and great to whip your partner with.