Spider straps or Quick Clips?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Spider straps or Quick Clips, which do we like better and why?

~Stevo

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
neither. I prefer webbing. It's slow, but I'm most comfortable with it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
emtff376 said:
neither. I prefer webbing. It's slow, but I'm most comfortable with it.
Gee... sounds like you've worked ski patrol.

Spider Straps or webbing done correctly is MUCH more secure than 3 or 4 straps. Best is to strap someone in, and then use saran wrap to hold them to the board. This secures the body over a greater surface. Takes time, but this way you get complete immobilization.

As for speed - Speed Clips are easier and quicker to use without much practice. It takes time to be good with a spider strap.

Also - the spider strap is 80 bucks. Good speed clips are 10 bucks each. If one strap gets cut, you are out 10 dollars, not 80.

If you ask me what I have with my personal board I have in my shed? - Spider Strap.

natrab

Forum Crew Member
We use the clips where I work, but I greatly prefer combat strapping (or even box method) with 9ft straps over them. The clips just don't secure the pt well enough for me.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Cost? over spinal protection?

Stop... You'll make me sick!

:censored:
I think I need to give my classic speech that I use when I instruct.

I'm in favor of spider straps simply because they restrict movement at the four necessary places 1) Shoulders. 2) Chest/Torso. 3) Pelvis. 4) Legs.

Speed straps for the most part consist of three straps, "X" over the chest and one for the legs. IMO, providers either don't pay attention in class, or their instructors are goddamn stupid. What do we learn from cause and effect?

We aren't immobilizing, we're splinting, immobilization is done with screws and rods in an OR. It is our goal to place the spine in a natural position, and prevent the ENTIRE body from moving. Head to toe is important, and nothing is more important that securing that assumed area. That includes prevention of movement in the head, neck, shoulders, arms, chest, torso, pelvis, and legs. If the pelvis is free to move or wiggle, it creates rotational trauma if there is shattered vertebra near the spinal column, this in part can rip through causing irreversible damage.

The arms should also be strapped down. If you pay attention to what you do, and try different methods, this will not hinder your exam or treatment. The patient should already have their clothes removed, so your BP, IV placement, and electrode placement will be just as easy.

It is important for every patient to have a properly sized collar, neutral c-spine position, CID, blocks that firmly hold the head in place, strong-fitted straps that do not restrict breathing but prevent movement.

I must add this.. Splint as you wish, but remember the importance of movement restriction, and weigh that into your decision when it comes to rolling that board onto it's side when your patient vomits - to prevent aspiration. Because your suction will only take so much, so fast. If you will not be able to move your patient to protect their airway, then the method you are using is doomed to fail the victim.

Last edited by a moderator:

SWVAEMT

Forum Probie
Well said TTLWHKR

I like spider straps over quick-clips. More secure and easier to work with IMO as long as they've been put away properly. Using them with a board that is set up for quick-clips can be a pain though and God help the #@&^er that keeps rolling them up instead of accordian folding them if I ever catch them. Might as well tie them in a knot.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We use spider straps here as well, and with a little bit of training they're not that difficult to use.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
We use these three cheap plastic-ish disposable straps that are sticky on the ends. I'd rather use a spider strap or regular straps.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MMiz said:
We use these three cheap plastic-ish disposable straps that are sticky on the ends. I'd rather use a spider strap or regular straps.
I've seen them and used them. I have 2 sets in my jump bag in my trunk - they are disposable, and I don't get too upset if I use them.

Jon

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
interesting replies

personally i think there is merit in each method, depending on usage

immobilization vs. quick movement (codes for ex)

and emtff376 (or anyone) could you please explain 'webbing' (all i can think of is spiderman)

~Stevo

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Webbing if I'm thinking right is taking a length of webbing and you cross it over the patient mulitiple times making x's up to the head of pt and then you cross across and tie it off. When I've used webbing it has been in a stokes basket. Hope that helps and if I'm mistaken some one else jump in.

We just got spider strap I love them they are easy to use and the do a good job securing the pt to the board. The first time I used them we had to stand the pt straight up to get him out the pt didn't move I was pretty impressed.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
i read this thread and the very next shift had to use the spider straps!! (i havent had to backboard in about a year, i work for a 2 ambulance 3rd party) coincidence?? no idea. just dont ask wether we prefer zoll or lifepack. i like my quiet days.

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, Jon, I've been a ski patroller for 15 years. Actually, our EMS rigs use webbing as well.

emtbuff you are correct. My webbing is two pieces, different colors (that will also be distinguishable under the amber night skiing lights), either tied in the middle or have a fastex clip in the middle. Starting at the pts mid chest, then over the shoulders, making crosses along the body to immobilize. Obviously, depending on the injuries, the crosses can be modified and the webbing can also be used to immobilize splints to the LSB.

I guess I'm just old school.

Ecnalubma

Forum Probie
I'm going to go against the crowd and say quick clips. It's what I was mainly taught to use in school and it's what we use here at my service. I guess it all depends on what you use more. Because I'm quicker with clips than spider straps, I'm going to like them better.

If done correctly they both will have the same end result. It really just depends which you are more comfortable with.

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
we used spider straps for quite awhile and while i prefer them for keeping the pt secure it was difficult sometimes because not all personnel were familiar with them...so now our c-spine bags carry the spider straps but we keep the quick clips on the backboards so depending on the situation we can use either or both!

~kb

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
I apologize, since this thread is old, but I just wanted to note that our state (MA) is considering taking spider straps out of protocol...

Personally, I learned on and am most comfortable with clips. If you secure them using the cross, a waist, and two leg straps, its as effective, if not more so than spiders.

That's just my preference.

OECTECH

Forum Probie
In Ski Patrol, or atleast at my resort, we use spider straps. Some bags come with webbing but I do prefer spiders they are easier to use and very secure. It gets cold fooling around with webbing with out gloves on at a ski mtn. in the winter.

But one thing we do is after getting the patient in we remove each spider and replace it with a cravat to transfer to ambulance. This way our $80 doesn't get cut into pieces each time we send someone out.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Imagine said:
I apologize, since this thread is old, but I just wanted to note that our state (MA) is considering taking spider straps out of protocol...

Personally, I learned on and am most comfortable with clips. If you secure them using the cross, a waist, and two leg straps, its as effective, if not more so than spiders.

That's just my preference.
I can't understand why they would be taken off protocol.

Spider straps are less frequently used, but can be BETTER than speed-clips or 9-foot straps.

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure...I was told the reason but I forget...I think its because the velcro isn't secure enough?